Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2005, 10:49 AM  
Bombproof Member

Age to separate colts from mares?

A friend is considering buying a yearling colt. She has three mares (one bred, two unbred) and a filly foal she plans to keep him with this year. At what point should they be separated?

Also, they are planning to use this colt for breeding. What age is considered mature enough to start breeding a stallion, or does it depend on their mental maturity more than physical age?

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:25 AM  
Pasture Pet

Some colts can breed mares in their yearling year! I don't think it is a good idea to plan to breed them until they are older though; 3 - 5 is normal around here; most people wait until the horse is started under saddle and has established manners on the ground and under saddle before using them for breeding.

I would not keep an ungelded yearling with fillies or mares. I usually seperate them at weaning, until they are gelded, as I find the ungelded colts will still try practicing mounting the fillies and they can get hurt by the annoyed mares, and they could hurt the fillies.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:50 PM  
Pasture Pet

That yearling colt can sire babies as of about 4 mos ago[in some cases] and keeping them together is not a good idea.
You may suggest she does some studying up on stallions and breeding. If she does not have the knowledge base to know even the basics she may not have a good result with having a breeding stallion.
No offense meant-but I have seen some horrendous things happen with novice stallion owners.
There is an excellant book entitled Stallions-author's name escapes me at this moment-recommend that book highly
Old 06-15-2005, 02:04 PM  
Bombproof Member

Toveromom and EquineAlberta-

Okay, so I am not the total idiot like she made me out to be when I told her almost exactly what you both just said. That's a relief; I was starting to think everything I thought I knew was wrong. Believe me, no offense taken on my part!

They have owned horses for four months now with absolutely no previous experience and think owning a stallion is a fine idea. I could go on and on about this whole ordeal with these people but no one has the time or patience (or probably interest for that matter ) to read it all, believe me.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Old 06-15-2005, 02:50 PM  
Pasture Pet

Oh lordy...
That is a skeery thought
Old 06-15-2005, 05:32 PM  
Greenbroke Member

And people wonder how stallions get a bad name? It's starts with people who know nothing getting one, not knowing how to handle them, then the poor (abused horse, imo) hurts somebody, then gets blamed! Hopefully they decide against this.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:37 PM  
Pasture Pet

True,mostly-but some stallions are hard to handle even at the best of times
Not for the novice
Old 06-16-2005, 08:39 AM  
Bombproof Member

Oh guys, you're gonna love this.

They bought him last night. He's never been trailered before so it took them 3 hours to load him. Brought him home, put him in a separate pen with 4' fence which he proceeded to jump so he could be with the mares. Hmmmm.

She told me it's okay to keep him with her mares since the lady she bought him from kept him with her mares and he was "fine". Okay, so if she jumped off a bridge, it would be okay for you to do it too. I see. It's not like they've been keeping 24 hour suveillance to make sure he's not mounting them!

*shaking head*

I'm expecting a couple of babies next summer, whether they are or not.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:35 PM  
Yearling Member

My equine reproduction class I took said always seperate colts and fillies at 8 months of age. That is to be on the safe side.
farmgirl140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:09 PM  
Started

Orchid:

I am starting to believe that we have the same neighbors

I sure can relate, my advice, DO NOT get to involved. Unless there is threat of physical injury to the HORSE leave it alone. Besides it does make for good entertainment...

Remember my @#$%^&** posts

Karen

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics