Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 AM  
Coming two

Deworming barn/feral cats

There is a cat colony in my neighborhood of at least 10 semi-feral manx/mixed cats. I have been leaving food out for them and have trapped/ taken some of them in to operation catnip to be fixed/vaccinated. They let me approach them and some will let me pet them but for the most part they tend to be scared of people. I'm assuming they probably have worms of some sort so I would like to deworm them if I can. Any suggestions of a cost effective way to do this? I was thinking of putting a tiny bit of ivermectin horse paste on it or maybe a tiny amount of ivomec liquid?
horsecrazygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:57 PM  
Kid Safe

I don't really have any good answer. Cats seem to be so picky about what they eat - of course, maybe I'm thinking more about a well fed house cat than wild cats. Still, I wouldn't think they would go for ivermectin. There are wormers that are specifically for cats that might be something they would like...
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:16 PM  
Halter broke

I have 8 stray ferral cats that have shown up at my place and are all living on my deck. They showed up a couple at a time, I swear they tell other cats where the food is. I was pretty sure they were wormy, skinny cats with big bellies. I picked up cat de-wormer at Walmart, it was only a couple of dollars. You can put it on their food, directions are right on the bottle. Ferral cats are not picky about their food, I feed them dog food, scraps and left overs.

I can now pet each one of them and even pick up a couple of em. Five of them are females which I will be getting spayed next week, along with vaccinations.
bunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 PM  
Halter broke

A good way to keep up deworming in cats is to put garlic in their food regularly. This is not a substitute for deworming them with medication but it can help you from having to do it as often. If you like garlic in your spaghetti you can make some extra when you make it and give the left overís to the cats, they'll love it and if you do it regularly they'll also eat any medication out of it no questions asked. Barn/feral cats are not picky eaters though, if they won't eat something chances are you're feeding them too much. They should be eating mice after all, if they're barn cats.
I hope this helps.
MountainView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:40 PM  
Yearling Member

I also bought some cat dewormer at Walmart. It's flavored and my cats like it. I just mix it with some canned food and they chow it down.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 AM  
Kid Safe

I find my barn cats are most likely full of tape worms. My cost effective way to deal with that is liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole). It is hard to overdose so you don't have to worry as much as you would if you use piperazine.
.5ml worms a 25lb goat and I figure my cats weigh between 6 and 10lbs. so I give 2 drops per cat mixed in canned cat food. I divide the can of food so I can worm all cats from one can.

To worm them for round worms I buy piperazine-17 from my local feed store. Use a syringe to measure as it is very easy to overdose and medicate the cats individually. This can upset their tummies so be sure to give on a full stomach. Repeat in 30 days.

Another way to worm a cat for those smokers out there is give them a pinch of tobacco from your cigarette butt on a mayonnaise sandwich. My sister swears by this one.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM  
Yearling Member

I trap mine lol ... I have 1 girl cat that is very friendly and shows up every few days but lives in the barn so I can just give it to her orally, but the boys are another story! Spots and Smokes, although they spend most of their time at the house and sleep in the garage are still uneasy around us so I trap them with a racoon trap and give them an injectable wormer. We have another all male cat that hangs around that is extremely uneasy around people and I've trapped him before but I think the only way to worm him might be to do a drench.
s-mylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 PM  
aes
Greenbroke Member

My sister in law is a vet and the last time we needed our cat dewormed she gave us some new type of dewormer which is just a few drops of liquid that you put on the back of the cat's neck. I wonder if that would work? She did say it is expensive and I don't have the name of it.
aes is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats