Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2007, 11:17 AM  
Long Yearling

How to de-static a cat?

My poor lunar. He wants to get petted but we keep shocking each other! It's gotten bad, sparks fly. I think he knows it's not me doing it but he's getting depressed. Poor kitty. I've researched it and all I can find is to rub him with dryer sheets. It doesn't work all that well. A bath is out of the question unless he were to be sedated. He is a quarter bobcat and HUGE. He hates water. I think he would eat me. Any advice? He just wants love...

He likes to lay on me at night and slobber on my shirt. I don't know why but if he doesn't get to do it he gets all wierd. Everytime he tries we both get shocked.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:19 AM  
Yearling Member

Sorry no advice on this one cause me and Sheba are going through the same thing.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup

~Maggie~
horses19201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:23 AM  
Weanling Member

this is so funny my cat gets like that he goes and rolls in the dirt and then comes in the house so i thought hey dryer sheets and it works and he smells good too! he hates being static-y so he has no problem with me rubbing him down with a dryer sheet if your dryer sheets dont work maybe a different brand? do you have any anti freeze hair stuff? that would work as well i have this garnier stuff that you rub in your hands then put on your hair i hate being static-y too! so something like that might work better
Justwannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:28 AM  
Yearling Member

Do you know what scientist's use to create a static charge - a kitty pelt and glass rod (no kidding!). I think de-electrifying your cat is a lost cause, though some there may be some things you can do to help. Humidity is the enemy of static electricity - so if you house has more humidity, your cat's fur won't discharge. Also try to ground yourself before, during or after petting kitty - It will make it less of a shocking experience. Perhaps try a very light/fine water mist from a spray bottle, though your cat may hate this worse than getting shocked.
you never knew were empty.
Captain Jean Luc Picard
irishmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 AM  
Yearling Member

It has to due with the humidity of your house. I used to shock my cats something fierce and was pretty annoyed till I found out that it had more to do with the humidity than anything else.
It gets especially rougher on the cats with longer, finer fur. The colder and less (or more, can't remember if we turned ours up or down...) humid it is, the more electricity to float in the air. It's like going out on a dry, cold winter day, your hair gets frizzy or creates it's own static charge!

PhotoJoe on Facebook - If you like my work, please 'Like' my page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photo...921892?sk=wall
FoxMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:12 PM  
Started

Get a fish tank or a humidifier, and rub them with a dryer sheet!

Ever since I set up the two tanks downstairs and put the humidifier upstairs we've been static-free all winter!

"The more people I meet the more I love my German Shepherd"
mandelyn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42 PM  
Coming two

Petsmart sells a rub on foam for kitty static. It worked for us, you just rub it on or brush it on.

Life sucks some times. Give up, or get over it.
WhisperStables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:43 PM  
Yearling Member

Spritz yourself lightly with a water bottle. Spritz the area where you sit to pet your cat right before you do. A little lotion on your hands should help too. You could also spritz the bottom of your feet. Humidity is the enemy of static.

We had wool carpets when I was a kid and my brother and I would torture each other all winter long by shocking each other. I was the little one so I usually got the worst of it. Hated those wool carpets!

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
carlagsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:55 PM  
Weanling Member

We "BOUNCE" our cats! or whatever dryer sheet you have. If it's too perfumed they hate it.Another thing that works fairly well is a bit..and I mean a bit! of showsheen on your hands & rub them all over massage-gooood kitty like..ditto with your average hair conditioner. could not find bouncing cat sorry
northernlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 PM  
Seasoned

You could also take 1/4 fabric softener and 3/4 water and spray him , or wipe the cat down with a cloth sprayed with it. It doesn't take much, but the FS does work. (Also works if you're allergic to cats, or dogs...)
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:35 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
How to de-static a cat?
Throw them in the dryer with a dryer sheet of course! I thought everyone knew that...geez.

And yes I am kidding...
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:38 PM  
Long Yearling

I thought of this... Lunar was nosing around inside the dryer the other day.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm gonna try some of this and see if we can't have a no-shock petting session.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:07 PM  
Yearling Member

I have a cat that jumps in the dish-washer when I open it to get the dishes out. Maybe he is trying to de-static himself!!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:09 PM  
Bombproof Member

Ditto the humidifier and fish tank suggestions. The last couple of weeks ahve been really bad for my three fluffballs. (One of whom has that really fine hair mentioned here.)

So I've started putting a pot of water on each night to boil away. I let it go an hour or so then shut it off. In just two days I can tell the difference.

PS: My all-time favorite past-time is to watch a cat try getting under the bedsheet in winter. One spark sends him flying to the other end of the bed trying to get away from the sparks, but they get worse and bigger as he goes! Just about makes me wet myself.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:11 PM  
Long Yearling

My bobtailed kitty has the same staticky problem. He being the smart guy that he is, likes to be petted only in the bathroom, after I get my hands slightly damp. I think he likes it not only because I don't shock him, but also it speeds up his bathing process.

Humidity does help. It's been so ridiculously cold and dry here that I do send little Jake sparks flying!
EquineLaw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:29 PM  
Seasoned

Fish tanks aren't always the answer. We have a serious problem with static in this house and I've got 3 fish tanks. I have a 45 gallon, 55 gallon and 75 gallon. Water evaporates out of all the tanks, but it does little to add to the overall humidity. The heat is dries the air faster than the fish tanks can humidify it...
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fntsyfrm
I have a cat that jumps in the dish-washer when I open it to get the dishes out. Maybe he is trying to de-static himself!!
You've probably seen the photo before but here is Lucy, I guess trying to de-static herself (more likely playing Haha! Stupid Mommy can't reach me in here!)

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." Alice Cullen
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:36 AM  
Yearling Member

OSUJillyBean,
That's exactly what I mean, how cute that they do weird things like that! I just love cats, they always keep me on my feet with their antics!! LOL!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:54 PM  
Long Yearling

What is it with cats and dishwashers!? My little Walter always jumps in when he has the opportunity.

He has me trained -- when I want him out, I shake the treat bag and he gets his yummies.
EquineLaw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 PM  
Yearling Member

Jillybean that is to funny!! Maybe she wanted to help

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats