Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2005, 03:31 PM  
Bombproof Member

My cat caught a bat!

Well I was at the barn the other day cleaning out some boxpens and I saw Little Ray has a rodent of some sort...was it a rat? Nope. Mouse? Nope. Mole? Not! She caught a bat!!!! How weird is that? So I ran to the house and got my camera because nobody would've believed me. Here's Little Ray and her prized bat!

Old 12-20-2005, 03:38 PM  
Bombproof Member

Oh wow. She is doing what she is suppose to do, but maybe a
little confused, rat, not bat, rat, not bat.
She had to save it and show Mommy.
My cats do that, bring up to the door and sit their and cry until I
go and see whats wrong. Everything they can catch.
What a beauty of a kitty.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:41 PM  
Weanling Member

aww.... poor little guy! I love bats- they're so cute and they get rid of so many bugs!

I know that a cat's just doing it's job and being true to it's nature- but I still can't help but feel bad for their little victims!

Still- your cat must be QUITE the stalker/hunter to get a BAT!
JoAnn1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:49 PM  
Long Yearling

Aww that is so cool. I have seen everything from Huge rats to snakes but never a bat. You have a skilled cat. Bad thing is it my cat always trys t get inthe house with her new catch and if we are not paying attention, she will succeed. Not cool.

Cats get into everything dont they? I was outside at night and I seen Piper swapping at something then it would jump and she would jump in the air. I thought she was playing with a frog because it was really dark and all I could see was something that seemed to be hopping. I went to go see that it was and it was a big butt copperhead and the hopping was it striking at her. She is a lucky girl she didnt get bit. Well I was too because I didnt know it was a coppehead and I have a big love for snakes so I was trying to catch it, then after a while I stopped trying ( because I still was not sure what snake itwas, I though it might be a copperhead but I wasnt for sure) so I was a little to nervouse to catch it and i gave up. Then I looked it up online and sure enough, it was one.

Lifes to short to pretend like you know what smart people are talking about.
DixieHorseChick18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:12 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
WOW Good kitty, no wait bad kitty. Maybe I can borrow her to catch some of my flying squirrels that are stealing all of the birdseed?

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:18 PM  
Coming two

Wow, good kitty! I don't blame her for
not wanting a bat flying around the
barn! Did the bat live or did it end
up dying? I don't like bats or slimy things lol
Slimy things by snakes, lizards and mice even
though there not slimy! I can deal w/ inscects ok though.
I think your kitty would like comming to my barn we
have birds flying around in the run in stall area!

Appaloosa--brains, looks, and temperment all in one
appygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:28 PM  
Started

Hey, I believe you. My lazy cat caught 2 bats and 1 frog in one week. I was scared he was participating in wizardy.

My good mouser caught a flying squirrel, kinda felt bad for that one.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:35 PM  
Bombproof Member

The bat ended up dying of shock, she never did eat it either. I'm still not sure where she caught it from. I knew we had bats around, but in my barn? I must admit, I've been kinda paranoid of going in to the high part of the mow since she caught the poor little guy.

Does anybody know what kind of bat this is? I'm just curious!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:49 PM  
Seasoned

Well, it's a dead bat. Sorry-had to do that. I know nothing about bats. You have a skilled kitty there. Mine has caught 2 bats, but they were in the house. They came down the chimney and he got them at night. I woke up to a screeching bat-then I started screeching!
thumpersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:35 PM  
Yearling Member

Wow your cat is quite the hunter.
QuartersAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:47 PM  
A J
Greenbroke Member

I have to agree with JoAnn at least a little - I like bats, too, but that is what kitties do...

I'm not sure what kind of bat that is, I don't know too much about them other than the fact that they are very useful creatures and generally harmless. They really like bugs - and I don't, so I like bats.

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:26 PM  
Seasoned

I know you are going to hate me for this, but I tend to be pessimistic. Because of this the first things that popped into my head when I read this post was “Rabies” and “West Nile”.

I mean, how else could a cat capture a bat? I have been told by my Vet to always be careful around birds that were unable to fly, or animals that turned up sick or dead. We have been having some problems here in Texas with West Nile. Is there any chance this bat can be taken to a Vet, or somewhere for testing?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabie...bies/bats&.htm

http://www.health.state.ny.us/press/...00/wnvbats.htm

Sorry to be such a drag.

Rebecca
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:11 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Get your kitties Rabies vaccine updated. Rabies is endemic in the bat population.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:20 PM  
Bombproof Member

Well the bat is long gone, so there's no chance of getting it looked at. As for Ray she's a barn cat and we tend not to spend much on them as we have 'bigger fish to fry.' Don't get me wrong, we do spend money if they get hurt or something of that sort. Thanks for the concernn though, I'll keep that in mind!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:53 PM  
A J
Greenbroke Member

We always made sure our barn cats at least got rabies - not so much for their protection (although that was a concern), but our barn cats were handled not only by us but others as well - and if your cat gets rabies, they may very well pass it on to a human - and that is no fun whatsoever. We just had the vet do the cats when he came out to do the horses and cows vaccinations, and then there was very little extra cost involved, and we were all safer, too. The little bit spent on that protection is not nearly as important as not getting something as dreadful as rabies.

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:04 PM  
Seasoned

I agree with Rebecca and AJ-if your kitty doesn't have a rabies shot, you should get her one. It only cost me $20.00 to get both of my cats done. It's not expensive and it's definately better safe than sorry with rabies. Although, at this point, you don't know if she already has rabies or not...
thumpersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:02 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Its like I tell folks at work, the rabies vaccine is not for your animals protection, its for yours. There is really no treating it, you get it you die. There was 1 case recently of a girl that got it and lived, but I think she is not quite all there. she may have gotten 1 post exposure shot.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:17 AM  
Long Yearling

My cats have caught bats before and you can bet they get their rabies vaccinations if nothing else!
lonearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:28 AM  
Weanling Member

I love bats!! I used to have some here at the farm but some reason I stopped seeing them. Probably still here some where. They are the coolest little creatures. i even bought a bat house for them trying to encourage them to stay around. They eat more mosquito's than birds!

Your cat must be a very skilled hunter! I love cats to but sometimes i wish they would stick to mice and moles! I hate when they catch a bird by my feeder! its just so wrong. I feel like i am feeding them to their death sometimes! But we have at least 10 cats around the farm so what am I to do. They have to stalk its what they do!

poor little bat. I hope he was not sick like the others have suggested. But It may very well have been. That does seem like a rare catch!

Sheila
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 AM  
Weanling Member

You're in Ontario, right? You've most likely got a "Canadian Little Brown Bat" on your hands. They have mouse like ears- which seems to fit the picture of the bat that you took. They're very common in your area.

Some species of Canadian bats are unique in that their tails are actually encased in their wing membranes. Pretty cool!

It is strange that your cat caught one- but it's possible that it was nesting or napping in your rafters and your cat climbed up and caught him while he was fast asleep!

I would check with your vet to be sure. A Rabies shot when a human is exposed is pretty painful- not to mention that it comes along with a lot of nasty digestive and other side-effects!
JoAnn1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats