Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2009, 04:07 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Unhappy Starved Cat

I had a cat go missing two weeks ago. Figured after days of looking it had gotten killed. Fast forward to today. It has been trapped inside a boat that was turned upside down. It got snowed in and now the snow has melted enough that we could hear it.

What now as far as feed. I know to start slowly, but with what?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:09 PM  
Yearling Member

Cats are pretty resilient, give it a bit of food and water and it will eat and then again later in day to slowly build up strength. Cats are good about stuff like that. I am so glad it is OK.

Roger Staubach
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
You could start with cooked white rice and chicken, very easy on the tummy. If the cat will eat yogurt that will help to bring back the gut flora, if not you can get probiotic tablets from your vet. I have heard that pumpkin is good for a starved system. Make sure that she is offered lots of fresh water, kitties get dehydrated very quickly and it can do a lot of damage to their kidneys. You may want to call your vet, see if they have any better ideas. Glad you found your kitty, best wishes that she will be okay.

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:20 PM  
Greenbroke Member

i would take him to the Vet as soon as you can. Cats that don't eat for awhile can have liver problems and die. I am glad you found him .

BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 PM  
Started

I second taking the cat to the vet, just to make sure. I have had one cat die from fatty liver disease, but I think he hadn't been eating for about a month (I got him from a shelter towards the end of his disease). After that, probably just want to make sure you are feeding him a high quality food and providing plenty of water. Poor guy!!
kshnooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Never would have thought about snow blocking in a cat.....
I second the rice and chicken diet. You can even use baby food (chicken).

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:59 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Thanks for all the input. I gave him yogurt, then a couple hours later some soaked cat food. There is water available everywhere. Heated bowl on porch, trough in horse pen and puddles all over the place at least for now. He had a water puddle under there with him, which is why I think he is still alive. Will be checking with Vet tomorrow since we don't have emergency vets on call here. He sure has alot of energy for how he looks. Luckily he was in very good condition when he got stuck.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:37 PM  
Kid Safe

I'd be worried the cold will get him. He doesn't have the fat preserve to survive the cold and can get hypothermic. Is there anyway you can take him in for a few weeks till he can get his weight up?

He's one lucky kitty!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
I'm glad he's doing as well as he is. I second keeping him warm. Please let us know what the vet has to say.

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 PM  
Yearling Member

How lucky that your kitty made it! Even with the cold weather, I'm sure it's due fine. I wish a were as resiliant as some of my cats have been.

Years ago, I had a smallish cat that went missing for one long week. I was worried because it was cold and rainy and there was no sign of her. On a very dark morning, I was getting ready to toss some newspapers in our burn barrel when I saw what I thought was my kitty, but how horrible! She was headless! Or was she?

I called for my (at that time) husband and then burst into tears, only to discover that she was very much alive, but OMG, where was her head? The body was moving inside the darkened barrel, but there was no sign of her little head!! Upon closer inspection, the reason I couldn't see her head was because it was stuck inside a 6-oz can of spaghetti paste that had been burned on the outside. The burnt can blended right in with the burnt insdies of our burn barrel. We had to cut the can off her head. Once freed, she cried and cried. Her head was wet with rain water and we were shocked that she didn't drown during this event. With some warm water, a little food, and a whole lot of love, she recovered nicely and lived a long happy life.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:41 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Vet says he is healthy, just under weight. I tried to bring him in and he freaked out. There are 4 other cats for him to get warm with and holes in the hay stack to hide in. I am feeding him 4 times a day with small feedings. He is getting a 32/22 cat food with chicken as the first ingredient. I thought maybe I would slip him a cooked egg with bacon fat every day for a while.

He is quite amazing that he looks as good as he does and has so much energy. He has now used three of his nine lives. He got caught under a car hood once and a horse stepped on him. Nothing major from either of those. I'll have to get a picture of him to keep track of his progress.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 PM  
Yearling Member

I would go out and get some JustBorn and come chicken or veal baby food, srart out slow and give him a little more.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 AM  
Bombproof Member

Sounds like he's doing well. Congrats little kitty!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM  
Kid Safe

My cats enjoy a hard boiled egg. Not to sure how good bacon fat is seeing it has so much salt in it. If you feed it please do so in moderation.

Yes we would love to see a pic.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats