Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Question water coming out of my cats eyes

This evening Ari, one of my cats has water coming out of his eyes, like he is crying. I have noticed it a couple of times in the past, but never this bad. He is strictly an indoor cat. Has had his shots, and does not act sick. Right now he is on top of the fridge. I have wiped the water away and it comes back. I am calling the Vet in the morning, but does anyone have any ideas what it might be?

BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:56 PM  
Greenbroke Member

By the way, he is the cat in my avatar.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
I know next to nothing about cats... Sorry, I hope someone comes along soon though that can help you
Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Thanks, its just a clear water . I am hoping it is just an allergy or something easy.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:05 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
Have you used any sort of aresol sprays? like lysol, etc? I know those are a big no no around cats and dogs
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM  
Weanling Member

could be just an eye cold.. nothing real serious...
do you have any terimycin (sp?) around.. Thats what I use on my cats eyes when they get like that..

Good luck keep us posted on what the vet says..

Life with out a horse, is not having a life..
I need a hobby..Anyone got any ideas...
Raaslita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Could be a blocked tear duct in which case instead of running down his nose, his excess tears fall out of the corner of his eye.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM  
Seasoned

could be a blocked tear duct and slight eye cold or he could have gotten something in there
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM  
Coming two

Sounds like he got something in his eyes, whether it be dust particles, sprays, hair, etc. The tears are just the eye's natural way to get it out. I think if he still has it by the morning, get it checked out, but don't be too worried about it.
cinnamon_girl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:44 PM  
Yearling Member

Was he the one that was just sick with something?

You can't always sit on the fence while the world passes by, sometimes you just gotta ride. Chris Ladoux
RebaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 PM  
Yearling Member

Never mind I just found the other thread. I don't really have any other suggestions though. Hope everything is fine!

You can't always sit on the fence while the world passes by, sometimes you just gotta ride. Chris Ladoux
RebaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 PM  
Yearling Member

He may have a scratch on his cornea. Most important thing about using eye meds from home is to NOT use anything with cortizone/steroids unless you are SURE 100% that there is not scratches/ulcers/lesions on the eye. Your vet will probably put a flourescene dye in his eye tomorrow to check for scratches.
If you want to "do something" tonight you could gently flush the eye with plain eye wash if you have it. Not the red eye stuff.
If he is rubbing at he could scratch it or make it worse. Not much you can do there unless you have an E-collar (the lamp-shape looking thing) or someone stays up with him.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM  
Seasoned

Ditto the steroids...

You know, I'd not be too worried about it. Charlotte, one of my used-to-be-ferals, almost always has water running down her nose from the inside corner of her eye. I've taken her in, and they've just shrugged...nothing really wrong, probably an allergic reaction. Her eyesight is fine, and she doesn't have pain, so it's just part of how her body works.

If your baby isn't having pain, the fluid isn't pussy/stinky/really sticky, and there's no blood, then I'd probably do a watchful waiting thing...give it some time, and see what happens. Evaluate later and see if you need to bring him in.

In the meantime, take a breath and try to relax. It's hard, I know...I've been there. It's never easy when our fuzzbutt babies are sick...

Best-
Noni
Old 02-17-2009, 03:58 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Thanks everyone. He is the one that was sick a few weeks back. Still never did figure out what was wrong. All the blood work came back normal. It is a little better this morning. I have to stop at the vet this morning to get one of the dogs their prescription food, so I am gonna ask her about it. He seems perfectly normal except for the water running out the inside corner of his eyes. It has happened before a couple of times. I don't think anything was sprayed last night. I don't use hair spray or lysol spray. And I try to be a good house cleaner and keep things dust free.

I will let you all know what the Vet says. Again thanks.

I will try not to worry..........too much.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 AM  
Newborn Member

I have a cat that I got as a kitten from the Humane Society. She has always had watery eyes, even when being fostered. They used all sorts of drops and ointments, and could not solve the problem. I have chalked it up to allergies. Sometimes she's worse, to the point of having an eye closed or squinty, and usually she's better, where there's very little water. Various vets have tried everything on her, and I've accepted it's just her. She's very healthy and happy aside from her eyes.
JumpQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 PM  
Newborn Member

Some months ago, my cat had the same trouble: clear water running from his eyes.

I contacted the vet, and she told me that, as long as it was not real 'discharge' (pus) coming from his eyes, I should not worry.

And indeed, it stopped after a few days.
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats