Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2006, 06:01 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jkpisani
Can a gelding breed to a mare?

I feel stupid for asking this but, our new pony gelding is out there right now mounting my daughter's pony mare. He seems to be "doing the deed" all the way. What is the deal?

Shouldn't he NOT be able to do this? Why is he wanting to? What is going on? And, most importantly, she can't take or anything, can she?

As I said, I feel stupid for even asking but, I thought i knew all of these answers and I thought I knew that a gelding won't mount a mare but, I was obviously wrong.

They are out there "doing it" over and over again. I am at a loss.

Life without horses would be like.....well, like life without horses!
jkpisani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:11 PM  
Pasture Pet

No he cannot impregnate her but they need to be split up-he can cause her to have an infection or tear her.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:18 PM  
Bombproof Member

Only if he was gelded in the last few weeks.
Sperm is still present.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:38 PM  
Started

Many geldings can hold an erection and penetrate a mare--especially if they were gelded late after already knowing what the plumbing was for. However, as said above, unless he was just recently gelded, he cannot impregnate, but he can injure the mare.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:55 PM  
Yearling Member

Depends on when you had him gelded.
My vets have always stated, after gelding, keep them away from the mares for at least 6 weeks. They are still able to reproduce, up until then.
A proud cut gelding will also always think he a stud, he cant reproduce, but he still can do all the motions. Good Luck
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:07 PM  
Kid Safe

All my geldings "slap their belllies", but the only one that mounts any mares is my Arab/Appaloosa that I used as a stud for several years before gelding. He just can't forget the "good old days".
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:43 PM  
Weanling Member

Well, thank everybody for all of the info.

He was not just gelded. As a matter of fact, he's a 10 year old and the guy we bought him from had him for the last 6 and he was a gelding when he bought him. He can't be used to mounting mares because he was the only pony in the field and he could never have reachedthe big girls that were in there. At first I was wondering if maybe he had a testicle that hadn't dropped or something. I was really worried because I know that can be bad, plus he'd still be fertile, I guess.

I hate that I have to seperate them. We just spent hundreds of dollars fencing this paddock in for them right by the house so the kids can go and get them as they like. They are the only two in there. All of the other big horses are across the street and they can't go by themselves. Darnit!

Oh well. The mare was being really mean to this poor gelding. At least now that she knows him biblically, she is being a lot nicer.

Well, thanks again folks.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:53 PM  
Bombproof Member

He could of been bred before he was gelded and the guy you got him from bought him.

Ponies, as well as jacks have their way to breed big horses.
I have seen it done. Hilarious.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:26 PM  
Coming two

Don't feel dumb for asking the question. Theres always people who will read the thread and find out information on this .

Appaloosa--brains, looks, and temperment all in one
appygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 PM  
Kid Safe

You may not have to separate them all the time, if at all. The current sex craze is likely because he hasn't had the oportunity - he's making up for lost time. Your mare probably feels about the same, and is likely in heat. Keep and eye on them, and keep him clean (to prevent infection, geldings are notoriously dirty there) and they will most likely eventually calm down. In a short time, she will get tired of it, and that will be the end of it for the most part. If the level of activity doesn't slow down or mostly stop, then you probably need to separate them.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:49 PM  
Weanling Member

Thanks, taelesean!

At least there's some hope. I would really love to keep the two of them together.

I'll watch them and see if they get tired.

By the way, you should have seen the kids' faces. We have never had a stallion so, they got quite an education today watching their sweet little ponies. hee hee

Old 04-13-2006, 11:52 PM  
Pasture Pet

Sorry-at least for now I would split them up. I really would
You can always put them back together and see what happens..but for now-just have to disagree with him.
Sorry
Old 04-14-2006, 12:55 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to mellowdane
Haha.. ok sorry.. had to laugh. I can imagine that the kids did learn a few things that weren't on the lesson plan. Typically speaking, unless a mare is in heat she isnt going to tolerate being mounted. But you do have those mares around that just love the attention. Probably best to not let them continue to breed randomly on their own, but he problem will most likely take care of itself within a couple weeks. Good luck.

Has is occurred to you that there's a certain inefficiency in questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about? - Spock
mellowdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:02 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KJUN
I have to say a pony can reach a big mare.. A few years back we had a john buck pony mule for a pack horse we used in the mountains and we could also ride him He was great for the smaller kids but he was like this and he would mount our appy mare all the time so we did indeed separate them until they were separated for good lol someone stole the mule andyway good luck and sorry for your trouble but they should settle down eventually and if not do separate them
Old 04-14-2006, 06:05 AM  
Kid Safe

Those little ponies just think big...

Where there is a will there is a way. I have a stud pen 6 1/2 feet high made of welded oilfield pipe. One day a couple of years ago, I walked out back and the mare in my avatar was backed up against the pen and my Arab/Appaloosa stud, who is only 14.3, had his front legs over the top of the pen and they were just going to town. The foal was very nice...

Moral of the story? Don't build a stud pen that is accessible from the pasture. Duh!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 AM  
Yearling Member

Unless he was recently gelded as previously mentioned, your daughter's mare should be fine. Gelding a horse takes away the ability to breed, and only lessens the urges.

I've always taught my students that there is only one genuine stupid question. Yours isn't it! By all means, keep asking! It's how we all learn.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:04 AM  
TDH
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman
Those little ponies just think big...

Where there is a will there is a way. I have a stud pen 6 1/2 feet high made of welded oilfield pipe. One day a couple of years ago, I walked out back and the mare in my avatar was backed up against the pen and my Arab/Appaloosa stud, who is only 14.3, had his front legs over the top of the pen and they were just going to town. The foal was very nice...

Moral of the story? Don't build a stud pen that is accessible from the pasture. Duh!
Reminds me of my riding mare, quite the lil' hussy when she was in the mood, she'd even back up to the fence if there was a gelding in the next pen. Guess when nature calls, they gotta answer!
Old 04-14-2006, 08:17 AM  
Halter broke

I have three boys (11, 10 and 8) plus a 16 month old daughter. I find that breeding horses instills the obvious (no birds and bees conversations for me- they know LOL)
Besides I will share one very FUNNY moment with you. A man and his young daughter (4ish) came over to ride (we had a riding stable at teh time) and we were breeding a mare. His daughter asked what they were doing. The man IMMEDIATELY replied that the one was out of gas and the other was filling it up so they could go riding.
I never laughed so hard in my life.
debymcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:00 AM  
Weanling Member

Sounds like sexy gelding syndrome!
Why do alot of geldings "slap their bellies"?
rodeobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:02 AM  
Kid Safe

Because they can...

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics