Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 PM  
Kid Safe

How to live trap a tom cat?

So, I have this tom cat that's adopted my female cats. However, he's already killed an entire litter of kittens and I have another female about to have a litter.

Suffice it to say that I want him gone. He's friendly and has apparently been someone's cat because he knows what a cat carrier is. I can't get him in it.

How can I live trap him without getting the other cats in the mix?

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:41 PM  
Weanling Member

couple of options:
my animal control person will allow you to 'rent' a live trap for 30 dollars (which is refunded when the trap is returned). Put some nice stinky food in there and you usually get them quick!
Ask any local stray/feral rescue if you can use a trap - they might take the cat too!
Buy a live trap - then rent it out to others

You can try a Wile E Coyote-esq trick with a cage and ropes and etc but I have found a live trap to be best. They cant get back out if it is in good working condition!!

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual" =House=
ThatsAlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Or, you could shoot him. Bullets are cheap.

"I'll keep my guns, my religion, and my money - you can keep the change."
Seanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:11 PM  
Kid Safe

Yep, hubby wants to shoot him and I was right there with him when he killed the kitten in front of me.

However, I just can't see shooting a cat that sits on your feet and purrs, even if he is a killer cat.

He's bound to be adopted by someone if I can just get him there! He's dang friendly. Too dang friendly.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

Old 05-21-2007, 08:20 PM  
Weanling Member

He sits on your feet, but you cannot catch him? Or, are you afraid of him scratchig/biting you?
Along with using a live trap, can you drug some food for him, make it easier to catch?
donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:26 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via MSN to annag307 Send a message via Yahoo to annag307
Range, I have a great solution! hehehe
I will ship my crazy nut job, sadie the aussie to you. U sit on the lawn hidden, holding sadie and when he is right there let her go. She will catch him for ya. hehehe.

No, I am an animal lover and she wouldnt eat him. Just hold him for ya.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:28 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
I guess nuetering him is not an option?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna
He sits on your feet, but you cannot catch him? Or, are you afraid of him scratchig/biting you?
That is my question too! Although I will say that we had a tomcat once who apparently wanted to be friendly but would purr as he slashed at your hands with his claws. Very odd behavior.

I had a live trap in place for a while with my fox problem and I caught my neighbor's cat twice with some stinky food. Stinky food would be my suggestion.

What do you intend to do with the cat once you have him trapped?
EquineLaw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 PM  
Kid Safe

Take him to the shelter. He's not mine, nor do I want him. He appeared. I wouldn't mind, but he not only killed kittens, he killed his OWN kittens. I do not like crying over mama cat and 6 dead kittens.

I think you misunderstood. I can sure enough catch him. But, he weighs like 15 pounds and it's all muscle. I can't get him wrapped in a towel and he is the master of escape. He twists and turns and manipulates until he gets away. The rubber maid container didn't work, the cat carrier can't even be approached while holding the cat, and the dog carrier got shredded. I wore welding gloves for protection because he will scratch and bite to get away.

He is a stray barn cat.... I'll pay the fee for the shelter, I won't just drop him somewhere, but he canNOT be allowed to kill kittens.

The mama cats are barn cats and I don't have a way to contain them to keep their kittens safe. I would be afraid the one mama cat would kill her own kittens to get out.

Yes, I am contemplating getting them spayed.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:53 PM  
Seasoned

I was going to suggest welding gloves for sure! Next time, sedate him. When he comes up to your feet and purrs, put some ace in some stinky wet catfood. Sit and pet him for 5 minutes or so while it starts to take affect and then INTO THE PILLOWCASE!
miss leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 PM  
Coming two

I agree with miss leanne. Ace does wonders with crazy cats! Grabbing him by the scruff and then holding his back feet and kind of "stretching" him is a pretty good way to keep hold of a cat as long as you can keep a good grip without hurting him. You kind of have to watch the front feet too but they are a little easier to avoid if you have his scruff and back feet lol. But ace would probably make things a lot easier. Just make sure you dont over do it because that might kill him and as far as I know there is no way to bring them out of it quickly.
StefanieLeann14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:17 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
Animal Control in stillwater uses "skunk traps" from Atwoods. Since I know them well i can borrow them for free. Wish I lived close - I'd come trap Mr. Baby-killer for you.

I'd get yourself a live trap from TSC or Atwoods. Bait it with canned food but be prepared to go through several cans in trying to catch a specific cat since your females will likely also want the food.

On TV I see them pick up snakes and toss them in thick pillowcases, quickly spinning the top of it so it shuts tight. The dark supposedly keeps the snake calm. Maybe you could try that.

Let us know how it goes!

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." — Alice Cullen
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:00 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to mellowdane
If you do use a live trap do not set it right away. Put food in it and let everybody eat out of it for at least 5-6 days until everyone is comfortable going in and out. Then don't feed the next day so they are hungrier and less timid about the whole thing.. then put more food in there (if possible lock up the moms so you don't go through the whole catch and release program with them). You usually only get one shot with the wily ones so you have to make it count.

M

Has is occurred to you that there's a certain inefficiency in questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about? - Spock
mellowdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 AM  
Halter broke

Go to the vet and get some Ace, as Stefanieleann said. I've used it on cats and it puts them out within 1/2 an hour. It takes about a teaspoon for a 15 pound cat, and you WILL be able to manipulate him into a carrier after he has been drugged. It's easy, put the Ace into some milk or wet cat food, and watch him eat it. I used this on my Aunts wild barn cat to shave the mats off of it. Worked like a charm. Ace is also good for sedating dogs and horses, but check the precautions with male horses before use!
mini_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:32 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss leanne
I was going to suggest welding gloves for sure! Next time, sedate him. When he comes up to your feet and purrs, put some ace in some stinky wet catfood. Sit and pet him for 5 minutes or so while it starts to take affect and then INTO THE PILLOWCASE!
This is a good idea - or trap him in some kind of net and transfer him to a carrier - while sedated that is. Cats can go crazy when they think they are going to be confined.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
hmmm..... is there a small room you can confine him too, like tack room or something? then bring in the carrier, can put his food in it and play the waiting game? Or start feeding them all in there for a day or so.... just leave the door open? then maybe sneak attach him?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:18 AM  
Kid Safe

He climbs...

Quote:
Cats can go crazy when they think they are going to be confined.
Boy, I sure wish I'd known that when I stuffed him in the rubber maid container! I tried a feed sack, too, while I was holding one of the dead kittens .

I had no idea tomcats could be so evil to the little ones.

ACE? Really? I HAVE Ace! A teaspoon? I'm catching me a tomcat TONIGHT!! My other mama is SO CLOSE to delivering and I'm terrified of finding more dead kitties.

Thank you, thank you, thank you and wish me luck!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:21 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

I'm wishing you lots of luck! I know you can catch that darn putty cat!!!

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 AM  
Started

you catch a tom cat...

........very, very carefully!!!! as I sit here trying to type with a very sore kitten bitten finger. Anyone need a very pretty orange maralade tabby? I netted this one with a big dip net, which would not work so well on a real cat, this is just a wee sharp fanged baby.

good luck and watch your fingers..
I hope the ace worked
k
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats