Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2006, 07:36 AM  
Seasoned

udders filling? Lots of Pictures.

Ok guys I know I'n super excited to have this foal but am I crazy it this mare's udder starting to fill or am I just to hopeful?

Here are her udders two days ago.

This is her vulva when I got her it was sunken in and seemedmuch smaller as you can see it has come out and it seems to be longer?

These are her udders today?

Sorry so many pictures I just want lots of veiws.

Thanks for any help!!!

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:39 AM  
Pasture Pet

No discharge yet - it needs to get a little spoungier around her tail - but you are getting closer... (and I have been wrong many times before )

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:39 AM  
Long Yearling

I can just picture you out there trying to get these angles........ Too Funny!!!!! Her bag might be starting to get bigger, but it has a long way to go....... The wait is so long.....

Luv2Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 AM  
Seasoned

Would you say about one more month or so? Her tail rump area is getting very spongey I compared it to my other mare and foals to make sure I was feeling her right and not trying to feel things that wasn't really there out or excitement!!!

Yes this is my first mare in foal and she is getting the royal treatment she probably thinks she gone to heaven with the food and blankets and twice daily grooming. She was under weight and still is in my opinion when i got her from the auction.

She has been so patient with me and it one of the sweetest horse. Hopefully she will stay that way after the baby is born?

Also should I stop putting on her blanket if she is really close to foaling? Iwas told she should be blanketed when she is close to haveing her foal.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:59 AM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
If she has a nice coat, there is no need to blanket her (unless it gets really low temps). Remove the blanket when she is ready to foal.

It didnt seem like there is much filling at all to me.

How far along did the vet say she was?

Brittany
Old 11-22-2006, 08:05 AM  
Seasoned

The vet wasn't able to tell me any more than she is at least 6 month along. She wasn't able to get her arm in very far to feel the baby size. She is short with short arms and cinnamon is about 14.3 with a high rump. She said she very well could be further along and we would know for sure when she starts to bag up.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:14 AM  
Kid Safe

When her udders start filling, you could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 4-6 weeks away from foaling.

Sierra started filling up about 3 weeks out. By the last week, it stayed large and firm. When the milk turned white she was I believe 3 days out, when it turned a cream color (colostrum) she foaled the same night.

When she gets real close, wrap her tail so that it doesn't get gross. I wasn't able to wrap Dixie's (a palomino QH I had) because I didn't know when her exact due date was and she just dropped right out in the pasture without any signs of pending foaling. Her tail was really disgusting after that, took a long time to wash it all out. Not to mention she was nearly totally "wild" when I got her.

Dixie didn't follow the "textbook" and as soon as she foaled, she had a nice large bag out of nowhere.

Every mare is different, and I hope she lets you see her foaling! So far Ive been lucky enough to be able to watch every foal be born here.

Brittany
Old 11-22-2006, 08:29 AM  
Seasoned

I hope so to this is my first time and I want my hands all over that foal as soon as it hits the ground!!! It will never know what hit it and he or she will never have a fear in the world!!!!

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:38 AM  
Kid Safe

Are you going to keep it? Im not sure whether or not I plan on keeping the foal out of Shawnee and Zippy. I might if its a nice filly (especially if its a black n white like I hope!)... but not sure if I'll keep a colt for a show gelding or not. Guess I'll know when it gets here.

Brittany
Old 11-22-2006, 09:07 AM  
Seasoned

I'm pretty positive that if it is a colt I'm going to sell it unless it is one of the best marked horses in the world. If it's a filly and fairly well marked I will keep it and sell my palomino gelding and keep only mares.

I seem to get along better with my mares!

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 AM  
Yearling Member

Don't know if this helps at all, but here is Monty's udder right before she foaled.

It's hard to see but they were very full side to side as well. Kind of like a cow but on a smaller scale.

Your mares udder looks just like my mare who hasn't started to bag up yet I think you have a little bit to go yet, though lord knows I am still being proven wrong with my mare
Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 AM  
Seasoned

Yea I'm thinking it will be about another 6 weeks or so give or take. I've noticed in just the last few days that she is starting to change.

I'm not a patient person and this is just killing me. If I knew for sure when she was due then it wouldn't be so bad but not have much idea makes it very hard. The people how sold her to us said that they didn't think she was bred. She said she was never exposed to anyone that they knew of? So maybe this was a sponanious pregnancy.

I've been hearing more and more about those that aren't really pregnant. The foal just appeared one day!!

Izzy my walking dream!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:22 AM  
Yearling Member

My Guess and this is just a guess, from our own mares and all mares shape up differently, but 8 to 10 weeks just judging by her bag .

Excellent book to get for a ton of information and alot of pictures is :::
BLESSED ARE THE BROODMARES : by PHYLLIS M LOSE, who is an equine vet.

I have bother her books and re-read them every january/february and they are alwsy hand all the way thru foaling season.

Let us know how she is doing and we will be waiting for baby pictures with a happy healthy baby and mom, (both 2 legged mom and 4 legged mom.)

RIDE LIKE A PILOT NOT A PASSENGER
Quarters N Paints is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics