Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2007, 05:13 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
What to do about litter dust?

I'm short on cash right now and had to switch my cat Lucy from Feline Pine (I love that it's flushable!) to regular kitty litter. She grew up on the regular stuff so it's nothing new, but the dust is unbelievable! After I cleaned her box and refilled it with the new litter, she sneezed about six times from the stupid dust.

I fully plan on switching her back to Feline Pine once finances are back in order but until then, I'm worried about the dust. Is it harmful to either of us? Can I spritz the litterbox with water to help keep things less dusty or will that activate the clay in the litter and make it clumpy & useless?

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." Alice Cullen
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:16 PM  
Pasture Pet

I think if you spritz it lightly, it will kill the dust without getting goopy...
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:27 PM  
Halter broke

I use Fresh Step. Unless I've gotten used to it, it isn't that dusty. You could always use shredded newspaper. It is a bit more work but not at all dusty.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 PM  
Seasoned

Not sure which litter you're using, but Fresh Step, as mentioned, is good...as well as Johnny Cat for multiple cats. Even if you only have the one, the multiple cat blend is really good.

One of my favorite tricks is to put in the litter, and then dust the top with baking soda. It isn't dusty, and will help the odors be neutralized. Additionally, it creates sort of a "top" and that helps with any dust.

Best of luck; and as far as I know, dusty's not dangerous...if it were, the way I keep house, we'd all be dead.

Best-
Noni
Old 06-29-2007, 02:22 PM  
Yearling Member

Honestly, if you're short on cash and like the litter pellets?

Go to your feed store and get the 50lb bag that I use for horse bedding for Captain. It's the same thing, and it costs me $7.50 a bag instead of 15.00 for an 18lb of Feline Pine. You can use fireplace pellets too, but just be sure they're not treated with anything before you use them - that's why I'd personally use the horse ones. I'm always nervous about chemicals and cats.

As for the clay dust - it can cause cats with allergies or asthma to react badly to it and have issues. I had a cat growing up who was asthmatic (he took meds for years) and one of the rules the vet was straight forward about was "No clay litter for him!"

I personally wouldn't use clay litters any more, except that Luke has issues with other litter types and will pee on my computer chair instead of the box. He wins that round at my house, for sure. So, we have four types of litters here, and everyone uses their favorite and is happy and I don't have to have the pleasure of dropping into a leather chair with a puddle on it. *grin*
Old 06-29-2007, 04:58 PM  
Seasoned

Geez Shep, that's an AWESOME idea.

I've been struggling with trying to find an alternative to clay litter that's affordable and easily disposable. I'm tired of making trips to the dump to get rid of the clay and the pellet bedding could be burned, or at least break down eventually. And it's cheap!

So, just regular pellet bedding for horses, huh? The same stuff I've walked by plenty of times whenever I'm in TSC. Can't believe I never thought of it...
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:44 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepdog View Post
Honestly, if you're short on cash and like the litter pellets?

Go to your feed store and get the 50lb bag that I use for horse bedding for Captain. It's the same thing, and it costs me $7.50 a bag instead of 15.00 for an 18lb of Feline Pine. You can use fireplace pellets too, but just be sure they're not treated with anything before you use them - that's why I'd personally use the horse ones. I'm always nervous about chemicals and cats.

As for the clay dust - it can cause cats with allergies or asthma to react badly to it and have issues. I had a cat growing up who was asthmatic (he took meds for years) and one of the rules the vet was straight forward about was "No clay litter for him!"

I personally wouldn't use clay litters any more, except that Luke has issues with other litter types and will pee on my computer chair instead of the box. He wins that round at my house, for sure. So, we have four types of litters here, and everyone uses their favorite and is happy and I don't have to have the pleasure of dropping into a leather chair with a puddle on it. *grin*
O.K., now, that's a brilliant idea. I have 8 cats, and have used Feline Pine a few times. It's too expensive, but my guys like it (well, they'll all use the litter, no matter what I put in there...they're good like that).

Do you mean to tell me that I can pay $7-8 for 50 pounds, instead of 5 for 16 pounds of clay? The math is something I'm liking a lot...

And yes, I'll make sure that it's not treated...

Best-
Noni
Old 06-30-2007, 03:19 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
We even have a feed store here in town where I could get it! I never thought to buy a 50lb bag of it - brilliant!

Now, how to convince a certain male roommate to haul 50 pounds of kitty litter up into our apartment

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." Alice Cullen
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats