Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 PM  
Weanling Member

What age to castrate

Question: What age would you castrate your colt? also, is it fact or myth that geld early, taller leaner, geld later, shorter stockier? I have one coming in march, and am considering whether I should get him castrated before he even gets here. Thanks!
cansncattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:42 PM  
Bombproof Member

You can't geld him until he drops. My guy will be one in May and he still hasn't dropped yet.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 PM  
Newborn Member

Iv'e had horses that were gelded at 6 months, 1 year, 4 years etc.

If you don't want a stallion gelding sooner is better, though I haven't noticed a significant difference in size. Gelding sooner will eliminate the chances of your boy getting "studdy".
SusanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:34 PM  
Halter broke

I think the gelding relationship to size is a myth. We gelded one colt at a year, but should have done him sooner - he had started mounting the mares and that is what reminded me that he wasn't cut yet! We did another colt at 5 mos, just before he was weaned. Our vet says, "The earlier, the better. " She had done it as early as 3 months.
Katemary63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:15 PM  
Weanling Member

Testosterone was shown to retard long bone growth by Texas A&M in a study 10 years ago, only about 3/4 of a inch more in height.
arkyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM  
Pasture Pet

We gelded our three at one year of age. They were kept only with other boys, weren't difficult, and waiting until the spring meant that it was decent weather, and there weren't flies out yet.

Testosterone does change growth, both in height and in build development. A late gelded warmblood horse will often be thicker through the throatlatch than one gelded earlier. I am not sure how much difference it makes if they are gelded as weanlings, yearlings or two year olds though.

Karen
EquineAlberta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:59 PM  
Weanling Member

The study done by A&M showed greater effect prepuerperal castration,weanlings.
arkyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterCowGirl View Post
You can't geld him until he drops. My guy will be one in May and he still hasn't dropped yet.
My guy has little almonds there, so technically, he could be done. I am just trying to decide whether I should get him done before he ships to me, or wait and have my own vet do it. ONly difference is that in Arizona, it will be cheaper for me then for when he comes to BC Canada.
cansncattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 AM  
Pasture Pet

I had Bailey done at 6 months he seemed to heal much faster than the yearling, two year old and three year old that also got gelded that day.

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 AM  
Seasoned

They can be gelded as soon as his bad boys are down.

I'd get him done before he comes up to you, since it will be cheaper.

I can just hear him now, "Hey, I don't get sold to Canada. I did, and they chopped my bad boys off!"
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:59 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterCowGirl View Post
HA.....

My colt will be 2 first week of june and still he hasn't dropped . The vet checked him out last month when in for shots and said MAYBE in march I can get him done.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paso_lover View Post
HA.....

My colt will be 2 first week of june and still he hasn't dropped . The vet checked him out last month when in for shots and said MAYBE in march I can get him done.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by paso_lover View Post
HA.....

Same here. My colt will be 3 in March and he has finally dropped I just noticed today and I looked 2 days ago. There is a difference in behavior also. He has never opened his mouth to me and today I was playing with one of his front legs and he reached back like he would bite, when I popped his neck he stamped his foot. This behavior is VERY unusual for him. And I do not like it. Looks like I will be calling the vet soon.
samtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:25 AM  
Newborn Member

My stallion didnt drop til he was 3.5yrs almost 4yrs. He will be getting gelded in the late spring or summer, after he is bred to a few mares that people wish to breed him to. Only reason for gelding him is because I will be moving and cant quite board him in a field of mares and geldings without him snipped. He isnt studdy at all which is great!
Fancy_Fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:28 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to bittersweethorsefarm
My 14+H colt will be 2 in spring, only one is dropped sometimes and its small. Though when I had him sedated for x-rays, both finally showed - but were still walnut size.

Poor little guy is nothing compared to his 11.2H daddy... oi his were draft-sized huge.

Not going to be gelded, let's just hope he makes his dad proud. haha.
bittersweethorsefarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics