Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2007, 03:50 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Is She Silver Buckskin? Pictures Added

OK. I started a new topic because I want to use the "color calculator" and can't figure out what color my filly is.

My Clydesdale/Pinto cross filly, Ella, is some shade of buckskin sabino. She's very light colored in the winter and dapples out to a nice buckskin color in the summer. She has no primative markings, high white stockings above the knee and hocks on three of her legs, a belly spot, and a blaze that extends under her lower lip. Here's where I get confused. Her mane is dark in the center and has white (silver?) hair on the edges like a Fjord and she has white at the top of her tail. Also, her mane and tail don't appear to be true black, they fade out to brown on the ends...

Would she be considered a silver buckskin? I can't use the calculator until I figure out her true color. Does it help to know her dam is a black sabino Clydesdale with quite a bit of roaning? Could Ella have roaning but she's too light colored to see it?
Miichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:57 PM  
Pasture Pet

Love to see a pic
The frosting on the mane sure adds flash. I believe but am not positive[I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong]that frosted manes are dun/buckskin related.
I sure have seen plenty with it. My red dun filly almost looks like a white mane but it is just heavily frosted on both sides.
Can you just plug in buckskin on the color calculator to get a general idea? Does silver dapple occur in Clydes?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:02 PM  
ron
Started

The clyde sure brings in the big blaze/high whites from that sabino type. I feel that those type (especially budweiser type) are homo since they breed so true.

silver frosting is common in bucksins and the silver dapple is much more common (oh geekzilla and geekazoid correct me if I am wrong) in ponys and minis.

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:07 PM  
Bombproof Member

They have confirmed Silver Dapple in QH's and Morgans, so I suppose it is technically possible that the pinto stud would have passed it down. However, does your filly have diluted points, or are her points black? Silver buckskins will have diluted points to at least some degree.

Scroll down this page and you will find information on Silver Buckskins at the bottom - and yes, we would love some pictures.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:20 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I only have pictures of her in the winter and you can barely see her markings. Here are her 6 mos. pictures right after we got her, her mane is fuzzier in the picture but the color is still the same (She's coming three this spring). In the summer her right leg is dark chocolate brown (almost black) with a white spot on her knee. You might be able to see that her mane and tail are more a dark chocolate color than black. (FYI she's not back at the knee (as she looks in the first side shot) her heels were so underslung when I got her that she couldn't stand any other way ).

Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Here's her foal picture. She's didn't change color on her body just her points. She's still this is the color in the summer only she has dapples.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Well I don't feel so bad any more. 174 people have looked at my post and no one else seems to know what color she is either.

How do you go about getting a horse DNA tested for color?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:53 AM  
Yearling Member

UC Davis does color testing.

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/service/h...silverdilution

All I can say is beautiful horses! I have to rely on a calculator too...and maybe that is a reason I only have sorrel or bay horses...
Old 01-04-2007, 01:01 PM  
Pasture Pet

Well if you want just an opinionshe looks like a buckskin to me. That is basing it on the pics,which are not too good for judging. I am not seeing the silver variant in there.
The sabino aside I was just commenting on the base color.
She is a cutie
Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM  
Greenbroke Member

What IS silver buckskin? Or for that matter "dunskin"? And if her points are dark brown is she still a buckskin or is that resulting from a dilution gene? Is their such thing as a dilute buckskin? Sorry the pictures are bad, she's a horrible color to photography in the winter. I could take new ones, but she would still be a washed out yellow. When we got her I thought she would shed out to a nice dark buckskin and even though she's darker with nice dapples she's still a light yellow.

Thanks for the compliments, she's very sweet! The pictures were taken with my (then) 8 year old daughter a couple of days after we got her, not halter broke or handled. I'd like to bred her to a TB, but she'll have to "work for a living" as a riding horse we can't afford to have just a brood mare. (My daughter would like a palomino but from what I can calculate I'm not likely to get one from any shade of buckskin. Looks like I'll be buying if we want a palomino! ).
Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM  
Bombproof Member

She looks buckskin with the sabino gene to me also. She is very cute!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Old 01-04-2007, 07:15 PM  
Long Yearling

Awww, what sweety.

Here is a thread that will answer you questions better then I can. http://forum.horsetopia.com/viewtopic.php?t=2789

Oh yes, a silver buckskin is a buckskin that also has the silver gene.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:35 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miichelle
What IS silver buckskin? Or for that matter "dunskin"? And if her points are dark brown is she still a buckskin or is that resulting from a dilution gene? Is their such thing as a dilute buckskin? Sorry the pictures are bad, she's a horrible color to photography in the winter. I could take new ones, but she would still be a washed out yellow. When we got her I thought she would shed out to a nice dark buckskin and even though she's darker with nice dapples she's still a light yellow.

Thanks for the compliments, she's very sweet! The pictures were taken with my (then) 8 year old daughter a couple of days after we got her, not halter broke or handled. I'd like to bred her to a TB, but she'll have to "work for a living" as a riding horse we can't afford to have just a brood mare. (My daughter would like a palomino but from what I can calculate I'm not likely to get one from any shade of buckskin. Looks like I'll be buying if we want a palomino! ).
Wow - lots of questions in there.

Silver buckskin is a buckskin that also has the Silver gene.

A dunskin is a buckskin that also has the Dun gene, and will have a dorsal stripe and at least one or two other "primitive" markings, including but not limited to leg and shoulder barring, cobwebbing etc.

Dark brown points still a buckskin make, at least IMO. Buckskin ranges in shade from very light to very dark. As far as a "dilute buckskin", a buckskin is the result of a single cream gene working on a Bay base coat; two cream genes results in a Perlino, which I guess you could call a dilute buckskin if you really wanted to confuse the heck out of people.

Basically, you can have a buckskin with any combination of other dilution, modifier and pattern genes.

Before I answer your question about breeding her to obtain a palomino, what color was her sire? This may also help figure out if she could have the Silver dilution or not.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:43 PM  
Greenbroke Member

OK. From what I've been able to figure out, she's not a silver buckskin. She's just a light buckskin, so that means she doesn't have the red gene, correct?

I thought if a buckskin had primative markings that it was a dun? So what's the difference between a dun and a dunskin? (See, I told you I was confussed)...

When I bought Ella I was told that her sire was a buckskin QH. After I bought her I found out the sire is a bucksin overo, he thought by a Shire and out of an overo Paint mare. She might end up being a little bigger than we had planned.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:53 PM  
ron
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miichelle
OK. From what I've been able to figure out, she's not a silver buckskin. She's just a light buckskin, so that means she doesn't have the red gene, correct?

I thought if a buckskin had primative markings that it was a dun? So what's the difference between a dun and a dunskin? (See, I told you I was confussed)...

When I bought Ella I was told that her sire was a buckskin QH. After I bought her I found out the sire is a bucksin overo, he thought by a Shire and out of an overo Paint mare. She might end up being a little bigger than we had planned.

ONE AT A TIME.

I agree...light buckskin and will have some frosting in mane & tail. But she could sure have red gene, but could just as easily not have it. I don't know what sire was genetically. But the black in the buckskin is dominant and will mask over red gene.

a dun and a dunskin are similar but dun will not have creme. dun modifies bay to the yellow/tan color where creme modifies to the gold/buttermilk color.

buckskin does not have primitive markings

dun & dunskin does

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:54 PM  
Long Yearling

A buckskin is a bay diluted by the creme gene.

A bay dun is a bay diluted by the dun gene.

She may or may not have the red gene. All genes come in pairs, we know that she has at least one black gene as she is a buckskin, the other gene maybe black or red.

If she gets too big you can always send her out to me.

Edit- Oops, ron beat me to it.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 PM  
Coming two

She is definitely a buckskin, I would have to agree with you that she is in fact a silver one.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:16 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYJumper
If she gets too big you can always send her out to me.
If I did, I think I'd have to send a 10 yr. old girl with her (the one in the picture)! I bought my daughter a nice Appy that's in training but apparently she likes my filly better. I mentioned once that our trainer could sell Ella once she was broke and going well (he has a market for draft crosses) and from the reation I got from Kylie you would have thought I'd suggested we send her to slaughter!

Ella moves very much like a draft, but that high knee action really gets those knees up over a fence. I've seen her jump out of our 4 foot fence and she does it with style.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:07 AM  
Newborn Member

This is one that I'm puzzling over, too. Information seems very shady on dunalino, dunskin and silver buckskin. Here's what I think I know:
1) Silver gene only lightens black hairs, so it should have NO effect on red dun horse. A horse with red dun legs and blond mane could be dunalino.
2) Creme gene lightens only red hairs, so single dilute should have NO effect on dunskin mane, tail, legs. White mane must be caused by something else.
3) Here's the leap! Therefore, a yellowish horse with WHITE mane and tail and Black/Brown legs, therefore, should be a silver buckskin. Can anybody correct me here?
sandrareese is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics