Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 PM  
Yearling Member

Color Genetics Question?

I have been doing a lot of reading on this and think I have it figured out Either way colour genetics is proving to be a very interesting and confusing read...lol

Going to ask these questions anyway to make sure I have a clear understanding of what I am reading.

First a little history.....Mare is a PaintxTB and is Homozygous for both Tobiano and Overo and has tested positive for OWLS. I have not seen this mare in person yet, but from pictures her colored markings appear to be more "Blue Roan" than Black. Her registered name is Bar J Royette Jet.

If this Mare is bred to a Heterozygous Bay Pinto (Tobiano) WB Stallion, is there any risk of foal having the LWO?

Is there a possibility that the resulting foal from this pairing of Mare and Stallion will be Homozygous? If so, does anyone know how to to determine the % chance of being homozygous?

Currently this Stallion is producing 79% colored foals when bred to a Bay or Chestnut mare with minimal White. Given that the Mare is homozygous for both (Tovero) will the resulting foal be mostly "white"?
Susycue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 AM  
Newborn Member

If the stallion is positive for OLWS then yes there is a 25% chance. You NEED to make 110% sure that any stud you breed her to is OLWS negative.

There are no guarantees or predictions when it comes to color expression. It's a total crapshoot.
TNHorseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:04 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susycue View Post
I have been doing a lot of reading on this and think I have it figured out Either way colour genetics is proving to be a very interesting and confusing read...lol

Going to ask these questions anyway to make sure I have a clear understanding of what I am reading.

First a little history.....Mare is a PaintxTB and is Homozygous for both Tobiano and Overo and has tested positive for OWLS. I have not seen this mare in person yet, but from pictures her colored markings appear to be more "Blue Roan" than Black. Her registered name is Bar J Royette Jet.

If this Mare is bred to a Heterozygous Bay Pinto (Tobiano) WB Stallion, is there any risk of foal having the LWO?

Is there a possibility that the resulting foal from this pairing of Mare and Stallion will be Homozygous? If so, does anyone know how to to determine the % chance of being homozygous?

Currently this Stallion is producing 79% colored foals when bred to a Bay or Chestnut mare with minimal White. Given that the Mare is homozygous for both (Tovero) will the resulting foal be mostly "white"?
If the mare is a TB/paint cross she is not homozygous .She is a tovero & would be heterozgous for tobiano & for frame.A homozygous frame=lethal white dead foal& Homozygous tobiano needs both parents to be tobiano & she is TB cross so she is not homo.
Now if Bred to heterozygous WB you have a 25% chance of a Homozygous tobiano foal ,50% hetero tobiano & 25% solid.Since mare is a OLWS positive,Be sure to know the stallions OLWS status prior to breeding! make sure he is negative or risk having a Lethal white foal.

Last edited by paintedpastures : 02-23-2013 at 01:11 AM.
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 AM  
Yearling Member

Thanks for the info. I have been told that this mare was tested and is Double homozygous for both tobiano and overo.

I understand what you are saying about her having TB in her so now I am even more lol

All of her breedings to a Bay or Chestnut WB stallion have produced a Tovero?? Only her Grand-Dam and Great Grand-Dam were TB. Does that still mean she can not be double homozygous??

Back to the books I go and more reading...lol
Susycue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 AM  
Started

It means that she has to have two copies of each gene and there is no way she could have gotten one from the TB parent, as TB's don't carry those genes (come in those patterns)

“Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.”
St Francis
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 AM  
Started

ok so, with it that far back yes she could be homozygous if her Dam and Sire were carriers

“Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.”
St Francis
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susycue View Post
Thanks for the info. I have been told that this mare was tested and is Double homozygous for both tobiano and overo.

I understand what you are saying about her having TB in her so now I am even more lol

All of her breedings to a Bay or Chestnut WB stallion have produced a Tovero?? Only her Grand-Dam and Great Grand-Dam were TB. Does that still mean she can not be double homozygous??

Back to the books I go and more reading...lol

Ok so actual sire or dam were not the TB,the TB is not that close up.That changes things, so yes she could be Homozygous Tobiano. If she is double homozygous for anything, then besides tobiano it is probably black. The frame overo gene is lethal in it homozygous form so not homozygous but has 50% chance she is passing that along

Last edited by paintedpastures : 02-23-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezwing View Post
It means that she has to have two copies of each gene and there is no way she could have gotten one from the TB parent, as TB's don't carry those genes (come in those patterns)
I thought TBs could come in Sabino and Tobiano? I know it's rare, but I know I've seen a few on Blazing Colours Farm's broodmare page and True Colour Farm's broody Nightlight? (I will forever be in love with that mare)

I'm just asking because colour genetics always seem to get the best of me as well.
In_Between2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Between2 View Post
I thought TBs could come in Sabino and Tobiano? I know it's rare, but I know I've seen a few on Blazing Colours Farm's broodmare page and True Colour Farm's broody Nightlight? (I will forever be in love with that mare)

I'm just asking because colour genetics always seem to get the best of me as well.
pure Tb's don't carry tobiano pattern but you may see the overo genes like frame & sabino. That mare at TCF is sabino. You see it more strongly expressed coming from the puchilingui line like she is.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics