Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:36 AM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Foaling Timeline??

Anyone have any idea about how long it usually takes for a mare's milk to go from being clear and watery to the cream colored colustrum?? I was told about 4-7days. What do you guys think? My paint mare is producing the clear watery milk now. I was just wondering how much longer I would have to wait. Though I know we all cant be for sure. She's been bagging up for the past three weeks. And has been a bit full for about a week, but I couldnt ever get anything to come out until a couple days ago, which was the clear watery fluid. Ive noticed more bowel movements in the last couple of days too. They are more frequent, but loose and small amounts. No other changes though. And I havent had any False labors lately either. She looks a little more 'dropped' but not a whole lot of difference. She isnt acting strangely either. Just her normal self.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:54 AM  
Started

Hi Thorarb,

Waiting sucks, doesn't it
The 4-7 day timeline is about right.. I've had a couple broodmares go from the clear milk to foaling in about 3 days also... Is this her first?
Just like with people, they go go overdue sometimes too....
Keep checking her milk, there is also a kit you can buy - Foal predictor
You add a little milk to the test tube and it gives you a pretty good idea when she'll foal, but just like with anything else, there's room for error...... She'll start to carry her tail higher and her tail will be VERY flexible about 24 hours before she foals...
Good Luck

Karen

P.S. take deep breaths and calm down

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Old 03-15-2005, 09:01 AM  
Kid Safe

my mare is a maiden so its her first. Its a little hard to tell with her because its her first. The other mares Ive bred were already experience broodmares lol. Plus Ive been worrying myself. Im going paranoid.

I cant wait to see what the foal looks like. Im hoping for a beautiful Buckskin Tobiano filly with blue eyes like her momma. But any healthy foal will do. I milked her a little Sunday morning and again last night. There was a bit of texture change now that I think about it. The fluid was a little thicker and stickier last night. I havent checked for today. I'll do that at feeding time tonight.

All us gals that have mares expecting ought to throw a party for going through all this mess haha.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:11 AM  
Kid Safe

Well I couldnt help myself but go check on her again today. I milked her a little, and got instead of clear, it is white. Not extremely white, more like watered down milk. And its definitely much stickier that before. So maybe a foal tonight or tomorrow?? I hope so. Then I could finally rest at night.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 AM  
Kid Safe

Sounds like it's getting close, better start shopping for those bubble gum cigars!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:20 AM  
Started

It sure does sound like she's close
Jeez, you guys have all got me remembering what it was like to have babies around I really miss it
Maybe I'll just have to look for a broodmare as a companion for my TB ?

Keep us all posted on her "condition" and by the way you won't get anymore sleep after the foal is here than before... Your worried that your paranoid now just wait................

Karen

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Old 03-15-2005, 12:13 PM  
Kid Safe

Now after this foal Im facing the question of whether or not I would like to breed her again this year.... One side is saying, sure, why not?? Yeck I love babies! Then the other side is saying, But what about getting her career as a show horse on the move? Such tough decisions!

If I do decide to breed I have selected two stallions so far that would compliment my mares weaker spots and give me a 'better' foal. Im interested in getting a better Halter baby next time around. This foal is more for performance than anything else.

#1: Skips Sparkle Man Jr (son of the stallion I bred my mare to this time!) Jr as he is affectionately called is more of a Halter type guy, but could go performance too. He is Impressive/SKipper W lined while my mare is Mr. Impressive and Skipper W way back. He is 15.2h, 4yrs old. This is his first year standing at stud.

#2: "Flit" is a 15.3h, 3yr old Chestnut Overo. He is very halter type too, and has a wonderful extended trot. (something my mare needs work with lol). He has Bonanza, Conclusive lines I believe. Have to double check. This is also his first year standing as well.

Both stallions are very close to me, Jr lives about 10minutes from here and Flit is just up the street lol. Both the stud fees are $500. Should I be concerned about Lethal White Foals with the Overo stud?? My mare is cremello Tobiano (her sire is Palomino Overo, Dam Palomino Tobiano)

Im also thinking of getting a TB mare. She is 16.3h dark bay no white markings. She is registered. Her only problem is she isnt sound for riding. Which doesnt bother me at all. She is sound for breeding though. The bonus to it is she is free. I havent met her yet to find out exactly whats wrong with her. But I plan on going to have a look at her soon. What do you guys think? So far she seems ok... and I'll be having second and third opinions when I go see her lol. Im taking my trainer and farrier. The owner said something about her hoof.. all I know is she needs front shoes on all the time. The reason Im bringing my farrier lol so he can give me details on the issues with her hooves. My trainer has been working with horses for over 20yrs so he'll be there to help me out too. If I were to get her I planned on having her bred to my Appaloosa colt when he is ready. Yay! That will be a nice performance baby delux! Ive also heard that TBs are more prone to having problems while foaling??
Old 03-15-2005, 12:32 PM  
Pasture Pet

TB mares can be more likely to get twins so you have to ultrasound them in case one needs to be pinched. As well, you can't expect a narrow hipped mare to pass a wide shouldered baby, particularly her maiden year, so be carefull about that too.

See if her unsoundness is in anyway genetic, no point breeding a horse with weak hooves for example, if she is going to throw babies with weak hooves!

Why don't you try working your mare a year and give her a show record? It will give her babies more value if you do go back to breeding her. As for the boys though, I'd go with Flit so you can see what those genetics give you, then you can compare baby one with baby 2, and see which lines seem to compliment her better!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:58 PM  
Bombproof Member

For the lethal white question, check this out:

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/service/h...color.html#lwo

Good luck with whatever you decide! Can't wait to hear all about your baby! If I lived closer I'd watch her for you, I'm up half the night with my four month old human baby anyway!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics