Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 PM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to Meandmypal
My cat HATES my new kitty

I let my daughter talk me into getting a new kitty from a friend of mine and My Cat hates the newbie. Hissing and swatting at her everytime the baby walks by. Poor little baby is scared to death of her. Any ideas on getting them to get along. I remember when I was young my mom had a couple of cats that never got along but I've never had this problem. My older cat is only 2 and gets along with 6 dogs, jeeze you'd think she would appreciate one of her own kind. Maybe she thinks she's a dog.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:27 PM  
Seasoned

Seperate the two of them.. In reality this should hav been done first.. Helps the older one get used to the new one by sniffing under the door and so on and so forth.. BUT now.. if you want seperate them -- It will give the older one time to adjust to the new one and the new one wont get hurt.. Take NEW BRUSH -ie- pet brush and brush the new kitty then brush the older kitty then vice versa - that way the smell of the new kitty gets on the older one and vice versa ... then wait a week and try to introduce them again.. with supervision.. It will work.. it just needs a little time..
Old 05-14-2009, 04:39 PM  
Yearling Member

As long as the baby is not in real danger I would leave them alone. They will get used to each other. Baby needs to learn the boundaries and they will be fine.

You can't always sit on the fence while the world passes by, sometimes you just gotta ride. Chris Ladoux
RebaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 PM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to Meandmypal
Thanks ladies, I will try the brush thing. They are not seperate but kinda because new kitty just wants to sit in your lap or sleep.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM  
Long Yearling

I tried for 7 weeks for my Cornish to take to another Cornish. Miley hated him and it was only getting worse. She wouldn't even let BRC near the litter box so than accidents were occurring as well as the fights. It doesn't always work... we ended up having to rehome the second Cornish with my sister.

I have a great cat mentor who raised and showed Birmans, has had the premier cat of the year more than once... after a lot of discussion we decided Miley was better off as the unusual one cat home and let BRC go. Miley would even attack me if I had held BRC and had his scent on me...

Good luck!
WickedNag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Mine still don't get along and the "little" one is 2 yrs. old. The older is 14 (I think). She has growled at him ever since we brought him home and he, of course, just tries to play with her. She's getting grumpy in her old age. I have just resigned myself to the fact that they will never be best buds.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 PM  
Bombproof Member

I agree with snwflk's technique, and have used that myself.

I had had two "buds" for three years when I brought home another. I did the isolation thing, first keeping the new one in isolation, then one day switching so the old two were cooped up and the new one got let out. Then eventually I released everyone together. There was much hissing, but they were all declawed, so I just let nature take its course.

The hissing and growling stopped within a week. Then I'd say it took several months, possibily even a full year before it really felt like everyone was settled in.

Here we are five years later, and it's still USUALLY the two originals hanging out together and Pluma (the newbie) off by himself somewhere else. But then again, I'll catch all of them cuddled up in a fur pile occasionally, so it's not all bad. I think it's just that Pluma is a very independent personality and never felt he had to fit in. He is also the most dog-like cat I've ever met - coming when called, fetching, etc. I think that has a lot to do wth it.

Point being, have heart, and keep trying ...
Old 05-16-2009, 08:32 AM  
Started

This is the story of my life! I have never brought a new cat into the house that the resident cat has taken to. I have no advice for you...we just put up with the snarling, hissing, spitting, swatting, chasing...need I go on?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 AM  
Kid Safe

You mentioned that the new kitten is a lap kitty. One thing is to make sure to pay LOTS of attention to the older kitty. Make sure she doesn't feel like the newbie is getting all her lovin'!!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:54 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Rafflesgirl
I once got a new kittie who stayed in my bedroom under the bed for several months. I had to keep his litterbox and food in there and eventually he would come out and sit at the top of the stairs and look down at the activity then after about 6 months total he started hanging out with the other kitties and wasn't afraid any more. It takes a while sometimes. Just be patient.

Right now I'm dealing with 2 cats who are scared to death of my new dog, well I've had the dog now 5 months and the cats are still terrified, the other cats are fine. So the 2 scaredy cats will just take more time I guess!!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:45 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygirls View Post
This is the story of my life! I have never brought a new cat into the house that the resident cat has taken to. I have no advice for you...we just put up with the snarling, hissing, spitting, swatting, chasing...need I go on?
Yup! been there done that. I too live with hissing, spitting, chasing. Cat's will be cats.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats