Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2006, 09:18 PM  
Halter broke

Barn Cat

Ok I am a firm believer in spaying and neutering. I have female barn cat that my daughter got from Santa last year and I am guilty of not having her spayed. I have 2 males (neutered) and 4 dogs and did not think or see a cat braving my barn,but one did and my kitty gave birht tonight. I have seen 4 so far (a friend swears she saw 5-6). She had them under a rack I keep barrels on. I moved the barrels to check on them, but was told by friend to leave them alone or she might eat them. I need some advice on what to do. I have a spare (extra large) crate that I could put her and babies in but I am not sure if I should move them. I am not even sure she is done. I was very upset at myself when I realized she was pregnant as she is only about 10 months old. With my dogs I counted the days to have them fixed, but I guess with her I had a false sense of security. Anyway, any help would be appreciated now. I know I was irresponsible not to have her fixed (and btw how soon can I get her spayed after she gives birth?)
Thank you for all advice and I deserve all criticism.
Cathy
seloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:37 PM  
Long Yearling

First, don't be so hard on yourself! Second, the kittens will probably be just fine. If you move them you may upset her. Leave out plenty of food and water for her and I bet she and the kittens will be just fine. You can have her her spayed as soon as the kittens are old enough to be weaned, around 6 weeks or so. Congrats! Get some pics!
reba4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:39 PM  
Started

Hey, don't beat yourself up. It happens, we get busy and forget how long it has been. When we have had barn cats have kittens, they like to be left alone. If we messed with them, they would move them. I never had one that ate them unless there was something wrong with the kittens. Good luck, we get so many drop offs where I live it's all I can do to afford to get them fixed.

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:42 PM  
Long Yearling

If the cat is gentle and friendly she would not eat them. Animals eat thier young if something is wrong with the young (to keep predetors from smelling the bodies) or if they are feral and smell human. I imagine the smell of human is unnatural for them. If she's used to you, I would go for it if they are in a tough spot were they could be crushed. If she's fine and you don't think the kittens will be hurt I'd leave her for a few days then try the move.
I don't know exactly how soon after giving birth you can have her spayed... medically she could probably get snipped right after but due to her having kittens she needs to be with them and needs her strength. I'd wait until they are weaned.
WARNING though- she will go into heat the moment that last one pops out!!!(my expirence) So you are gonna want to keep her somewhere away from tom cats and if one got her before he's waiting around for his chance!
Best of luck to you and finding your little new arrivals homes! Always spay, especailly with cats. I swear, they could find a way to get pregnant in a padded room alone!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:49 PM  
Halter broke

Thank you. I have been beating myself up over it since I noticed she was pregnant. After all it is my 7 year old daughter's cat and if she had problems, I would never forgive myself. I just feel like a hypocrite because I see all of the free ads for cats (and in fact got Belle from a lady that had 27 at the time) and I think "why don't they fix their cats?" I do have plenty of friends/family that would love to have one so that is not a problem and my daughter is ecstatic, I just feel bad because she is sooo young. I put the dogs up so they will not bother her although they all get along very well, and I will check on her during the night. I will try to get pics in the morning. I have never even posted my intro pics that I said I would I will try to post those also.
Thank you agin for your support.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:10 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Mothers very seldom kill their own. I did have a phyco barn cat growing up that waited til her kittens were aboout 5 weeks and then she would kill them. Its the other males that you have to worry about. They may not be happy with anothers offspring in their territory.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:39 AM  
Halter broke

Well they made it through the night and all is well. There are 6. I moved them this morning into one of the stalls with several options for her to have for a bed/nesting area. Right now they are in a crate with the door open. I did not want my dogs harassing her all day. They could not get the babies and I do not think they would hurt them but could stick their noses in. She was swatting them, but I did not want to take that chance. She came out and rubbed all over the dogs and I, purring like a proud momma. I will get some pics today.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:48 AM  
Started

One word of advice:

Call your vet now to make her appointment to be spayed.
A lot of times their surgery dates are booked well in advance.
Tell them the situation and they can give you a date for the appropriate time.

Don't be too hard on yourself, at least you know she needs to be altered.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:29 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
I've never heard of a kitty eating her young. Ever. If you move them, she may think her babies have been "discovered" and she may move them again all on her own. I'd feed her extra and socialize the kittens when they're a bit older so that they'll make good pets.

Not sure when you can have her spayed. I'm sure it'd be fine to do it tomorrow but I don't know if she'd still be able to care for her babies post-surgery b/c of the scar's proximity to her nipples. Nursing may hurt her and she may avoid feeding her kittens.

I would get her spayed when you give the kittens away to avoid a second litter. And of course - spay/neuter any babies you are going to keep or you'll be in the same situation in under a year.

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." Alice Cullen
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:18 PM  
Bombproof Member

Congrats! Wow, 6 babies is a lot for a first litter!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:59 PM  
Long Yearling

Good point touche about booking the appointment now! It can and often does take time to book a surgery and cats have been known to get pregnant very soon after birth! Good luck and take care!

"There is no seceret closer than the one shared between rider and horse."
www.rockymountainridingservices.webs.com
cowgirlmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 AM  
Kid Safe

You did the right thing moving mom and babies to a safer location.

Many years ago I had a GS and a cat that loved each other. I have a pic on my wall of the two of them sleeping together.
When my cat "Mittens" became a mom, the loving dog "Sugar" helped her mother the kittens. I caught my dog eating them. A lick of the tongue and they were gone. Sugar wasn't being mean, she was actually very loving. The babies were just so small.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:05 PM  
Newborn Member

Barn Cats

I had a female that was having her first kittens and seemed to be having trouble so I took her to the vet. He delivered the last 2 kittens by C-section and went ahead and spayed her at the same time and she was able to raise her kittens with no problems. The day I picked her up I brought a box because I didn't have a cat carrier. A girl brought in a little black kitten she had found on the grounds at the college she was attending. The kitten started to cry and my cat, Peaches, jumped out of the box, picked it up and jumped back in the box. That's how we came to have Little Orphan Annie. So you can get them spayed while they have their kittens on them.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:14 PM  
Coming two

It is recommended to wait until kittens are weaned and the mother has dried up to spay her. Usually about 1-2 weeks after weaning the kittens. That makes the incision a little easier with less chance of nicking the mammary tissue and having milk leak. The blood vessels to the mammary glands also go down in size as the mother dries up.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats