Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2006, 04:44 AM  
Halter broke

Question about registering APHA or AQHA

Hi All,

I have a mare that is APHA solid breeding stock. Her pedegree is APHA on the topside and AQHA on the bottom side.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/circle+k+eyeddixon

Okay I bred her to a AQHA stallion.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inde...mall_font=1&l=

My qusetion is if I can register the resulting foal with AQHA. All but the top side of my mare is AQHA. I see some stallions that are registered with both AQHA and APHA. How do they do that? I really want to register this baby with AQHA. Opinions please??

Thanks in advance!
ksgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:57 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
NO. The resulting foal would likely be another breeding stock paint. Unless you're mare is double registered.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:02 AM  
Yearling Member

The only way for the foal to be AQHA registered is if both parents are AQHA registered. Therefore, your mare would have to be registered with AQHA. Since it sounds like she's only APHA, then the foal will also be APHA.
JSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:32 AM  
Yearling Member

I have to agree with JSlow. Your mare unfortunately has a lot of paint before you get to QH breeds. The way the AQHA described it to me is that you have to go back to the horse's first QH parents and start registration from there. Also I think there was a time limit to do it for a small chunk of change and now it will cost from 1000-1500 (could be off on those numbers.).

I am trying to register my mare QH as she is considered a cropout (small amount of white). Her whole family is QH registered she just happened to have that small white that disqualified her.

I spoke with the AQHA on several occasions and all I need now is her original breeders signature and viola...double registered.
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/citie+stages

So far I have been waiting since April so who knows when it will happen.
Squeekers Tovero Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:11 AM  
Halter broke

Next question

Since I can't register the foal with AQHA although it is 3/4 QH will that bring the value of the foal down? I know it will be a solid so then it will be a APHA breeding stock. GRRRRRR

I understand why AQHA is so strict on registering but this really bums me out. I mean we are talking Two Eyed Jack 4 times on this foals pedigree along with Two ID Bartender and Beau Bonanza. The stallion I chose has 5 AQHA champions on his pedigree with a total of over 2100 points in roping, reining, western pleasure, and halter!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:37 AM  
Weanling Member

Agree with JSLOW. The only way AQHA accepts registration is if BOTH parents are currently enrolled with AQHA.

JMO~ I would have researched all my questions regarding registrations, foal color etc......before ever breeding her to any stallion.
BYEARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 AM  
Greenbroke Member

It may bring down the value some, but it depends on how you market the horse. Rather than marketing it towards the breed, just market it towards whatever sport it's suited for. I know for barrel racing (and I'm sure other sports as well) people don't care so much about the "breed" as long as it's got the bloodlines, the look, and will run. I'd image ropers, penners, cutters, etc feel the same.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:13 AM  
Yearling Member

There are also people out there that like the BS paints. People that breed for color (buckskin, dun, grulla) would be interested in the foal if it was a solid, colored horse. The Buckskin clubs don't register anything that exceeds what was AQHA's white rule. So, for them, a BS buckskin could also be registered with the 2 buckskin clubs and they could then compete in 3 circuits! The one big thing here would be that at least she would be registerable with APHA!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:19 AM  
Pasture Pet

I may have missed this part of the discussion, but unless the AQHA stallion you have bred to is listed and approved with the APHA you will not be able to register the foal APHA either! Our buckskin stallion is AQHA and APHA - and he is bred to a breeding stock APHA bay mare that will probably produce an APHA solid buckskin (mare's sire and dam were buckskins - so good chance) - she is over 80% quarter horse breeding, and we already have three people interested in the foal and don't even know if she has ssettled yet!!! So, if the mare is a good horse and the stud is a good horse, APHA or AQHA may not matter!!!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:45 AM  
Halter broke

I spent a year looking for a stallion based on Confirmation, Disposition, bloodlines and performance. The color was not a deciding factor. Just a plus. My mare is a little long in the back and this stallion is shorter. My mares head is a little bigger than I like and the stallions is smaller. They both have very nice butts, toplines are nice. My mares disposition is very mellow and this stallion is so mellow that I thought he was a gelding. Pedigree in both are very good. All of this was my deciding factor in choosing the stallion I did. I wasn't worried about what registery it would belong too until I got around a bunch of AQHA people at a show.

Its how people are so prejudise (sp) in my area that has me bummed. If it don't have AQHA papers it aint worth nothing.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:21 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarmranch
I may have missed this part of the discussion, but unless the AQHA stallion you have bred to is listed and approved with the APHA you will not be able to register the foal APHA either!
The stallion can go back and get approved after the fact, it just costs a little more. KSGAL - if you want to have the foal registered with APHA, ask the stallion owner about it. Even if you have to pay for it, it may be worth it. Then you'll have a registered horse at least.

Quote:
Our buckskin stallion is AQHA and APHA - and he is bred to a breeding stock APHA bay mare that will probably produce an APHA solid buckskin (mare's sire and dam were buckskins - so good chance) -
Sorry, just had to correct something about your genetics statement - it doesn't matter how much "color" the mare has in her background. She's only a bay and therefore will never herself throw a dilute baby. The only way she'll give you a buckskin foal is with the creme gene from the sire, so you're still at a 50% chance.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:30 AM  
Bombproof Member

From what I can gather, APHA is having shows for the solid horses.
With the breeding you should not have any problems selling him if you choose to.

As Jslow stated, there are a lot of people out there that like the solid horses. They go by conformation, pedigree and disposition, not just color.

As stated by Squeekers, Unless both Sire and Dam are registered with AQHA, the resulting foal with paint color can be registered with AQHA as a crop out. The foal cannot be if it has one paint parent.

You have a Paint foal due to having a one paint parent. Does not matter if it is 3/4 QH, it still has one paint parent.

The foal can still be registered with APHA if the Sire is listed with APHA as a breeding stallion. If not, then the foal cannot be registered with APHA, until the fee's and application is submitted and accepted.

AQHA only recognizes AQHA, except for the crop outs which are QH, but with paint color.

Paints are a color with different breeds mixed in.
As from what I was told, the Registry was started because they were not recognized with other registeries.

I dont see the foal being a solid matters. I have a solid APHA mare and wouldnt trade, give or sell for anything.

As for the snotty people in your area, dont let that bother you either.
I get that with my mustangs. To me its just ingnorance and small minded people who cant open up that there are other breeds out there just as good as what their high dollar horses are.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:33 PM  
Pasture Pet

gbarmranch wrote:
Our buckskin stallion is AQHA and APHA - and he is bred to a breeding stock APHA bay mare that will probably produce an APHA solid buckskin (mare's sire and dam were buckskins - so good chance) -

JSlow wrote:
Sorry, just had to correct something about your genetics statement - it doesn't matter how much "color" the mare has in her background. She's only a bay and therefore will never herself throw a dilute baby. The only way she'll give you a buckskin foal is with the creme gene from the sire, so you're still at a 50% chance.

We are pretty sure he carrys the dilute - but the pedigree and build will be fantastic - and that is the most important part!!! And it is our undersatnding that with all of the APHA changes, a breeding stock can show in many more classes, plus we show ARHA with our paints!! The parents of the bay paint mare had a buckskin, a prelino, and then her - sire and dam were the same each time!!! And yet, confirmation wise, I believe she is the best! (I love her no matter what!!! )

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 PM  
ron
Started

Quote:
We are pretty sure he carrys the dilute
no she does not....not a bit of doubt about it

she is bay

if she had creme dilute gene.....she would be buckskin

breeding her to buckskin gives you 50/50 chance
of bay or buckskin
very small chance of red or palomino
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:46 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Quote:

she is bay

of bay or buckskin
Okay, our stallion that she is bred to is a buckskin - and was a buttermilk until his year - if he carries the dilute, and she doesn't, what colors are we looking at??? How did Palomino get in there??? (Everytime I think I understand this color thing, you guys go and confuse me some more!!! Of ocurse, confusing me is not all that difficult )

Old 06-06-2006, 02:47 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Quote:

she is bay

of bay or buckskin
Absolutely what Ron and JSlow said - no way does that bay mare carry the dilute gene - sorry!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:51 PM  
Pasture Pet

Oh well, we have enough buckskins and line back duns anyways - we need a little variety!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 07:11 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Being a solid paint is not the end of the world. There are quite a few people out there that show their solids heavily. Me included. They can be shown in futurities right along with the spotted ones. (If they are entered into them) And APHA is adding more and more solid classes. Some state clubs like the one in New Jersey has been doing it for years.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics