Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Conformation Clinic
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM  
Newborn Member

Exclamation Standardbred Yearling Conformation.

Hi all

This is "Mexican Bandito" or just Bandit (as I call him) He is my yearling Standardbred colt (gelding now), he just turned a year May 9, 2009. I was just wondering what you think of him Confromation wise, and other wise too. Tell me what you like and tell me what you dont like, thanks

This was him at four months

This is his momma (not a good pic, she was standing awesome, then did this weird thing as you see in the pic lol) Standing behind her is little baby Bandito

Give me the strength to guide my horse, make my hands soft and my headclear Let my horse understand me and I him.Grant me patience, for horses are harnessed wind and wind can be flighty. Let me notfrighten or harm him, instead show me ways to understand him.

Last edited by standardbredbaby : 06-05-2009 at 02:08 PM.
standardbredbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:50 PM  
Newborn Member

Exclamation

Hi, can someone please tell me why, when ever I post my horse, no one ever Responds, are my pictures not good enough? Please give me some pointers
Give me the strength to guide my horse, make my hands soft and my headclear Let my horse understand me and I him.Grant me patience, for horses are harnessed wind and wind can be flighty. Let me notfrighten or harm him, instead show me ways to understand him.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:55 PM  
Bombproof Member

Your pics are fine and I think you have a lovely colt.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 PM  
Started

he's cute, what are you planning on using him for?
Danni L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:02 PM  
Weanling Member

I don't really no much regarding conformation and such...but I will say he looks like my Rex who is also a Standardbred but he was from off the track so I would guess they may be slightly different. They have similar butts and his neck ties in almost exactly like Rexy's. His shoulders look a little upright...but it could just be me, my other horse has very upright shoulders and your little guy kind of looks slightly similar; not a lot just a little. Either way he's a real cutie...what are your plans for him?

-Alicia
Charlies'_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:50 PM  
Yearling Member

Is he a pacer ot a trotter? do you know his breeding? Trained them for 15yrs very interested in more info on him and what you plan on doing with him!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 PM  
Coming two

I love standardbreds. Most of them have big roman noses and goofy looking heads but I think they're beautiful!

Your colt seems to have a very nice head for a standardbred. His mom is beautiful! I like his butt and legs, but I like a longer backed horse.

Either way, cute colt
Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 PM  
Weanling Member

I am horrible at conformation. I can say that he is handsome.

Is mom a standardbred? I don't know much about the breed.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Rafflesgirl
I think he is really pretty. I don't know much about standardbred conformation, but I like his head, he seems to have a sweet face, nice ears. I think his legs are nice and straight from the view of the person holding him. I think his color is gorgeous and I think his back is short, but fine, don't standardbreds have a bit shorter back? Looks good to me.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Pikkens View Post
Your pics are fine and I think you have a lovely colt.
Thank you very much, I love the little fellow
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni L View Post
he's cute, what are you planning on using him for?
He will be my riding horse, not too sure what he likes yet so its hard to say what sport he wil enjoy, but STBS are very good at a lot of things
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies'_Angel View Post
I don't really no much regarding conformation and such...but I will say he looks like my Rex who is also a Standardbred but he was from off the track so I would guess they may be slightly different. They have similar butts and his neck ties in almost exactly like Rexy's. His shoulders look a little upright...but it could just be me, my other horse has very upright shoulders and your little guy kind of looks slightly similar; not a lot just a little. Either way he's a real cutie...what are your plans for him?

-Alicia
Well they are both still Standardbreds to they are similar, his bloodlines are Racing lines, as not many people know much about STBS. And a lot people dont think they are good at anything except pulling a Race Bike, just because they dont know much about them, not a common riding breed at all. Upright shoulders are a good thing, in some intances. So THANKS Im glad he reminds you of your horse, They are real sweet horses arent they?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaudieAndy View Post
Is he a pacer ot a trotter? do you know his breeding? Trained them for 15yrs very interested in more info on him and what you plan on doing with him!
He is a Pacer, Canadian STBS are always Pacers, and its hilarious because he has never even seen Hobbles, but he paces like crazy. So cute.

I do know his breeding Actually, his Sire is "Cavalier Semalu" and on the bottom is "Shesgoodgoodgood" mom wasnt a good racer she didnt have any care for going fast down the track, a nice horse though, Dad did race, made a bit of money, and now lives here in AB

MEADOW SKI..
P 3 1:55.1M
HL$ 428,057
VOODOO HAN..
BYE BYE BY..
P 5 T1:56.1M
HL$ 554,272
KEYSTONE S..
P 3 2:05.2H
HL$ 11,163
GENE ABBE
TINY WAVE
TAR HEEL
P 4 T1:57.0M
HL$ 119,148
JOAN GENES..
P 2 2:06.1H
HL$ 11,784
ALBATROSS
P 4 1:54.3F
HL$ 1,201,470
KEYSTONE SANDRA
P 3 2:02.1F
HL$ 69,086
BIG TOWNER
P 4 1:54.4M
HL$ 547,126
JOANETTE HANOVER
KIEV HANOVER*
P 3 1:50.1M
HL$ 610,179
BELLE DE SEMALU
P 2 2:03.0F
HL$ 11,141
CAVALIER SEMALU
DAD!!

I actually Trained STBS for a year here in Alberta, I am going to use him as a riding horse. Dont know what sport yet though.

Last edited by standardbredbaby : 06-05-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:56 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM Farm View Post
I am horrible at conformation. I can say that he is handsome.

Is mom a standardbred? I don't know much about the breed.
Thank you very much, Yes mom and Dad are both Standardbreds, in order to race i think they have to be purebreed. My young colt is Freeze Branded and Registered (when he was super young)
Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafflesgirl View Post
I think he is really pretty. I don't know much about standardbred conformation, but I like his head, he seems to have a sweet face, nice ears. I think his legs are nice and straight from the view of the person holding him. I think his color is gorgeous and I think his back is short, but fine, don't standardbreds have a bit shorter back? Looks good to me.
Awee thanks He has a reallynice head for a Standard they often have huge heads so that is awesome lol. Actually the opposite of short backs, they useually tend to have Longer backs, so its good that his is short now, lol because it may grow longer haha. Thank you so much
Old 06-05-2009, 05:09 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Well they are both still Standardbreds to they are similar, his bloodlines are Racing lines, as not many people know much about STBS. And a lot people dont think they are good at anything except pulling a Race Bike, just because they dont know much about them, not a common riding breed at all. Upright shoulders are a good thing, in some intances. So THANKS Im glad he reminds you of your horse, They are real sweet horses arent they?
Thats probably why they look close, Rex has racing lines too. He was only raced in 4 races if memory serves me correctly and as a Pacer. I use him as my trail horse, he's awesome. I've never really had any problems with him except that he won't trot more then 5 steps with a rider on his back . They are really are big sweethearts, and they always seem very willing to try new things. I notice they can be alittle stubborn at times though, or maybe thats just Rexys personality.

-Alicia
Charlies'_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 PM  
Yearling Member

What do you meen all Canadian STBs are pacers? Trained them for 15yrs! Regards of riding they are amazing at any disipline! I always rode and rehomed my ex-racers! I have owned many Canadian stbs trotters! They were the first stb race horse pacers came later!

Last edited by LaudieAndy : 06-06-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: wrong info
LaudieAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:55 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUpNorthCowgirl View Post
I love standardbreds. Most of them have big roman noses and goofy looking heads but I think they're beautiful!

Your colt seems to have a very nice head for a standardbred. His mom is beautiful! I like his butt and legs, but I like a longer backed horse.

Either way, cute colt
I love the big heads, they're so regal looking. I was just having a conversation with Stormy on how those of us who grew up knowing the horse breeds by the foundation stock (aka we're older than dirt) love and appreciate each breed for its uniqueness.

That being said, being able to critique conformtion is a whole nother kettle of fish. Too many things to know, to look for, to put together, to of experienced, too few people who you should really pay attention to. That's why we don't say anything, cuz we don't know! Sorry. All I can tell you is that you have a nice looking boy not much help, sorry. My main thing about horses is their personalities, its pretty much all that matters to me, so I'm even worse than no help
Old 06-07-2009, 02:18 PM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies'_Angel View Post
Thats probably why they look close, Rex has racing lines too. He was only raced in 4 races if memory serves me correctly and as a Pacer. I use him as my trail horse, he's awesome. I've never really had any problems with him except that he won't trot more then 5 steps with a rider on his back . They are really are big sweethearts, and they always seem very willing to try new things. I notice they can be alittle stubborn at times though, or maybe thats just Rexys personality.

-Alicia
Yeh forsure a lot of them look similar! my horse has never raced never will, but hes really good for me! They are very gentle horses, even tempered, easy to trian, mine is a it stubborn too, but comes around nicely
Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 PM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaudieAndy View Post
What do you meen all Canadian STBs are pacers? Trained them for 15yrs! Regards of riding they are amazing at any disipline! I always rode and rehomed my ex-racers! I have owned many Canadian stbs trotters! They were the first stb race horse pacers came later!
What i mean by Pacers is The majority of Standardbreds in Western Canada are "pacing bred". Meaning they dont ever Trot in a race, or else they are disqualified. We dont have Trotting races in Alberta or Western Canada. Were your from, I wouldnt know, because I have never raced them there. And we didnt send our horses there, because they dont trot, they Pace from birth, very interesting, lol its funny watching my colt, he paces when excited

Yes they are great in any disipline, which is awesome. They are amazing horses. Do you still train them?? And yeah trotters where first, then breeding made them pace, i have never seen a trotter lol.

They are easy to rehome im sure, such good minds!!!!!

Last edited by standardbredbaby : 06-07-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Conformation Clinic