Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 04:06 PM  
Weanling Member

Rugged Lark and Look Who's Larkin AQHA Superhorses....

Anyone here have a horse with this line? If so, what do you have and what type of riding do you do?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:11 PM  
Seasoned

Hideaway has her stallion, Howdy, who is Rugged Lark and The Invester close up.

And I believe that Dandeeqh had a filly with him back there in her lines.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:23 PM  
Kid Safe

I thought they were cow horses, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:32 PM  
Seasoned

No, they are not necessarily cow horses.

Rugged Lark won his superhorse title from mostly WP, EP and driving, if I remember correctly, though he did have some NRHA earnings.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:09 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Linebacker55
Rugged Lark also went on to do Dressage, and was a USEF Ambassador I believe. He was a TRUE Superhorse, he competed and did well in a multitude of events. He has also produced superhorses.
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Old 06-03-2007, 06:13 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to chappel16 Send a message via Yahoo to chappel16
I have a Rugged Lark foal in training right now. She is Lark/Zippo:
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/my+lark+be+a+lady

She is the one in my avatar(I would have bigger photos, but my photobucket account is on the fritz). 3 yrs old and just about at 15.2-15.3 right now. We arent sure what way to go with her yet, but we are leaning on hunters or english of some sort...
Old 06-03-2007, 06:35 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I sold my filly with the Rugged Lark lines about a month ago. She was only a yearling but a sweetheart. She will make an excellent WP horse.

Her pedigree
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/hawkeyes+rugged+lark

Rugged Lark was a wonderful horse. Here is some info on him

http://www.whippetsandigs.com/index....18&Itemi d=31

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
Old 06-03-2007, 07:14 PM  
Weanling Member

My horse, Tall Larkin Handsome (Shiloh), who is in my avatar was sired by Look Who's Larkin - 1999 AQHA Super Horse -

Rugged Lark is Look Who's Larkin's sire - he was a 2 time AQHA Super Horse...

I was really blown away when I discovered Breyer had made a Rugged Lark model in the mid '90s....

So, I am very interested in this line..
Old 06-03-2007, 07:25 PM  
Seasoned

They're generally all-around horses, from what I understand. Though I've heard they aren't talented on cattle, they are supposed to be very light and make good WP/Reiners etc. etc. etc.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 AM  
Kid Safe

Opps
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 AM  
Pasture Pet

we don't have any, but friends do - talk about catty and light in the face... plus beautiful and built... They are indeed awesome critters...

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 AM  
Halter broke

lark lines

I have a two year old bay rugged lark/zippo filly..it is a little farther back..but she is the sweetest in your pocket, calm filly I have ever had.

She is very muscular, and will do well I think as WP more then anything.....

This line seems to produce very calm horses...sometimes you can watch her think things out to be naughty, though....like getting through a fence.

This is a pic of her as a yearling.......she is the bay getting a hug before she came home...
The owners didn't do much with her, she was wormy and her coat was just nasty....but she has shed out to a beautiful dark red bay....and gained a big butt and chest...

[img]IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/rowan_ravensbane/kiss.jpg[/IMG]
[/img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...sbane/kiss.jpg
Old 06-04-2007, 03:20 PM  
Kid Safe

I have a Lark Granddaughter.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ruggeds+strawberry+lark

She'll be 3 on this Wednesday. So far it looks like it wouldn't be hard to ask her to try anything. She has nice movement (when she isn't pretending to be an Arab) and is super quick at picking things up. Not a whole heck of a lot that will spook her either.

Now once her front end catches up to that rump, I'll be able to tell you more about how her riding is.

Last edited by muttduck : 02-03-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 PM  
Started

I love the Rugged Lark lines but as Miss Leanne said, I have a grandson and he's the quietest, most comfortable ride I have. Not real cowy though. Howdy gets er done but he's more of a couch potato. UNLESS ... you run a mare past him.
Here's the link:
http://horsetopia.horse-for-sale.org...fieds/ad116087
Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 PM  
ron
Started

Did anyone see Rugged Lark's retirement performance at the World Show a few years back?

Lynn took him through his regular routine bridless jumping with the roses and then asked if there was ayone in the audience who would like to ride him.

with all the uproar she picked out a cowboy up in the 20th row or so.

he meandered down and told her he only rode western, she said no problem and the took him back to get re-tacked up.

came out in a few minutes with a big old silver reining saddle on. and the young cowboy proceeded to mount up and ride a little bit under lynn's direction.

Then all of a sudden the cowboy reached up dropped of the bridle and proceeded to do a bridleless reining routine....yeeee haw

after the dust settled and the hollerin' stopped he was introduced as Lark's western trainer.

What a show.....and WHAT A HORSE!!

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 PM  
Weanling Member

Reading all of your stories about the Rugged Lark horses you have or have had, really is wonderful.. They are incredible, super willing, loveable and calm horses..

I know I have mentioned this, but I just got my "Larkster" - I bought him on May 21 in AZ and he was delivered to me last Thursday, May 31. I was there when he was unloaded at 4pm and spent the next four hours just being with him.. He is only 6 and what a sweet disposition...

I had to work Friday and Saturday, and I don't get home until 9 Pm - so my first real day with him was yesterday - I bathed him, loved on him and just hung out with him.. I want to get bonded to him as quickly as I can.. Today, was day 2 with him - and we did the same.. I spent all day at the stable - loving, bathing, talking to him.. Tomorrow will be the first ride - several of my barn buddies are planning an early morning trail ride.. I am looking forward to it. .

At any rate thank you all for your stories and confirming what a great line these horses are.. I feel like we are "cousins" at the very least!!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:57 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideaway
I love the Rugged Lark lines but as Miss Leanne said, I have a grandson and he's the quietest, most comfortable ride I have. Not real cowy though. Howdy gets er done but he's more of a couch potato. UNLESS ... you run a mare past him.
Here's the link:
http://horsetopia.horse-for-sale.org...fieds/ad116087
I'm still in lov with your boy...

If I ever breed one of my mares, Howdy, Gandalf, and Joe will be fighting for her affections.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 AM  
Started

That is a very tough choice muttduck! All very nice boys! Howdy says "me first, me first" !
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 AM  
Seasoned

I can honestly say that I think Howdy is 110% a 'diamond in the rough' when it comes to being relatively undiscovered. If I were still hot and heavy into the Mr Robin Boy all-around lines, I'd send a mare to him in a heartbeat, no question about it.

To look at him, I see so much of The Invester in him it's not even funny. But the Rugged Lark came through in all the right places, and from what Hideaway has said about him, especially the temperment part.

And I am SOOOO excited to see how he crosses on the Zips Chocolate Chip line.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:18 AM  
Halter broke

I have 2 Five O Clock Lark Daughters

My one mare is 3 this year, she has 90 days under saddle. I find that she is very "excitable", she is dog quiet on the ground, then under saddle, she could go for days. She not good in front of cattle, but she can pull off a reining pattern like a pro. I find that they are late to mature in their minds, and when I contact the owners of this stallion (Five O Clock Lark) I am told that this is true for most offspring. Waiting until they are 3 or 4 to start them is a good idea. I have bred my 3 year old this year to our Smart Chic Olena bred stallion. Can't wait to see this outcome!!

Just to agree with most of you, the mare is extremely sensitive in the face as well as the sides, no spurrs will ever be added to the equation!!

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics