Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 04:06 PM  
Bombproof Member

Feline CRF

De Ja Vu ... that strange feeling ...

Took Mr. Pluma into the vet yesterday. We moved 400 miles over the summer and since then I've been working from home. I've noticed an increased amount of drinking, but thought that was as much of an attention seeking problem as anything, because he got so demanding about having his water from the faucet.

But also over the past few months I've worked from home, there have been about four or five times where he has gone into an odd little funk of not feeling well. Less perky, less responsive, not too interested in food. Each time I've thought "maybe I should take him in," but then he would rebound and be himself again so quickly after.

This time around he was feeling bad on Tuesday night, I called Wensday, and had him in on Thursday. Of course by Thursday he was back to his old self. (Good I know, but bad for diagnosis I thought!)

Anyhoo, from all the symptoms the vet thought for sure it was going to be diabetes. He's a large cat, but not overweight, and has been a consistent 15lbs ever since his first year with me. (He was a full adult when I adopted him, but only 8lbs, pure skin, bones, and fluff.)

But one fiarly quick blood panel later, and we had the answer. Renal failure, but fairly early onset, or not that bad right now. The vet was floored, saying that was pretty low on his list of supsects, but there it was. High creatinine, and BUN not fantastic but not too bad yet.

So he sent us home with clavamox in case he's got a bladder infection going on, and also with K/D.

Previously I had a cat with Chronic Renal Failure who lived on for four years with proper management and diet. Here's to hoping Pluma will do the same or better. He's really an awesome kitty. Sniff.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:06 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Aww, I'm sorry to hear the diagnosis.

Pluma is a BEAUTIFUL cat! How old is he, might I ask?

My 17 year old (almost 18 year old) cat's kidney enzymes are on the high-normal end. We know it's coming, but for now it's stable.

Hope Pluma is able to live happily for many years with his good mommy and management.
*Giddy Up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 PM  
Yearling Member

Aww I'm sorry to hear that. We lost our Rye to CRF just over 2 years ago. He put up a brave fight for 6 months, was on about 9 different meds, daily sub-qs...such a trooper, but he was diagnosed when he was already Stage 4.

There's a site that was a fantastic resource for us: http://www.felinecrf.org/ TONS of info, definitely worth checking out. She also has a support group on Yahoo Groups that was great for me to be able to talk to others going through the same thing as us: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/tanyas-ckd-support/

Good luck with Pluma! He's gorgeous!
shadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:38 PM  
Kid Safe

He's gorgeous and very lucky to have you! You (both) have my prayers.

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 PM  
Bombproof Member

Thanks guys! Yep, I've spent plenty of time at felinecrf.org, thanks for the link!

I have to admit, I cheated a little bit in giving ya'll a photo that's a few years old. He's a bit more raggedy these days, but still awful darned handsome.

I know for sure I've had Pluma since August of 2003. He was definitely not a kitten anymore, fully adult. The vet at the time estimated him to be at least 5 years old. I argued that saying I thought younger. The vet just rolled his eyes and shrugged at me. Fast forward to today, I told this new vet who saw him for the first time that he was as young as 11 and as old as 16, and he said the younger was probably closer since his teeth look so great.

Shrug, dunno. Just like Jacques, I'll never know for sure quite how old. But for Pluma he's definitely in "senior" territory.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 PM  
Pasture Pet

I don't go into the "Cats" section too often, sorry for not posting sooner although we did chat on the phone. For the rest of you, I got to meet Pluma and the name fits, very soft, very handsome and affectionate kitty cat.

Keep up the good work Pluma, your mommy loves you! (that's as close to a kitty icon as we have)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM  
Pasture Pet

What a beauty of a cat. and hope he has adjusted to his new diet.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 PM  
Kid Safe

How is Puma doing?

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 PM  
Bombproof Member

Thanks for asking. I guess he's doing OK. The day after the vet visit he seemed worse than ever, just kind of lethargic and not himself. But I guess it was a stressful day for him, so can't blame him too much. He's bounced back from that tho, and back to drinking water like mad.

I'm still transitioning him over to the prescription diet tho. None of the critters seem to like it much, but they've all been on it before (because of the other cat I had with CRF). So I'm sure I won't have a problem getting them on it again. I mix it in with their old stuff at a 2:1 ratio, then will go 3:1, then full KD.

And for a few more recent photos ...

Making himself at home amidst the moving boxes.

And more of his favorite past time. This cat comes up with the craziest positions, often looking like someone dropped him like so much pancake batter into whatever odd space he's decided to land.

I know this thread is all about Pluma, but might as well toss one in of the other kids. This is Murphy on the left, the former barn kitteh who came to live with me as a "hospice" situation, supposedly no liver function left and expected to not live more than a week or two. That was four years ago. Tigger is on the right, otherwise known as blob-o-cat, blubber-buns, waddle-butt, lard muffin, and land otter.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 PM  
Coming two

He is adorable, I love big fluffy kitties!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 PM  
Coming two

There is a university studying the link between vaccines and kidney failure in cats. Apparently they used feline kidney cells to develop some of the vaccines.

My cats are due next month for their 3 in 1 vaccines and I am hesitant to vaccinate them. It is suggested that the nasal vaccine does not cause autoimmune related kidney damage. But considering immunity lasts for 3 or more years, I'm not sure I even need to vaccinate.

I think it was Colorado State university studying the link between vaccines and kidney damage.

Here are 3 other studies on it:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20136712
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...t=AbstractPlus
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15822597
horsecrazygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:15 AM  
Yearling Member

There have also been some indications that the use of Metacam (meloxicam) in cats can lead to kidney failure later in their lives. We've lost 2 cats to kidney failure - Rye to chronic kidney failure that we fought for 6 months, and Crackerjack who went into sudden acute kidney failure. Both had been on Metacam in the past. We now specify that our cats are NOT to receive metacam, either oral or injectable, for any reason. I know kidney failure is a fairly common ailment in older cats, but I'd rather not take the chance of contributing to it by using Metacam. (Which is a shame cause it was so easy to use - just a few drops in their food, no taste, no fuss.)
shadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 PM  
Bombproof Member

Wow horsecrazy, thanks for the info. I'll read those articles later.

Not to sound like an anti-vaccine person, because in general I am whole-heartedly FOR vaccines, but this new news certainly makes me wonder.

Boxer was the first kitty who had CRF, diagnosed at only age 6. He lived 4 more years but what got him in the end was a cancerous tumor located at the right spot for injection sites on the butt cheek. The vet himself was the one who told me of growing concerns about cancerous tumors at injection sites, and that now when they give vaccines, they carefully mark each time what area of the body was used so that they rotate thru different spots.

Add to that the fact that Pluma's last round of vaccines sent him into a fevered lethargic episode, my vet told me that in the future we should string out his shots and not all in one day. I really wouldn't have put that incident together with the CRF, but come to think of it, it's been since that time that he's had more of these lethargic episodes. I've not taken his temp every time so I don't know about that. But these bouts of being down definitely started after that incident with the vaccines.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:15 PM  
Coming two

There is a new vet in town. He had a give away and tour for his grand opening. One of the fliers he gave out recommends vaccines be done in the tail of your cat, as that can be amputated if cancer develops.

Looks like there is a growing concern with the use of vaccines and cancer.
horsecrazygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:23 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsecrazygal View Post
There is a new vet in town. He had a give away and tour for his grand opening. One of the fliers he gave out recommends vaccines be done in the tail of your cat, as that can be amputated if cancer develops.

Looks like there is a growing concern with the use of vaccines and cancer.
Well, isn't that someone who is using their old bean! Actually thinking ahead. Who'd a thought of that. I think I'll mention it to our vet next time we're there.

I'm not as much kitty as I am dog but I do treasure my cats and they do look so very cuddly and I'm all about that.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:39 PM  
Started

vets around here have been giving dogs shots in legs for a while now due to the cancer risk.

What was the meloxicam for? That sounds like something they have my husband taking due to a birth defect of smaller spinal area that holds the nerve bundle.

Your cats are beautiful and I had to laugh at your names. We have a sir belly drags the ground here too..lol.. He is sick now also. Haven't got a diagnosis yet.

Is your cat a Maine Coon? We lost our beloved Maine Coon - Andy a few years ago and it was horrible. He was SO like a kid to me. He had blood clot disorder and though he made it thru the night at the vets office, he threw a clot and died less than 30 minutes after the vet called telling us he was over the hump I hope your dietary therapy works well for him!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:59 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Thanks for sharing the info everyone.

Metcam is an NSAID.

The cancer risk at injection sites is crazy!! Who would even think?? Yikes.

All your kitties are adorable!
*Giddy Up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:21 PM  
Yearling Member

I knew a lady who's dog would not eat the PD he had to eat. I don't remember what kind of disorder he had, but he was only supposed to eat that kind of prescription diet.

She started rubbing a small fry pan with garlic than heating his food in it, on the stove. It actually smelled really good that way. Once heated she would put it on a plate and set it on the floor. He ate it right up.

I don't know if a cat would want the garlic smell, but when I was still feeding Heidi, the feral cat, outside I would heat her canned food up, so it wouldn't freeze quite as fast. When our inside cats smelled the warm cat food they would come running to the kitchen for a bite too.
Diamond Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:53 PM  
Bombproof Member

The kitties have decided to start chowing down. Mission accomplished.

As for maine coone ... I've always thought that Tigger the blubber buns is an MC, yes. No proof tho, shelter kitty. Squeaks when he meows, lounges around on his back a lot, super friendly, lots of qualities fit.

Pluma on the other hand I've always felt was a ragamuffin.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:44 PM  
Yearling Member

You do have some beautiful kitties Lady. There is just nothing better than spending a cold winter evening, with a warm kitty curled up in your lap. Ahhhhh
Diamond Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats