Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 AM  
Newborn Member

Riding Pregnant Mare

If I were to breed my mare would I still be able to trail ride her? For how long? Any issues I need to be aware of? Thanks
flowermill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 AM  
Kid Safe

I bought a pregnant mare a few years back (the owner too did not know). We rode her till the end of her 9th month when the vet came in to do needles and asked how far along she was . No wonder she was cinchy (well duhhhh) but she was fine once comfortable.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 AM  
Pasture Pet

Good question that I would like to know as well. Casey is fixing to be bred again and I want to continue riding her and working her lightly because she is newly trained. Also hauling them to private rides?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:04 AM  
Started

My trainer rides them lightly and on trails until the beginning of the 8th month. SHe said it kept them in better shape and made them more fit as mothers. It seemed to work good for her but I don't know if it's whats recommended or not

Last edited by horseloverinVA : 02-25-2008 at 09:08 AM.
horseloverinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 AM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to cowgirlspurs
I have had some mares-who rode all through pregnancy and we just reduced the amount of riding in the last 2 months and stopped completely the last month. They are stronger physically and seem to have easier deliveries then just standing around getting fat/big boned.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 AM  
Halter broke

You can ride your pregnant mare all throughout her pregnancy. As long as you don't push her too hard. Light trail riding would be fine. It is actually good for them to get exercise while pregnant. My mare is due in April and I was riding her regularly until she had to have hernia surgery. My trainer told me that as long as your refrain from strenuous activities that it is fine. You may want to talk to your vet about it after you breed her, just to be on the safe side.
Painter2824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:09 AM  
Yearling Member

We have some mares that ride fine until the day they drop the foal, others that make it part way through, and others still that almost seem when the sperm hits the egg "don't touch them". It really is on a mare to mare basis. The same with trailering. I've had mares that couldn't be trailered at all while pregnant because they didn't like being trailered much when they weren't preggers and others make a cross country trip at 10 months no problem.

Barefoot Farms breeding AQHA and APHA horses with outstanding performance and temperament. www.bffarms.com
barefoot rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
We rode Tara until just before Christmas and she foaled 2/19. She let us know when she was no longer comfortable and we stopped riding at that point.

Just as a woman can continue her fitness regimen of choice as long as she is comfortable doing so (and barring pregnancy complications,) a mare can continue with her fitness routine.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:36 AM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to B2Buckskins Send a message via Yahoo to B2Buckskins
I rode my mare right up until they bagged, and they had no trouble at all, expect Scamp she would no longer ride the day after I got her bred????
Country and Dixie I trail rode all the time. Country had twins, Lost the lil boy, his heart was bad, so have your mare checked, just to be safe.

good luck
Love to see all the baby picture's
Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Most mares can be ridden through their pregnancys. My daughters old mare was shown/hauled and trained until about her 7th month--she then "told" us(got very grumpy --I think saddle didn't fit so well anymore)she had enough and we stopped riding her. I wouldn't start anything new with your horse but yes trail riding should be fine and in my experiences the horses have always told us when they had had enough and it was time for them to be done until after foalling..............
just wanted to add my Percheron mare I rode her bareback up until probably a week before delivery.......... the saddle no longer fit but she didn't mind me being on her but I mostly walked at that point and just casual short rides
Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM  
Seasoned

We rode our mare very lightly till she was about 4 months along. It was kinda hard to tell with her since she is grouchy about the saddle and girth and even bareback anyway. It seems like riding a mare huge and pregnant would be uncomfortable. I think of it as a pregnant women running a relay at 7 months along. I guess its good for them to stay in shape to make delivery easier, but seems like they are not happy about it.

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:03 AM  
Started

I would say it's safe to ride but be consistant with it. I wouldn't breed her, wait months and expect her to canter or do anything more than a walk. It's just my preference. I couldn't imagine running around for the first time five months pregnant after having several months off. I was going to ride my mare through her pregnancy but didn't have the time to keep up with it and she was getting too girthy for the kids so I added her to the do not ride list. Just my opinion here .. not suggesting anyone has to go along with it.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:05 AM  
Nikknock

I never had a problem riding my mares out on trail until they were uncomfortable with it. Trust me they'll let you know when that happens. I took my Arab mare on trail bareback while pregnant with one foal the day before she dropped. She didn't want to be left behind and was making huge fuss so I grabbed a bridle and off we went. It was like riding a 50 gallon barrel though...talk about stretching my legs to fit around that. I'd just make sure to keep it to mosey though. You know...where you just mosey on down the trail...LOL. But like everyone else said, the exercise is good for them plus I think that they like to get out of the 'house/barn' just like anyone else.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 AM  
Weanling Member

I have to agree with the others. Depends on the mare sometimes. I rode Cherokee through her first pregnancy until about 9 1/2 months. About 9 months the second time cause we realized she liked to foal early. She could've still been ridden, and wanted to it seemed, but I put her on maternity leave.

My vet told us to keep riding her throughout her pregnancy, since she's an easy-keeper and it helps to keep some of the weight off. However, she did caution to not do strenuous exercise. ie: Jumping, galloping, things of the sort.
KW Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 AM  
Started

I've got some that like to be rode the whole pregnancy and others that they just get too uncomfortable. Trust me, she will definitely let you know.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:37 AM  
Halter broke

Kelsey rode her pony until 2 months before she dropped her colt. It didn't help that we didn't know she was expecting when we bought her but she was totally fine! Have ridden our new preggers pony without an issues. I too think it's good to keep them in shape. Easier for deliverly when yer in good physical condition.
dialem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM  
Coming two

I have performance horses(barrel racing/roping/team penning) that I ride while prego and have had great, healthy babies. The mare will show you if she is not happy, in that case I will stop riding. But if she still wants to go, I will but typically stop at 7/8months.
AQHBarrelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:45 PM  
Pasture Pet

I knew one mare that was ridden until the day before she foaled (not my mare and they didn't know she was bred).
I put my mare through thirty days with her colt at side and she did great. Mind you she was at her "home" farm so nothing really changed, just the fact that she was being ridden. This was about a month after she foaled.

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 PM  
Started

I rode with the saddle until the girth didn't fit anymore. THen I would only ride bareback at a walk up until about 9 months. The vet said wait about a month before riding after foaling. Then I started back slowly only in the pasture at first.

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." -Will Rogers
thunderbaby703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:23 AM  
Weanling Member

On my avatar Cookie is very pregnant

Here in my avatar Cookie was quite pregnant. She foaled Oct 19th and this picture was last July. I rode her until August and never for more than an hour during the heat.

She has only been ridden briefly in the paddock since foaling. Her filly flipped out and thought the rider was a mountain lion or such! She was screaming , bucking, broncing, and spinning..........actually it was pretty funny.
CatFromFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics