Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM  
Yearling Member

Calling all draft people, how to braid drafts?

I have a ton of books on horses, but none of them shows how to braid a draft horse's mane and tail. All the breed books show the drafts with pretty braids and some are sticking up with spiky colorful things in their manes. That would look so cool in a halter class or a parade. The breed my boarder has are Shires. I didn't know if certain types of braids are for certain breeds. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:19 PM  
Yearling Member

Hello, don't tell me that no body knows anything about this subject...in the whole HT world???
Old 01-28-2007, 01:27 PM  
Seasoned

I know there is a book and video on Ebay?!?
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:28 PM  
Yearling Member

I can do mane rolling and scotch knots. If you'd like, one of these days I can go and take pictures of the process.

There are two different methods, one that is common in the US and the one everyone else uses. LoL.

I've never done the second method but can do the first.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 PM  
Yearling Member

I like e-bay...what is the link?

Rudy, that would be nice, could you please?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:54 PM  
Seasoned

Of course, it's not listed right now!!!

But I found this on line....maybe it will help?

http://www.draftresource.com/Draft_Braids.html
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:12 PM  
Coming two

Sorry, can't tell you, but I could show you!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:18 PM  
Yearling Member

Reckless,
I thought that link to braiding was interesting, but I must have some pictures to see what it is suppose to look like when I finish. And she makes no mention of the Drafts with the long tails. Do you still make a bun when their tail hasn't been docked?? Or is there a new design they want people to do, now that docking is pro-hibited?
My boarder's horses are Shires and have long tail bones. His old Shire, which was sold, had a shortie tail.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:06 PM  
Yearling Member

Ok, sorry it has taken a bit. My schedule has been all messed up this week. The scotch knot will have to wait awhile because of weather and such but I can show the mane rolls.

I tried my hand at the more English version of a mane roll. I am going off of my memory so if I have something out of whack...oops. Now over seas, their mane rolls are material wrapped around taffeta. The taffeta is in long thin strips and when the material is wrapped around it, it makes the braid look bulkier than it would be with just mane. Another common material is long pieces of yarn tied together in a know at the end and braided. The rosettes/flowers are narrower over seas and many many are put in the mane.

So well, I have two American main rolls, American flowers, no taffeta, and no patience to make a traditional roll of yarn. HOWEVER, I think it turned out well anyway.

I personally like the way the bulky braid looks more than the standard mane roll most often seen in the US. But that is just me...

The equipment for braiding. The two bottom bows go around a scotch knot. The longs pieces of material are actually 2 mane rolls. The purple and white join in the middle to form on bi colored roll and the silver is a sequin roll of its own. For this I needed three strips so the silver one by default became another strand. LoL. Hey..it worked. The row of four purple things are a set of flowers. I don't have enough to use them to show or anything but are fine for practice. The eight above it are to show another style of them; their tops are silver.

The braiding dummy, mane roll, and my "assistant."

Step 1:
Separate three strands of hair from just below the bridle path.

Step2:
put the three strands of material around the three strands.

Step3:
Begin a braid with the material and strands. This is your anchor. Make sure it is not loose or it and lump up.

Step 4:
Add a small strand of hair from the top of the crest to the top strand of material and hair.

Step 5:
Continue braiding down the neck. Make sure to add a small piece of hair to the "top" (right most when on left side and left most when standing on the right side) piece of material before it is braided with the rest.

Step 6:
Continue the braid all the way down to the base of the neck. When you reach the end, braid the roll straight down. You can add a couple strands of hair if you wish but just braiding without is fine.

Step 7:
To end the roll, take the longest strand of material(normally one comes out longer then another but if you are lucky enough to have them all even, just pick one.) and wrap around the other strands at the bottom of the braid.

Step 8:
Pull the end through where the material is wrapped around.

Step 9:
Grab and pull snug so that it will not come undone. Make sure that there are no loose hairs.

Step 10:
Getting ready to add flowers.

Step11:
Now from what I read, over in England, the flowers are not always tied it. Instead they have a little longer wire stem and are just placed through or behind the braid in a way that they stand straight up. That is all I did to these was stick them through. When I do the other version I'll show the actual 'tying' of them. And yes there are supposed ot be a lot more of them but for demonstration, this works.

DONE!!!
Pat yourself on the back because you are done! The flowers are supposed to be spaced evenly. The first and last ones should be placed first and the others placed evenly between. To accentuate the arch of the neck, esp. is a horse doesn't have a great arch, the flowers in the center of the neck can be left with more stem sticking out and the rest a little shorter with the top and bottom being the shortest to create an artificial arch.

I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:21 PM  
Yearling Member

Cool, I look forward to any other demonstrations you want to show me. Are the flowers made out of chenille wire, like pipe cleaners that they sell in the craft stores? Are there rules as to what colors you choose for your horse. One is a black shire with white stockings and a blaze. The other is gray with black mane.and black and gray natural length tail. I can't wait to see you do the tail!lol
Old 02-02-2007, 05:32 PM  
Bombproof Member

I'm a draft owner, but have done no showing, so I didn't think I coudl help. But I ran across this today when I was hanging out on DraftResource.com

http://www.draftresource.com/Draft_Braids.html
Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM  
Yearling Member

OK, so how about the tail?? Anyone??
Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 PM  
Yearling Member

For the tails on an undocked horse, do a scotch knot up top...take yarn and wrap it over the know. French braid the rest of the tail over the yarn going down the dock. Once at the bottem, finish the braid, tie the very end of the yarn to it. Take where te yarn is wrapped over the knot and pull. This is to pull the braid up under itself.

I would post pictures but...heh...it's CoOoOoOoOold and my hands would fa fa fa freEeEeEeEezzzzzzze.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:09 PM  
Started

Try here:

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ing_tips-3.htm

http://members.tripod.com/~tisca/plaiting.html

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 PM  
Yearling Member

Thank-you guys and girls! I understand about the COOOOLD. It is also cold here and windy, which makes it worse. All the websites are cool, but Rudy, I love the demos with your cat as your assistant. lol I will check back often as the tail is still kind of a mystery. Sharon
Old 02-08-2007, 01:42 PM  
Yearling Member

Since it will be a good while before I am up to the task of doing the tail on a real live horse, would drawings work??

Heck, I'll draw it out anyway, if it's not clear enough then I'll get around to doing the tail eventually. lol. To do a scotch knot, an assistant is WONDERFUL...however my cat doesn't has the necessary thumbs or height.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:09 PM  
Yearling Member

Well, that's understandable! Ha Ha, I have 2 orange cats and they are wonderful helpers when I'm making quilts and I have the whole design laid out on the floor.
I will be practicing braiding tails on my 14 hand pony mare until I know what I am doing. Even though she hates being touched! lol Then when I get good, I will attempt the big guys. The baby is over 17 hands already.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:27 AM  
Yearling Member

Ok, this is drawing of a docked tail but the scotch knot is done on the top of an undocked tail also. To start an undocked tail, separate the top 4-6inches of hair away from the other part of the tail and that will be what is done up in the knot.

I'll do drawings of the different undocked variations, most likely this weekend.

Let me know if this helps!!

STEP 1
Brush the tail out until there are no knots. Also thinning will help a lot, especially on a thick tail

STEP 2
Divide the hair into three even section. The top two section dividing along the middle of the dock and the third below them. Take a long piece of yarn, around 6 ft would be good, and put it taunt across the top two sections as shown.

STEP 3
The bottom section needs to be pulled straight up (this is why a helper would be nice.) A brush comes in handy to get all the hair smooth and straight up. This needs to be held taunt in place.

STEP 4
Now comes a fun part. While the top potion is being held up, the two side pieces, along with their end of yarn, needs to be crossed over each other to the other side tightly.

STEP 5
Now while the two sides are being held, the top portion needs to be brought back down over the top of the other two. Be careful not to let a lot of slack out or it will look loose when done.

STEP6
Now take the three pieces(2 should still have the yarn) and braid them snugly as far down as you can go. Fasten with a rubber band and also tie the yarn around the band.

STEP 7
Use a large braiding needle or your fingers and carefully bring the end of the braid up through where it all comes together behind the braid. Make sure you are in the middle.

STEP 8
Pull the braid all the way up, even moreso then the side view. Don't make it overly tight, but not loose either.

STEP 9
Hold the newly formed *ball* and wrap the braid around it tightly.

STEP 10
When you reach the end, try and make the end of the braid inconspicuous. Take the yarn and wrap on piece around clockwise and the other counter clockwise a few times. As you do this, you can make sure it lays over the end of the braid as a way to get the end to lie flat and blend. Take the two pieces of yarn and knot them together and make sure it holds. Cut the remaining yarn of and viola...you have a scotch knot!

STEP 11
The knot is where the bow is put. The top bow is often smaller than the bottom bow. They are attached to a circle of wide elastic and come in many style and colors.

One thing that used to be common but you don't always see it anymore are tail sprigs. They go behind the bow and are tied around the knot and look like two thin things(almost like pipe cleaners but not quite) sticking out above the bow. I have no clue how to do those. I borrowed a book once that had t in it but had to give it back before I could make a copy. Good news though...it's not required! lol

Ok.. I quit *takes a deep breath* and am off to bed before I fall over. Again if you need any clarification, just let me know.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:59 AM  
Kid Safe

Awesome illustrations!!

I don't even own a draft, but now I wanna go practice that on a horse!!
Old 02-10-2007, 05:22 PM  
Yearling Member

Rudy, that was great! Thank-you, now you know what I will be doing on my friends horses when it is raining out {or freezing} and we are stuck in the barn. Practicing. Theres niothing like illustrations to clear up a mystery.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics