Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM  
Yearling Member

AQHA/APHA registry

I know that this is a really silly question and in one reply, someone will answer my question, but I can't find it on the AQHA website (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or in the right spot).

Anyway, I am breeding Ellie to SBR Formula One, who is registered AQHA. Ellie is registered APHA. I know that in order to be registered APHA, the foal will have to have a certain amount of white. But can it be registered AQHA? And if it doesn't have enough white, can it be registered Breeding Stock Paint?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 PM  
Greenbroke Member

no, your mare would have to be double registered apha and aqha in order for the foal to be registered aqha. if the foal doesn't have enough white it will be registered as a solid bred paint (apha)....it if has enough white, it may qualify for regular apha papers
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM  
Yearling Member

Thanks!

And my mare can't be registered in AQHA...correct? I don't know if her parents were registered AQHA, but I am fairly positive that they were just APHA.

Forgive my stupidity. It is my first time ever having registered horses so I am trying to figure all this "stuff" out. Not to mention, I will admit, that in my eyes paints are just colorful quarter horses. Sorry if I offend anyone with that, I know my boss gets a little offended with it!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM  
Greenbroke Member

lol no worries....my registered apha mare has a bunch of quarter horses on her papers....i always call her a quarter horse with spots

your mare could only be registered AQHA if HER parents each had a set of aqha papers
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait View Post
Thanks!

And my mare can't be registered in AQHA...correct? I don't know if her parents were registered AQHA, but I am fairly positive that they were just APHA.

Forgive my stupidity. It is my first time ever having registered horses so I am trying to figure all this "stuff" out. Not to mention, I will admit, that in my eyes paints are just colorful quarter horses. Sorry if I offend anyone with that, I know my boss gets a little offended with it!
Actually, your last statement isn't so far off the mark!
Many registered ApHA horse , in the past, were AQHA horses that exceeded the white rule, and were called 'crop outs", and could not get AQHA papers
Then AQHA, after genetic testing was available, relaxed the white rule, stating if a horse had two AQHA parents, then that offspring was an AQHA, regardless of the amount of white or coat pattern (thus, there even is an AQHA reiner, with Appaloosa coat pattern )
I don't know how long the rule was grand fathered, but horses that before were deigned AQHA papers now could get them, if they had two AQHA parents. Gunsmoke, something or other, once he was very famous as a working cowhorse/reiner, was sought to be part of the AQHA registry, previously denigned to him
Many AQHA people then started to purposely breed for excessive white, so they could have dual registered horses
ApHA , then, to protect it's own registry, put in the rule that for a registered paint foal, one parent had to be a Paint (correct me if I am wrong, Paint breeder's, as I'm going off of the top of my head only.
So, you(or your friend ), are very right for the most part Cait!
But to get down to the nitty gritty-Except for appendex AQHA horses, the AQHA is a closed registry, so Ellie's foal could not be registered AQHA
The ApHA, like the ApHC, has both TB and AQHA as allowable outcrosses for a Paint registered foal
However, unlike ApHC, ApHA does not allow solid horses to show against colored horses, except in futurities. They are designated breeding stock only
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM  
Coming two

Now to change things up some more/again,APHA just passed a new rule allowing AQHA cropouts again The white requirements are a little tighter than they were for eligibility though.

For the OP your resulting foal will only be eligible for APHA registration,not AQHA.
Depending on how much white your foal gets will determine if it will be SPB or Regular registry.

Last edited by paintedpastures : 11-05-2012 at 08:18 PM.
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:33 AM  
Newborn Member

oh not silly..just like evryone will be have a question!.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 PM  
Yearling Member

Thanks for your help guys!

For future breeding references, was it silly of me to breed an APHA to an AQHA with the risk of no color? I have heard that some people don't really care for breeding stock paints...
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help guys!

For future breeding references, was it silly of me to breed an APHA to an AQHA with the risk of no color? I have heard that some people don't really care for breeding stock paints...
unfortunately, in the paint world, there is always a risk of getting no color. for some reason I thought originally that ellie was a qh....
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymonster View Post
unfortunately, in the paint world, there is always a risk of getting no color. for some reason I thought originally that ellie was a qh....
That is a good point. I suppose there is always a chance of a solid foal!

Nope, she is APHA all the way! I am really hoping for a colored foal with a bald face like momma and 4 high socks, so the foal can be registered APHA and be my "dream color". However, I do realize that the chances of that happening are slim to none Girl can dream though!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:44 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
That is a good point. I suppose there is always a chance of a solid foal!

Nope, she is APHA all the way! I am really hoping for a colored foal with a bald face like momma and 4 high socks, so the foal can be registered APHA and be my "dream color". However, I do realize that the chances of that happening are slim to none Girl can dream though!
sbr has been throwing some flashy foals when crossed on paints so you never know!!!! you'll for sure get a chrome-y face I bet.....I got a star/snip, one back leg short sock, and one front leg with just a smudge of white. the dam was a bay with NO white

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics