Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 AM  
Yearling Member

When do mares "show"?

When do mares start to show pregnancy? Spooks was bred at the end of June, and she was pretty trim then. She's keeping a good, fit weight right now, but when should she start rounding out in the belly? I, of course, am totally paranoid that she lost the foal...I want to see it! See it now!

My friend's mares are "every year" broodmares, and they are already FAT...but they kind of stay that way year-round. Spooky hasn't foaled for years and years...when do your horses start showing?
Perrys_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 AM  
Pasture Pet

Depends on the mare - but most start to round out in about three months..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 AM  
Yearling Member

OK, so at 1.5 months, I shouldn't be looking for baby

Y'all are going to be SICK of me after 10 more months of this! Advice is VERY much appreciated!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:34 AM  
Kid Safe

Every mare is different. I have a miniature mare about 5 months along now and you could swear she's carrying an elephant. I had a TB mare that showed at 3 months. Then, my other mare, on her 4th foal, didn't even look pregnant when she started to bag up!! I want to say it was about 3 weeks out before she actually had a round belly! Talk about nerve-wracking....

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 AM  
Halter broke

Yup they are all differnet. I have a maiden mare this year who is about 4.5 months along who is already very round in the sides. I keep telling her she has a ways to go. Poor thing is going to be big as a house by next spring. My older mare who has had several babies is not really starting to show and she is about 3.5 months. Her sister is also about the same. It just totally depends on the mare.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 AM  
Yearling Member

I'm guessing she won't show until later. She's a pretty lean Clyde, and the stud is quite a bit smaller than her. Her personality has changed considerably though, so hopefully that means she's chock-full of Progesterone.

Seriously, what a cow! Squeals and kicks at everything, a lot more "lovey" with people now (actually sneaks up to the fence when I get there and peers out at me through the trees) She's even bucked and kicked at the "Troublesome Trio" that runs our pasture! That would be Baldy (bald faced paint), Dunny (Bay Dun) and Darla the Crazy Barrel Horse. This from the horse who stood idly while tiny ponies stole food out of her MOUTH last winter!

Can you tell I love this horse?! I can't wait for her foal...I will be devastated if something bad happens...and after all the problems with the AI I don't think I'll be able to stop worrying! Not until I see a healthy baby up and nursing!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM  
Long Yearling

Just to proove they are all different, I have two mares that are huge, one of them is gianormous already, they have both foaled before; then I have one maiden who is 30 days ahead of them, you can't really tell. I look hard for it, I too am paranoid. But this is a big mare who is long everywhere, including her belly, so, she looks like she's put on weight, but other than that, no rounding belly...I don't freak on maidens...get them checked on the normal schedule and don't worry too much (easier said than done!) I know your mare's not maiden, but it's been so long her belly and ut. aren't all stretched out from the last one, etc.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 PM  
Kid Safe

If it helps, this site has AMAZING pictues and descriptions of equine fetal development:
http://www.eagleridge-twh.com/fetus1.htm

In summary of their info though,
Day 9 = no larger than a pinpoint
Day 24 = about 1/4 "
Day 40 = about 3/4 "
Day 50/55 = about the size of a pecan
Day 60 = about the size of a hamster
Day 80 = about the size of a chipmunk
Day 100 = about the size of a 6 week old kitten
Day 150 = about the size of a rabbit
Day 180 = about the size of a beagle
Day 240 = about the size of a small lamb