Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 AM  
Kid Safe

How to stop our kitten from climbing screens?

We have a cat who is about 4 months old. She's recently started climbing the screen patio door when she wants in or out. She'll actually get right to the top. We can't just leave the door open for her and the dogs because of flies but she's made some small holes in the screen and I don't want her doing it anymore. Our house is only two years old and the screen was like new before she started this.

Is there any way to stop this? The only thing I could think of was to squirt her with a water bottle in the tummy when she does it when she wants in but I haven't done that yet. Thanks for any ideas.
NorthernHorseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 AM  
aes
Greenbroke Member

Water bottle, or tape a sheet of tin foil over the screen door. Or both.
aes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 AM  
Yearling Member

Water bottle!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:48 AM  
Weanling Member

I will also say water bottle!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 AM  
Yearling Member

You can do the water bottle and everything else but you also might want to consider pet screening. They sell it pretty much everywhere and it is meant for just this purpose. I've used it several times and it is great. It takes no time at all to change out the old stuff. I would still work on getting her not to do it but this stuff works well in case she does do it when you're not looking.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 AM  
Kid Safe

We tried putting foil in the plants that was going in but she seemed to like playing with it. I guess for now I'll try the water bottle but I'm interested in the pet screen. Can you get it at any hardware store?
NorthernHorseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM  
Weanling Member

In the Home Depot and Lowes in my area they call that racoon proof window screen. Make sure to get the right size spline {tubular rubber you cram in the crack were the screen goes to hold it in } The racoon proof screen is thicker then regular screen so you'll probably need a skinny spline. Once installed you can laugh as your kitten climbs up because she will not be able to rip a whole in it. I love watching cats climb screen, it's so funny!!
Fredthecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM  
Yearling Member

Yep exactly what fred said! Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, I think I've even seen it was Wal-Mart. Like he said watch the spline b/c the screening has a coating to keep it from ripping so you need skinner splining.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM  
Yearling Member

I tried the water bottle as a deterrant when my cat tried "decorating" the couch with claw marks - didn't work. She is one of those odd cats that actually LOVE water (she likes to stick her little paw into the tub and splash). She also likse to climb the window screens and then do a chin-up on the window frame.... sneaky little monster.
However, my friend did it and it worked with her bohemoth of a cat. The trick is to make sure the cat doesn't realize it's you spraying them (so try and be stealth) or else they just don't do it when you're around and wait till you're out of the room.
Leli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to Sassy
cold squirt of water hehehe, though I'm liking the idea of the kitty proof screen!

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats