Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 01:46 PM  
Weanling Member

How do I get black? overo?

What would be the best bet to breed my mare to (sorrel/min overo) to get a black and white (or bay would be fine) and prefereably an overo? I know the breeding game, especially when it comes to color is tricky and never certain, but what would give me a better chance?

I'm not breeding this girl ANYTIME soon, she is only 3, just looking around to see what quality studs are out there that may be candidate in a few years. I'm also curious, what is your take on stallion size/mare size? My girl is only about 15h and I'd love to get something bigger...but is it dangerous to breed to a much larger stud?

Thanks!

ETA: her pedigree. Her dam was out a 2 black and white overos and she was BRIGHT sorrel overo (really loud), that might help!

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sparkling+in+lace
Maybelline2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:49 PM  
Coming two

Buy a black overo foal.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafty View Post
Buy a black overo foal.
I have to agree - that is the only certain way of getting one..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:54 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafty View Post
Buy a black overo foal.
That is exactly what i was gonna sayThat is always what i have heard.If you want a blk overo,buy it.I bought one myself and she is finally coming home this weekend if all goes well.She is mostly white though with the blk spots.What ever that color is called.Splash or frame?Im not sure of the color patterns yet.
carmor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM  
Halter broke

Send a message via AIM to On The Rocks
You need to test her for Agouti first If she is homozygous, you will never get a black foal out of your mare. If she is A/a, you have 50% chance of getting black if you breed to a homozygous black, black stud. If she is a/a, breed to a homozygous black, black stud and you will get black 100% of the time.

In terms of overo...Is she positive for LWO? If she is, breed to a solid homozygous black QH or LWO neg paint. Breeding to an overo will still give you 50% chance of overo, but also 25% chance solid and 25% chance lethal white.

If she is negative...Then she is either splash or sabino overo. Breed to a LWO positive homozygous black stud.
On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:59 PM  
Coming two

I'm also going to say that you should probably just buy a foal, but breeding her to a homozygous black horse will definitely get you black or bay (I've actually been reading up on this stuff lately!). If you don't care if it's overo or not as long as it's paint, breed to a homozygous tobiano stud.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 PM  
Coming two

Red is really hard to counter as its so dominate. I also wanted a black overo so I bought one LOL

Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 PM  
Long Yearling

He is pretty,looks alot like my new girl coming this weekend.She was bred with a homo blk solid last yr. but she had a blk foal with a big white strip down her face.But she is cute too.
carmor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:41 PM  
Weanling Member

Thanks guys- I am not looking for a horse and color is not "really" important- I was just looking for advice on what my "best chance" would be. There are a lot of other things that would come first, before color.

On The Rocks- Thanks for the post! I haven't had her tested, as this is still just a thoughts in the clouds. So if she is LWO negative, breeding her to a LWO positive horse would give higher chances of an overo? I still have a lot to learn in this area, but it is very interesting to me, I just have ADD tendencies and sitting down and trying to figure it out doesn't last too long during one sitting

kaykay- pretty boy you got there
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM  
Coming two

kaykay--red is actually not dominant. It is recessive--I learned that last night!

LWO is lethal white, but it's linked to the frame overo gene. A positive horse doesn't increase your chances of color (versus a regular non-lethal carrier overo), but if you breed it to a carrier, your chance of having a dead foal increases.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:50 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline2005 View Post
Thanks guys- I am not looking for a horse and color is not "really" important- I was just looking for advice on what my "best chance" would be. There are a lot of other things that would come first, before color.

On The Rocks- Thanks for the post! I haven't had her tested, as this is still just a thoughts in the clouds. So if she is LWO negative, breeding her to a LWO positive horse would give higher chances of an overo? I still have a lot to learn in this area, but it is very interesting to me, I just have ADD tendencies and sitting down and trying to figure it out doesn't last too long during one sitting

kaykay- pretty boy you got there
If she from two true black overos she cannot carry an agouti gene as neither parent would have had one. If one was a brown that would be a different story.
yellowhorsesinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:00 PM  
Weanling Member

yellow-

the mare is not from two black overos- her dam was. Her sire is sorrel QH.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:18 PM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline2005 View Post
yellow-

the mare is not from two black overos- her dam was. Her sire is sorrel QH.
Okay, then we know her dam is aa as her black sire and dam did not have any Agouti to pass on So she is at least Aa if not aa. What color were her sire's parents?

LWO pretty much "is" the gene for frame overo. If she is neg. for frame then yes, I would breed to a LWO positive horse. If she is LWO positive, breed to an "overo looking" horse who is LWO neg and therefore splash or sabino overo. There really is no point in breeding two LWO positive horses together as it doesn't give you any higher chance of an overo than a LWO pos to a LWO neg

Glad to be of help!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:28 PM  
Pasture Pet

You should hang around and bond with our Color gurus OTR..
Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToveroMom View Post
I agree!
Freedomnchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 PM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToveroMom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomnchrist View Post
I agree!
LMAO can you tell I spent wayyyy too much time on the internet?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Red is really hard to counter as its so dominate. I also wanted a black overo so I bought one LOL

I WANT your horse

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:43 PM  
Pasture Pet

You would have to be very short to ride him..

Does it HAVE to be an overo-how about this nice B/W colt?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:01 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasbornonahorse View Post
I WANT your horse
I think he is a pony, shetland maybe. . . BTW I also LOVE him
Old 06-12-2008, 09:17 PM  
Started

I don't care what he is.

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics