Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2006, 05:12 PM  
Long Yearling

Equine Embryo Transfer

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with equine embryo transfer??? If so, i would like to know any informtaion about it, and your personal experiance. I did find a couple of websites i've already read, but i was wanting to hear about it first hand. Thanks!!!!!
Luv2Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:55 PM  
ron
Started

I have not done it, but have friends that have. What kind of information wore you wondering about.

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:31 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I know that it's very expensive and also very labor intensive.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:24 AM  
Long Yearling

Well, i do not know if i am NUTS, but the reason i am wondering about it is.............. i bought a horse when i was 10, she was 6. Well, i love her dearly but never bred her at all. She is now 23, and she is way too old to breed, but i would love for her to leave a legacy, and i would love to keep a part of her, even after she is gone someday, which will hopefully be a long time away. So my thought was to breed her by AI, and then transfer the embryo to a younger, healthy mare. I just have so many questions as to whether or not this would even be possible, or safe for her. What are the risks, since she is 23, are the chances high that the AI wouldn't even take???? Is it crazy for me to even be thinking of??? (not sure if i want that answered ). I just love this mare to DEATH and i would just love to have one of her babies. She is the one in my avatar. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 AM  
ron
Started

well it can get quite expensive, especially in Iowa. I think you would probably have to transpoert the mare somewhere that does the procedure. Another problem would be if the mare is producing viable follicles. If all that passes ok, then you have to line up a recepient mare. The procedure itself is not that complicated.

If you choose to proceed with it, plan on a budget of 8-10 thousand including normal stud fees, shipping fees, transport fees, bet fees, repro exam, the actual procedure, mare leasing, and mare upkeep

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:24 AM  
Long Yearling

Well, i need to check into it, but we have a veterinarian school here at Iowa State University. I need to check with them and see if they do it and how much it would cost. Could i have a mare of my own be the surrogate?? That way i am not paying to lease a mare?? The vet hosipital is about 30 minutes away from here. I would probably not pick an outrageously expensive stud fee. I don't even have a stud in mind at the moment. Would any of this cut the cost?? Do you know if there is any risk to my mare, beings she is older????? I would never forgive myself if i did this, and then it caused something to happen to her. AND...... I actually don't own her at the moment. I sold her to a family 5 years ago for a girl to use in 4-H, i will be getting her back sometime in the next year, i think. So i wouldn't be doing this until she was mine again. I am just wanting to figure out if it could possibly be an option, so i can save $$$$ and all. Thanks so much!! I truly appreciate it!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 AM  
Weanling Member

I would say plan on ten thousand at least. I think it costs 5-6 thousand just to flush and implant the embryo. And, I believe that a spayed mare is generally used as a recipient.
Smart Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:10 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Chic
And, I believe that a spayed mare is generally used as a recipient.
OK, you're going to have to elaborate on that one for me! Isn't the result of "spaying" in any animal, so that it cannot get pregnant.............. So this statement doesn't make sense to me. Thanks!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:20 AM  
Weanling Member

That's what I thought too! It is just something that I was told by a breeding manager at a large ranch when I was asking questions about embryo transfer. Maybe somebody else can explain it to us. A spayed mare goes into heat, so maybe they still have most of their "plumbing".
Smart Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:28 AM  
Pasture Pet

A spayed mare has no uterus so nowhere to 'bake" the baby.
If the ovaries are left I guess they could react when follicles are forming in there.
I only have had the one spayed mare but she did not cycle at all-nothing

Edit***
My bad-yes it is the ovaries but now vaginal spays are done and it is a much less invasive procedure and recovery time is very fast.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 PM  
Halter broke

Spayed mare

Actually a spayed mare does have a uterus but no ovaries. Our vet used our stocks and breeding area to spay a mare a couple of years ago. Very interesting procedure. They go in through the flank and remove the ovaries only. They get both from the same side (just reach in from a small, arm size incision). The mare was very sedated but standing throughout the procedure. I have talked to the mare's owner several times since and she is doing great.
ttldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Breeding farms tend to have a spayed mare on hand to use for a tease mare for AI collection.

In order to do an embryo transfer you would need to have a healthy mare on hand that was cycling just at the right time to receive the embryo that was flushed from the dam. Many times vet facilities that do embryo transfer will have a herd of draft cross mares that are leased out to the mare owners as recipient mares.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:14 AM  
Long Yearling

Eggs in humans are there at birth; consequently, a 40-year-old woman has 40-year-old eggs, which is what makes conception difficult and birth defects more prominent. Is the same thing true of horses? Would Love2game's 23-year-old mare have 23-year-old eggs? Would the same problems occur?
Luv2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics