Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 05:19 PM  
Long Yearling

"At Home" Neutering?????

Hey everyone!! Just a quick question. As any of you know that read my post about Princess and her kitten, we got certifiactes to get our cats spayed or neutered. Well, we also have 2 toms that started as strays but this has become their home. I did not include them when I told the lady how many cats we have. I hate to ask for two more certificates as they have been so generous the way it is. Here is my question. I knew a lady that did all of her own neutering at home. I know this is done to goats and cows, but just wondering if any of you know the details, positive or negative. The process I am wondering about is tying a string or rubberband around the testicles. Cuts off the blood supply and eventually the testicles die and fall off. Now, this sounds so gruesome to me, and I know nothing about it. So I am wondering if any of you have ever done this, and recommend it or don't recommend it. It seems to me it would be very painful and might be a cause for infection. What I want is everyone's opinions or thoughts. How long does it take to "work", etc etc etc. It is much cheaper to neuter than to spay, so in the next couple of months, I could take these boys to get them neutered, they are just being very "hormonal" and I would love to fix it soon. Anyway, any thoughts or anything would be appreciated. I feel so bad to be asking about this as it seems inhumane to me, but I thought I should ask about it before I just dismiss it, if it can work without being too uncomfortable for the cat.

Luv2Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:35 PM  
Seasoned

Please don't do it. Cats are not cows or goats.

If you don't want to ask for two more certificates, find a shelter that offers low cost spaying and neutering. Far safer than doing it yourself.
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:39 PM  
Coming two

It is cruel and unusual tactics to a traditional spay or neuter.
You said the only ones you didn't tell the woman about when getting the certificates were the two Toms. As long as you have all the others spayed or neutered immediately, you should be able to wait to neutur the Toms until you have the extra cash.
That way, the other cats are already fixed so whether the Toms are immediately or not they cannot reproduce.
Please do not look for a cheap out to being a responsible pet ower.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:42 PM  
Halter broke

Well I used to see this a lot, when I worked in a small animal practice. You can't band a cat, the way that you can a goat or cow. Most of the folks who did theirs at home would stick the cat in a boot, butt up, and cut them just like a piglet. It's not against the law for you to do surgery on your own animal. It is against the law to be cruel to animals. Cruelty may extend to if you did abdominal surgeries yourself (which would kill your animal more than likely) but not castration of any animal. Would be painful. Would probably not cause infection.
One of our doctors did all of hers at home like that and she was a VET. She didn't think anything of it though.
Probably not the best idea. I don't have super strong feelings against it, as it's so common, but I would rather my animals have a pain free experience.
resthavenfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:21 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Not a good idea. Goats and calves won't lick or mutilate themselves to get the band off. Cats and dogs will.

In dogs and cats the scrotum is left intact, not removed like in banding.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:25 PM  
Yearling Member

When I was voluntering at the local MSPCA I saw the results of "banding"... not pretty... This owner was not so well-meaning... but the results were nauseating non the less, with a very unhappy ending.
The bands became implanted inside of him and the infection was so severe, that even with hydration and IV anitbiotics, he had to be put down. Now, I'm not saying this will happen... it just doesn't seem like a good idea

Be Something You Love and Understand~ Lynard Skynard
NHIceGSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 PM  
Pasture Pet

I, too, have seen gruesome effects of trying to do this, while working at the vet clinic. Too risky and painful! I am glad you asked!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:04 PM  
Long Yearling

Ok, Well, you guys have all confirmed my opinions about this. I just wasn't sure of all of the details or effects and I have heard of it being practiced quite often. So that is why I thought I'd ask about it. Like I said, just from the sound of it, in my opinion, it is inhumane. And you're right, all my girls will be fixed and so there won't be pregnancy issues on my end, but they will need to get fixed soon. While we're on the subject, wouldn't it be just as painful for a goat or cow??

Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 PM  
Long Yearling

That is the first time I have ever heard of people doing it themselves! I could see how you could band a dog but it looks like it would be hard to do on a cat and not to mention the pain of the animal but also of the person doing it if the cat got ahold of them!
ilovepaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 PM  
Bombproof Member

Inhumane and cruel.

I think it's reprehensible that it's even practiced anywhere at all.

I would think it falls under animal cruelty laws.

There are too many assistance programs out there than to put an animal through that level of torture.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:28 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemisselle
Inhumane and cruel.

I think it's reprehensible that it's even practiced anywhere at all.

I would think it falls under animal cruelty laws.

There are too many assistance programs out there than to put an animal through that level of torture.
Completely agree. Professionals need to handle this procedure with all animals

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:25 PM  
Gee
Weanling Member

at home neutering???

Boy, this post has been handled very well,lol. If this was posted on a cat or dog forum you would get eaten alive,lol.
Anyway, my neighbour did this to her dog and he made out ok.My personal feelings is do to others as you would have done to you,even if it is an animal.Rubber banding would be painful over a long time as opposed to a quick over and done with surgery.My vet holds a special price for spay/neuter 2 days a week ( $40 neuter-$60 spay).This is his contribution to cutting down on the unwanted pet population.I think all vets should do this....Ya like thats going to happen.
G
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM  
Bombproof Member

Re: at home neutering???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee
I think all vets should do this....Ya like thats going to happen.
G
Actually, both of my vets have always made it clear that they would spay/neuter for free if there was really no way for a client to pay. They would both also euthanize for free if necessary, but that's another topic.

Not all vets are rotten money grubbing snots.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemisselle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee
I think all vets should do this....Ya like thats going to happen.
G
Actually, both of my vets have always made it clear that they would spay/neuter for free if there was really no way for a client to pay. They would both also euthanize for free if necessary, but that's another topic.

Not all vets are rotten money grubbing snots.
I second that. We have a section of our local paper called "paw prints" and they always have pics of the animals that are up for adoption at the local shelters and such.

I have never read that section without being notified of a low-cost vaccination and spay/neuter clinic. The prices are really low and alot of vets around here will do it. I've acually known way more good Vets, and only a few bad
Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 AM  
Yearling Member

[quote="doyle82"]It is cruel and unusual tactics to a traditional spay or neuter.

I agree, don't do it yourself! It sounds horrible and very mean!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:30 AM  
Long Yearling

I am lucky that I got the certificates. The whole ordeal was actually a blessing in disguise. However, if I hadn't we would 've had to spay and neuter 1 or 2 at a time. Inlcuding the kittens we have 9. Most people who live on a farm/acerage have more than 1 or 2 cats. I am sure most everyone agrees with trying to not add to the already overpopulated cats and dogs. I wish there was some program to get spays and neuters at a low cost. We have a University nearby that has a feril cat program, and they will do it for free, but the animal cannot be your pet, it has to be wild. Which I guess means they'd have to live trap it, and there is a year long waiting list.

BY the way, I am not a cruel evil person at all. I love all of my pets and wouldn't want to do anything to harm them. That is why I thought I'd ask for the advice and opinions of my horsetopian friends before I even considered it. I surely wouldn't want to eaten alive, as one metioned, so thanks guys for being nice!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:05 PM  
Bombproof Member

We have 7 dogs. All were brought in as strays. All are spayed and neutered now.

We also have 14 cats. Again, strays. And again, all are spayed and neutered.

Well, I lie. That number is now 15 if you count the kitty the Big Mr. brought home the other day who had been living in a trash can on a job site. Sadly, she is obviously pregnant already. But she has already made herself a home in the barn and will immediately be spayed after delivering.

I know how difficult and expensive it is to care for large numbers of animals. Thankfully, I have a fantastic vet and we do have a humane society in the next county who does the PAL Program (Prevent a Litter) and offers not only low cost spay/neutering but also low cost or free vaccinations, including certified rabies.

We make sure to donate to them when we can, be it a bag of food, extra towels, carpet remnants, etc.

They return their services to us in kind.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:49 PM  
Gee
Weanling Member

at home neutering???

I didnt say all vets are money grubbers,actually I didnt say any were. My vet as stated, does a special price and I am sure there are many other vets that do to. But.... if we could get all vets to give a low rate, Im sure it would make a dent on the extra unwanted pet population. I am down right positve! ( lol ) No ill feelings on vets here, please dont misinterpt my earlier post. Vets have been my god send and my best friend at times.
G
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:12 AM  
Greenbroke Member

We have some neighbors down the road that use elastrator rings to do all their toms. They haven't had any problems doing it this way. I have never done it myself though.

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:55 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee
I didnt say all vets are money grubbers,actually I didnt say any were. My vet as stated, does a special price and I am sure there are many other vets that do to. But.... if we could get all vets to give a low rate, Im sure it would make a dent on the extra unwanted pet population. I am down right positve! ( lol ) No ill feelings on vets here, please dont misinterpt my earlier post. Vets have been my god send and my best friend at times.
G
No animosity here! I understand completely what you're saying about lowering the cost! The same could be said for our health care system. Yet the system is imperfect.

I've known my share of money grubber vets, and my share of generous caring vets. It's an even balance. As in anything, there are good and bad out there. Just have to search a little harder for good ones sometimes.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats