Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM  
Greenbroke Member

How to tame a 'wild' barn cat?

We have a white and orange cat at the barn now. This cat has been hanging around since last fall...it is SLOWLY starting to come out around people. It might be coming out more when other people are around...but lately I've hardly been there.

Anyways, today while I was doing chores; I kept hearing this loud cry. I quietly walked around the stack of hay and saw him or her...not really sure what sex it is yet.

I gave it some feed and backed off...surprisingly the little guy came around and was eating the cat food.

Here he is....

Does anyone have any ideas on how to tame him? He/she will get shots and fixed if need be by our BM.

I was talking to him and trying to get him use to my voice. The horses don't scare him at all.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:14 PM  
Started

Just keep feeding him. Get him something really tasty (fish-flavored or turkey giblets canned are usually good choices) and put the bowl down and don't go too far away while he eats. Try to get closer and closer each time you feed him without scaring him. He will associate you with the good food and eventually let you get closer. It takes time, but that is the best way - unless you can trap him in a live animal trap and bring him in. Then that is a whole different ball game.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 PM  
Pasture Pet

I have to agree with Bandit, its time and food.

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:54 AM  
Long Yearling

hmm...I was thinking putting little bits of Fancy Feast in the palm of your hand, and letting him come up to your hand to eat out of it. Just be somewhere in the barn where is completely quiet and nothing unexpected will move and just sit there and let him take his time to walk up to you...it will be a while before he just gives up and walks over, but timing is always rewarded.

THO,I am not sure if it will actually work, but its worth every shot ....

wish you luck.
WalliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Maybe I will just keep giving him food and talk to him. I honestly don't know if I want to feed him out of my hand before he gets his shots.

He is a cute little guy. He has been sticking around so far...so I guess he will stick around for good.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:20 AM  
Bombproof Member

He's a cutie! Good luck!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM  
Coming two

He has a sweet face, canned food and time, works like a charm on the feline persuasion
Old 03-01-2008, 02:51 PM  
Kid Safe

Honestly, the best thing to do is, use a live trap of course, trap him, take him to the vet for neutering and shots.
I have done this with several cats. Take care of any health and reproductive issues first.
I have not lost one single cat. Everyone has stayed, and (I really believe) are easier to tame. They don't seem to hold any grudges, it's like you had nothing to do with the ordeal.
Give him food, space and care. I always talk to the cats, from whatever distance they are comfortable. The words don't matter, just the tone. I tell them, in a loving voice, that they are safe and have nothing to worry about. If you have other small animals pet them, love on them, whatever, where the cat can see you. Proves that you are not a threat.
You are a wonderful person for wanting to do right by this cat!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 AM  
Yearling Member

I agree with the whole food and time angle. After he gets used to coming out around you and knows that you are the snack person, then pull out the special snacks. I have never seen a cat turn down cheese slices--the wrapped kind. I throw them where the cat can get small pieces, find out how tasty they are, then eventually move on to hand feeding them larger pieces. Just watch those fingers if the pieces are too small or the kitty too eager.
"To err is human, to forgive is equine"
blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:20 PM  
Started

Any updates on how its going?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 AM  
Long Yearling

he's cute looks like our wild cat max. If I live near you I could tame that can in about a day. I had a wild cat named kitty and I tamed her and when she was alive she acted like a dog, came when you called, sat and laid down when you told her to and even walked on a leash
horsegirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Any updates on how its going?
I haven't seen him...er or her around lately. He comes around when he wants food in the mornings.

We've been leaving him food to eat. Since the snow finally melted again and it is getting warm out again...hopefully he will come out more.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats