Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2005, 09:16 AM  
Started

Grey mare to a Palomino stallion?

All I know is our palomino stallion's mother is a buckskin is sire is a chestnut! The mare we are looking into buying is a grey, we were curious what types of color possibilities may be possible! A friend told us not to breed him to our buttermilk buckskin because we would end up with a ugly washed out color! So any advice would be great. I will try to find out what color the mares sire and dam are if it helps!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 AM  
ron
Started

it will depend on the color of the mare....before turning gray.

that will determine base color possibilities.

Other than that, foals will have 50% chance of turning gray.

Unless you are wanting gray, I would not breed a gray mare if foal will be sold. Buyers tend to get a little testy when that beautiful buckskin or palomino foal starts turning gray in a few years.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:38 AM  
Started

It would be great if we got a grey! But at the same time we wouldnt really care either way we were just curious as to what possibilities we may have of producing.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:47 AM  
Bombproof Member

Like Ron said, without knowing what color the mare was before she greyed, it is hard to predict what you will get.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:16 AM  
Started

More info if it helps! Her sire was grey, her dam was sorrel. Her her sires parents were a chestnut and a grey. Her dams parents were both sorrel!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:23 AM  
Weanling Member

Well, I have a gray mare that is a red based gray that was bred to a palomino stallion (chestnut and sorrel in background) three times. The first time we got a palomino, the second we got a bay, and the third we got a gray. I am posting pictures of the mare and the palomino and gray that we got out of the cross. As was previously stated you have a good chance of getting a gray but in my experience if they are going to go gray you will see it once they start shedding for the first time. Zane is four and hasn't gone gray and buddy (the bay) is two and hasn't gone gray.

Here is Gray

Here is Zane

Here is Howdy

Hope this helps show the possibilities

Heather

She had three lilies in her hand and the stars in her hair numbered seven...Dante
drgnm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:29 AM  
Started

drgnm5, Thanks, I was just trying to make sure we would not end up with some strange unidenifiable color if that makes sense. I just don't wanna buy a mare that I am gonna have to pay a stud fee on, when I have a stud!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:51 AM  
ron
Started

mestep, according to your mare's sire and dam, she is red based before turning gray.

so pretty much all you have a chance of with palomino stud is red and palomino.

Each having a 50% chance of turning gray.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:39 PM  
Kid Safe

I'm not too certain on ALL the parentage being red based. There is a lone grey line flowing back on the sire's side. If everyone of those greys were a bay at birth, then she technically could have been a bay at birth, herself (or black, or any color, really...)

Overall though, the answer is:
The color produced would be indentifiable. Odds are that it would be a red based foal like Ron stated. But, if buckskin popped out, I wouldn't be too shocked.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:50 PM  
ron
Started

you are right mutduck...only 75% of her grandparents were red. the one grandparent that was not was grey.

50% of her parents were red and the one that was not grey.

Yes , theoretically she could be any color.

If I was a bettin' man, I would put money on red.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:12 AM  
Halter broke

Grey+palomino=this

Well, here's what we got out of a grey mare and a palomino stallion....

A mix between the two colors. I think eventually she'll be all grey though.
(Don't mind how crappy my scanner is)

Old 10-13-2005, 02:28 PM  
Halter broke

Mestep, I agree with the others ~ to calculate colors we'd really need to know exactly what that mare was before she turned gray. But we know she's heterozygous for gray since she has one non-gray parent, so one thing you can know for sure is that it'll be a 50% chance every time of the foal graying out eventually, no matter what color they're born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnm5
Well, I have a gray mare that is a red based gray that was bred to a palomino stallion (chestnut and sorrel in background) three times. The first time we got a palomino, the second we got a bay, and the third we got a gray.
Drgnm, are you SURE that second was a bay? If so, then her dam must be black based. From looking at her picture, she does look like a sorrel who turned gray, but those black patches between the gray spots on her legs might mean she was actually a bay, a black based horse.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics