Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 PM  
Long Yearling

Unhappy Very Small Kitten!! Runt of the Litter??**Pics and Sad Update**

Our orange and white kitten of the litter of 6, is very small, compared to the others. He does get in there and drink milk along with the others.....and walks around...he may not be quite as active as the others, but he is active......I have just noticed his considerablte size difference the last couple of days...and wasn't sure if he is just the runt or what?? What do you guys think?? Any suggestions?? Does he need more milk than he is getting like some kitty milk replacer along with the breastmilk?? I assume they can start picking at softened kitten food in a couple of weeks?? They will be 4 weeks on Friday......

Last edited by Luv2Game : 11-29-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Luv2Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 PM  
Long Yearling

aww i dont think you really have too much to worry about.
hes a cutie..look at them boys with there lil kitties awww..

hes just the runt is all it looks like..
they can start picking at soft wet cat food bt keep them on the nipple or the milk for as long as you can..well at least the 8 weeks.

i always had my kittens stay nursing until they were about 3 months old.almost 4 plus kitten food..they all got big an fat there were runts too...and they got fat too..

good luck
Gids_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 PM  
Pasture Pet

I think if he is still active he will be fine. I would go ahead and start offering them some canned kitty food, I normally mix up some kitten milk replacer and mix it with the canned food to make it nice and soupy.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 PM  
Started

not so much the runt as a premie; cats have a "Y" shaped uterus and can conceive at different points during their heat in different horns of their uterus and the kittens are then younger then ones conceived earlier in the heat. But since they all get born at the same time..that is why you have a runt he is a cutie though
k

“Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.”
St Francis
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 PM  
Started

If he's not getting all the milk that he needs....(the others are stronger and get the most of it) that could be all that it is...he needs supplemented......and I feed mine kitty milk blended with kitten chow at 4 weeks....seems like they get so hungry at that point, some mothers can't produce enough to satisfy or leads me to think that he could have an internal problem such as, heart, colon not developed correctly or intestinal. Have you wormed the kittens yet? I know it's not as bad as puppies contracting from mothers milk but it is something that can be ruled out later during a fecal exam....could have some sort of bacterial thing going on....probably not coccidia because he's still on mom's immunity....good luck with the little guy.

SACREDWINDWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 PM  
Long Yearling

Ok little update........I went and got kitten milk replacer and kitten food and kitten canned food......I mixed up a small spoonful of the canned food, and some warmed up milk replacer...made it kinda soupy and tried to feed it to him....He might have swallowed a little bit, but not much, wasn't real interested. I had it on a paper plate so I grabbed a couple of the other kittens to see what they would do, and they weren't interested either.......

He will walk around, but only to go join the group, or go to momma....the others are starting to play. He is not. I don't know what I should do.....He is drinking off of momma.........Do I just leave him be and hope he is just the runt??? He was the same size as the others when they were born, and was also the same size up until about a week ago, and has only been noticeably smaller in the last couple of days........He is my middle son's favortie kitten, and he named him Pip at first, but has now changed it to Gizmo........I will be so sad if we can't save him...........

Old 11-25-2008, 01:58 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Shiloveshorses
IMO I would just leave him. If he is eating that is the main thing. I have had a few that were smaller and came out just fine. He is a cutie.

Don't give up on today's dreams as they could be tomorrow's reality.........http://www.gofundme.com/71uatk
Shiloveshorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:05 PM  
Long Yearling

Thanks very much!! I watched momma feed, and boy are those babies aggressive...2 were even kinda fighting over a nipple....so I decided I would take momma cat, and only the orange and white one, and let it eat in peace for awhile........He ate for about 15 minutes and then momma wanted to get up....I had him change nipples every 4 min. or so, to make sure he was getting enough milk.....I think I will just try and do that several times a day. Cause the other kitties are a lot stronger than him, and he might just be getting pushed out of the way.........By the way, he also purred the whole time he ate!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:19 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to cowgirlspurs
I would be suspicious about his growth--his head is significantly larger than his body-something unusual. Cat's are porportionallly even throughout growth, which is why no matter the breed they typically look the same (unlike dogs which change drastically over a short period).
Hopefully the extra feeding works--but I have a feeling there is something more involved.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:45 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I would start offering them canned food now. Also you could try supplementing the little guy with a bottle. What cute kittys, nice markings.

BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 AM  
Kid Safe

Making sure he gets to eat, by himself, is a terrific idea!!
Have you had him checked out by a vet?

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:56 AM  
Pasture Pet

What cuties, and the boys are handsome too
Sounds like a great idea about feeding separate.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 AM  
Newborn Member

Don't worry
One of my kittens were teeny because she was the runt of the litter
Western Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:23 AM  
Kid Safe

I don't like the way he's sitting in the pics. It says to me he's in trouble. Then you tell me he's not active. These are not good signs.

I have a kitten I'm bottle feeding and he was like that. He was the same size as his brother and then he fell behind in size. I decided it was a worm overload and wormed them. Then I looked in their ears and found them to be severly infested with ear mites. Now I worm them once a week and am treating them for the mites. The kittens are now eight weeks old and though he is half the size of his brother he is now active and playful.

Making him change nipples every few minutes may seam like a good idea but he could be deprived of getting any milk. I feel that a cat is like other creatures in that it takes time for them to have a letdown. When the kittens nurse watch them. You'll notice a lot of neading then all of a sudden they start sucking really fast the neading may stop and the tail becomes stiff and slightly erect. Mom has just had a letdown and the milk is flowing. It doesn't last long and the milk is gone. The kittens release and start searching for another nipple or they are content and fall asleep.

If it were me I'd give him the milk replacer three times a day and keep him with mom. The kitten food is a solid and can slow down the digestion making him less hungry for the all importent breast milk. But if you feel he should have a solid food give him spam or babyfood meat. Cat food has a lot of fillers in it and should be fed when he's older.

If he wasn't so importent to some little boys I'd say gamble on him making it by doing nothing but seeing those bright and shining faces I'd say the kitten can use all the help he can get.

He is adorable! I hope he makes it.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 AM  
Bombproof Member

I wouldn't recommend making him switch nipples until he unlatches on his own. By switching him, he could end up getting all the foremilk and none of the hindmilk, which is the fattier of the two.

I sure hope he makes it, your boys look like they are in love.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 AM  
Long Yearling

Thanks so Much Farmergal and Orchid...I won't have him change nipples anymore....I will just continue with the replacer and also have him nurse off of mom by himself, and just let him do 1 nipple.......He does do the neading with his front feet...not as much as the others do, but he does do it......He is so cute, and my little Spencer will be SO sad if he doesn't make it.........Farmergal, you are right, he sits kinda weird, very unactive, and like he is weak............I will just keep doing this and hope for the best!!!! Thanks so Much for all of your advice and support!! I will give updates!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 PM  
Long Yearling

Well, I have a sad update.....Little Pip died during the night last night! Yesterday I could tell he wasn't doing well......I had to force him to lick after I dropped some formula on his toungue, where before, he would lick and swallow really well!! Poor little guy!! He did have a little bit of blood around his rectum and on his tail Thursday, and also had kinda dried messy diarhea.......Soon after I noticed it, momma cat cleaned him up.........But I wonder if that could have something to do with what was wrong with him??? He was so little!!! His meow was so precious and cute!!! I feel bad, but am glad he is gone in case he was suffering!! Wanted to share some last photos of him........

Here is Pip nursing off of mom by himself....

Here is Pip nursing...I added one of his siblings to show you the size difference...

Here is Pip and Spencer...he wanted to hold his kitty a lot once he knew it was dying....I think he was wanting to comfort him......

Pip in my hands after he was done nursing....

On a better note.......Here are the other kittens at 4 weeks, minus one that was playing in the other corner...

Thanks everyone for your advice and ideas on Pip........They were much appreciated!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:58 PM  
Pasture Pet

I'm so sorry about the loss of your little one, no matter what it is so hard to loose anyone. Hugs to you and your family.

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 AM  
Kid Safe

I'm so sorry to hear that Pip didn't make it!
It's just extra tragic when a baby dies. At least he knew he was loved!!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 PM  
Kid Safe

My heart aches for Spencer. Sorry bud that you had to loose Pip. I'm sure he loved you too!

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats