Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 AM  
Coming two

Tipped pelvis/vulva

Does anyone know anything about tipped pelvis or tipped vulva in mares, and how it can affect their reproductive ability? Stella has had a couple of babies in the past but quite obviously has a tipped pelvis, and I was wondering if it would still be possible to breed her??

Thanks!
Lily
Old 04-06-2005, 05:01 AM  
Kid Safe

Sorry, Tiggypoodle...No experience with either.
But, I've heard that with the vulva that (I guess) 'protudes' more at the bottom than the top, that they might be more prone to vaginal infections.

I'd find out a Reproductive Veterinarian's opinion.
Did she have the babies when she was already tipped, or was tipping after? Is the tipping hereditary? Don't want to pass it on... How do the prior babies appear?

I hope it works out for you... Hearing about all these babies has made me want to 'boyfriend shop' for Emma!!! (I do not NEED a PREGNANT horse, I do not NEED a PREGNANT horse! )
Old 04-06-2005, 06:18 AM  
Kid Safe

Tiggy, I found this for you, I'm not sure if this is what you meant by tipped pelvis/vulva, but apparently these type of mares are bred often enough to have info about it... and a surgery to possibly help!

http://www.reproductiverevolutions.com/id3.html
Quote:
Q: I have been told my mare has a tipped cervix and needs to have a Caslick suture. What is a tipped cervix and why does she need this suture procedure to correct it?

A:
It is actually not your mare's cervix that is tipped. Tipped generally refers to the angle of the perineum (the area from anus to bottom of the vulva). In a normal mare the vulva sits directly below the anus. Two thirds of the vulvar opening should be below the rim of the pelvis and one third above. In mares with poor vulvar (perineal) conformation the anus will 'tip' forward towards the mare's head. The result of this is that when the mare defecates, feces will fall directly onto the vulvar lips rather than directly onto the ground. Fecal juices and bacteria can track up the vagina and through the cervix resulting in infection of the uterus (endometritis) or infection of the pregnancy (ascending placentitis). In a pregnant mare, as the fetus grows and enlarges the uterus will pull forward draggint the anus with it making this conformational defect even worse.
In order to correct this problem, we perform a minor surgical procedure called a Caslick suture. We basically numb the vulvar lips, cut a tiny strip of tissue from the edge of the opening and then sew the cut edges together. When this heals, the vulvar opening has basically been dramatically lowered, so that now when the mare defecates it hits the new closed tissue rather than the vulvar opening. This is a simple way to prevent pregnancy loss.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:01 AM  
Bombproof Member

Muttduck nailed it. Now keep in mind I am not a breeder, but I read a lot - this is me: Too bad there's not a nerd emoticon, that would be me too.

They take the Caslick's out a couple of weeks before she is due to foal. It is supposed to work quite well!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Old 04-06-2005, 08:51 AM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
There is an article about Caslicks and how to tell if your mare would need one, etc. Its in the Quarter Horse Journal, I believe the most recent one. I just read it the other day lol.

I would do some more research on it though and see how it affects your mare and her offspring. How many foals has she had already? How do they look? If you can find out, that might help with your decision making.

Good luck!!
Brittany
Old 04-07-2005, 05:01 PM  
Coming two

Thanks guys, that's very helpful!!!

Lily

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics