Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2006, 07:02 PM  
Bombproof Member

The links I posted at the beggining are from APHA. Tovero and Overo.
Here is the link for Tobiano.
http://www.apha.com/breed/tobiano.html

As per APHA, the face is DARK, not white, on Tobiano's. Head markings are like those of a solid-colored horse--solid, or with a blaze, strip, star or snip.

And for the Tovero, the legs are WHITE, as well, by the pics posted on APHA.
The head: Dark pigmentation around the ears, which may expand to cover the forehead and/or eyes.
One or both eyes blue.
Dark pigmentation around the mouth, which may extend up the sides of the face and form spots

All anyone has to do is click on the links and they can read it for themselves. <snip>

So, what is this mare, since she is marked some what like the gelding posted?

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:12 PM  
Weanling Member

That horse is tovero by book. It depends on her genes too. I don't give a rip what the papers say either, the association doesn't have time to make sure all of the markings are correct. What the owner says is what the horse gets registered under unless its a solid vs regular registry issue.<snip>Tobianos have the same face markings as a solid horse. The blaze can be any size just like a solid QH. And of course the toveros legs are white, I just said that the whole horse is white except for the spots I mentioned. You can't just look at the face of the horse to tell color, you have to look at their body. But since this horse has a lot of markings and white along with sorrel across his back, his is tobiano, not tovero. We have lots of toveros on our mares page, you can look at them for examples of color. All of our colts this year were tobiano, you can look at them also for examples of color. The mares were not bred to that overo stallion, they were bred to the tobiano stallion, otherwise we would have had toveros and overos this year too.
czykittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:36 PM  
Yearling Member

wow, things sure are heatin up!

No good horse is a bad color....so really why debate over it. APHA can tell ya if you don't know. But then again, just like crzykitten said, they allowed my studs previous owner to register him as an overo....He can't be! All he has is a palomino spot on his poll (avatar) and a palomino Patch on his flank. That is it, the owners though it, so that was how he was registered. I would hope that if I accidentally sent in the wrong definition (Overo, Tobiano, Tovero) on one of my foals, that they would correct me. After all they are the ones who kinda "made" the rules.

here is my stud
Millenium Miracle, Sired by Top Man (tovero) out of Jacks Susie Sox (QH)
[img][/img]
Sorry, this is not a very flattering picture of my boy at all!
[img][/img]

He has thrown (all out of solid mares)
1 Dunalino Solid, 1 Buckskin solid, chestnut Tobiano, a Sabino Overo, and one that looked to be a black/smoky black tovero. The last one did not live, so I wasn't exactly sure of her type. She may have been tobiano.

So how could he throw Tobiano's if the mare does not carry a tobiano gene, and he is "overo"?????

I have learnt a lot (Lots from you guys) but this just don't make sense!

Here is his daughter, Sabino Overo....her coloring is a splash paint though. She is that right..? They allowed me to register her as an Overo...

[img][/img]

Don't fight, its just color right? Wouldn't it be easier if all horses were chestnut!? I think I would be busting out the spray paint!

C\'mon Merikle...Heal That Darn Corneal Ulcer!!! Shows coming up...Are we ready?
Merikle Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:46 PM  
Weanling Member

Your colt is a overo. Were the colts out of solid paint mares or qh mares?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:49 PM  
Pasture Pet

Oh heck yes-people ask your opinion and you give it-it is just color.
The easiest way is to know the parentage and then know for sure-maybe .
I have been misled before by 2 colts who appeared to be overo and tested out with tobi markers and so were indeed Toveros.
Slipped or hidden tobis can be indorrectly identified as solid and then TaDa there crops up the tobi markers. Heck some of those slipped tobis only have a half pastern!
Gene testing is exact-eyeballing it is not.
Now I do not take such an absolute stand as I did in the past. They can be misleading. That is why I said it looks like a tovero to me.
<snip>
I am not mad Merikle-just chatting

Did you go ahead and re do his paperwork to show the change-due to his color production?I think it is only a 5.00 fee.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:56 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Funny about APHA and color patterns. I just finished registering my colt on line. I didn't get to pick what pattern he was, just what color and downloaded my photos.

BTW a Tovero can throw an overo, just needs an overo gene on the other side. Go a beautiful overo years back out of a textbook Tovero and my solid QH mare.

Please be careful telling people that they don't know what they're talking about. Some get rather upset and don't appreciate it. Everybody makes mistakes, those who are mature adults can admit when they are wrong.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:59 PM  
Weanling Member

I would say he is tovero because of what hes thrown but like ToveroMom says, you would have to get him tested to be sure. I honestly don't know what to say about your stud because I can't see his spots first of all and I think there might be champagne genes at work too complicating things. I lean towards tovero-he has blue eyes and a spot around his mouth but I can't say that 100%.

<snip>
Old 07-21-2006, 08:22 PM  
Weanling Member

<snip>

Some horses are hard to tell if they have multiple genes at work but thats where UC Davis comes in handy...

Merikle, do you have a website? I like that overo colt, he has nice color. Id like to see what else your stud has thrown this year. Not a good year for us-all sorrel tobianos At least you get a good variety from him.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:25 PM  
Yearling Member

<snip>

So sorry, back to my stud.....(sorry! have to know!) They told me to actually be able to change the pattern type, they would have to fly some one out to check him out...? Couldn't I send in pictures?

My stud was bred to all to QH (solids). So how could I be getting Tobiano's out of an Overo stud by Solid mares? This is one of those times were I have no idea...It sounds logical, but really when is it always logical???

Is the filly a Sabino?

Edited to add: Lol She's a filly, and all I have is her HT site, he has only so far produced 5 foals. I could post pictures of the rest of his babies later. here is her link http://horsetopia.horse-for-sale.org...fieds/ad119552 .
Wow you guys, I can't keep up! I go to post and 6 people have already posted since I started typing....You all go to typing school or what!? Or does the discussion speed up your fingers...?

C\'mon Merikle...Heal That Darn Corneal Ulcer!!! Shows coming up...Are we ready?
Merikle Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM  
ron
Started

if merikle's horse has sired tobiano foals out of solid qh, then he is indeed a tovero. He looks tovero to me.

but then again, I don't know too much about paints.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 PM  
Kid Safe

paints

Paints/pintos...them's those funny, colored up horses, right? I understand some of them come with medicine hats....

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:32 AM  
Kid Safe

Just a little reminder to tell everyone that while it is OK to disagree, argueing and squabbling is not allowed. This conversation contained lots of usefull, releveant information and was going nicely until it broke down into a fight.

Quote:
3. Follow the Golden Rule. Treat others how you would like to be treated. We are a friendly community and we do not tolerate negative comments directed at Horsetopia forum members or staff. This rule applies to comments made on the forum, through email or Private message, and elsewhere on the internet.
Thank you,

~The Moderators~

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:58 AM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
I would consider the first horse asked about a Tovero. The mare snickers posted looks to be tovero as well.

Merikle: If your stallion only has spots on his poll and side, I would consider him a Tovero. Proof of that is in his foals, both Tobiano and Overo means Pops has to be Tovero.

Brittany
Old 07-22-2006, 08:59 AM  
Yearling Member

Tovero. COuld be one of his parents with Tovero and misregistered. Beautiful Boy BTW.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:11 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KJUN
I have 2 overos and I am really kind of dumb when it comes to colors But Now I must ask why did all the <snips> take place Darn I always miss everything LOL

KJUN
Old 07-22-2006, 09:22 AM  
Pasture Pet

You missed nuthin' but a small catfight..the pertinant info is still here
Old 07-22-2006, 09:27 AM  
Yearling Member

LOL Ok Thank You

KJUN

I just didn't want to miss anything important as I am a Paint owner and the overo and tobiano thing is interesting to me
Old 07-23-2006, 05:25 AM  
Weanling Member

Post pics! Overo is the color to have right now in paints. Just keep informed on the lethal white gene if you plan on breeding...
Old 07-23-2006, 05:40 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czykittin
Post pics! Overo is the color to have right now in paints. Just keep informed on the lethal white gene if you plan on breeding...
Yes I have had My 6 year old mare tested and she is good to go here she is and sorry they are not the best photos but until I get home in 2 weeks they will have to do...lol This photo is of her 2.5 years ago with my youngest daughter and my son

This is my now 3.5 month old Filly who is a cousin in bloodlines to my mare...We have not had her tested for the lethal white gene yet...
"CHER"

Someday I do want to breed But for "CHER" it will of course be a long time from now and for "DESI" It is just a matter of finding the right stallion and We will either breed next spring or the spring after that not real sure since I will have to move again in November 2007...We have to relocate with the Army Then...
Sorry if everyone is getting tired of my photos

Have A Wonderful Day
KJUN (KAREN)
Old 07-23-2006, 06:50 AM  
Bombproof Member

Karen,

Now, I would love to have them standing in my pasture.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics