Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM  
Newborn Member

Moresian Horses

I do a lot of trail riding and packing as well as some cattle work, mainly out in the country and a little in the arena. We use old style morgans as they are strong heavy boned and have a lot of endurance to keep going when our friends quarter horses and such are played out. We have decided to breed two of our mares to a Friesian to produce a little heavier horse for packing and for holding cows in the pasture. I was wondering if anyone with moriesian experience has any thoughts on how they'll do and if they don't do well how marketable they are. We did choose a smaller (15.2 hand 1400# stallion so the foals aren't too big to run down cattle and so they are still agile in the rough mountains). Any thoughts? Here is a picture of the stallion and one or hopefully both mares if theyll upload...my interenet is really bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strydere.jpg (94.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Gin.jpg (19.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Marge.jpg (59.4 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by horsesnhounds : 11-29-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: photo didn't upload
horsesnhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:30 PM  
Weanling Member

Not sure on the morgan but I have a Friesian Tennessee Walker cross, I Love,Love, Love that horse, I would suspect anything crossed with the Friesian would be marketable, Good luck can't wait for pics of the little ones.
Bigger is Better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:16 PM  
Halter broke

I have noticed that Morgan's are a popular cross with the Friesian not sure about their endurance. I have a Friesian/paint cross that I just trail ride with and he seems to tire pretty quickly. If I work him he sweats a lot and gets out of breath pretty quick. I don't work him that hard either just walk trot online. I'm used to Arabians that can go all day so was shocked when I got him as a second horse at how quickly he gets out of breath but he does have to carry around 400 more lbs than my Arab does . Your horses are very pretty

Last edited by maronhalt : 11-29-2011 at 04:18 PM.
maronhalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:37 PM  
Newborn Member

Thank you. The Morgan is very similar in endurance to the Arabian. Some say its better some say it worse...I think it just depends on the particular horse. I am hoping that the endurance of the Morgan doesn't get lost in the cross.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:54 PM  
Weanling Member

i knew one! he was solid black, looked almost completely fresian. he was a trick horse, i met him while he was in training, and he was VERY smart!
Brezzin_In_My_Hightops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:55 PM  
Coming two

I can't see them being quick enough to work cows, or even holding cows. But would love to have one and be proven wrong!

Your mares look pretty sturdy themselves, how quick are they? I like the first one, should make a nice cross. The second one seems to have a large neck, but it may just be the angle of the picture.

As someone else said, they should sell well, Fresian crosses are in.

https://www.facebook.com/CrownMaxLonghorn

Last edited by Arabx : 11-29-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Arabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM  
Pasture Pet

It is not a cross I would pick for doing long distance riding. There is a good chance you will lose that comfy, going somewhere Morgan trot, and get the more carriage horse rough trot of the Friesian. As previously stated, Friesians are also not that great stamina wise for the most part.

Market wise, the taller friesian crosses seem to have a decent market for dressage riders that can't afford warmbloods, but the smaller ones (around here) just don't seem to have the same marketability unless proven in the show ring. May depend in part on what colour the baby is, and how Friesian it looks.

I do think the Morgan Friesian cross is a nicer riding horse in general than a pure Friesian.
EquineAlberta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM  
Halter broke

http://www.moriesianhorseregistry.com/history.html

Here's the registery for Moriesian's . It say's they excel at dressage. Really is a beautiful cross!

http://www.mountaincreekmoriesians.com/salespage.cfm
A good web site with crosses and prices also has a where are they now page showing what discipline that are in now.

Another web site with prices of Moriesian's for sale
http://www.moriesian.com/horsesforsale.html

Hope it helps.
maronhalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:45 PM  
Yearling Member

i don't know about the cow work.

I can see how a morgan can have the endurance to go all day and the agility to to some "cow work' but a friesian I doubt it.
Then again, our cattle down here are half wild and have a lot of ear {brahma} on them. For roping the cattle we have a couple of stout QH mares. They may not have a lot of endurance but are quick for short distances and stout enough to hold a cow or calf. For the rest we use arabs and ArabX for cutting sorting or rounding up the cattle.
I have seen a Moriesian and it was a beautiful horse. shalom
dbarabians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:00 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Many crosses are touted to do various things they were not specifcally bred for, and some do a credible job, usually at a lower level and not as consistently as those bred for the job in the first place
It's pretty hard to argue with the fact that Arabians pretty much dominate endurance riding. Some Appaloosas occasionally are up there also. Not sure where the Morgans fit in, and pretty sure Friesians are not noted for any endurance riding nor cow work
I do know of outfitters that use a draft crosses for packing
AQHA horses dominate working cowhorse. Some of the large cattle ranches ,like the Bar 6666, have infused some TB back onto cutting horses to get more size on their working ranches
I guess, I would chose a breed to cross to my Morgan that actually excelled in the event I wished to use the horse for, and far as I know, a Fresien is noted neither for trail riding nor working cattle
Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 PM  
Yearling Member

a new 'must have horse"

I think the cross may have some value but it may become the new "it " horse of the moment. a friend of mine just purchased an arab mare that is bred to a friesian.
I think that the foal will have a good chance of becoming a sporthorse or just a park horse something english .
what is good for the show ring may not work well in the real world. shalom
Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 PM  
Long Yearling

As any one who as bred any sort of livestock, it is a crap shoot as to which charcter traits the baby gets from either parent. Could take after the dam the sire, or a combo of both, you just don't know. So unless you really like what the sire can do, I would breed towards that goal and not hope that the cross would get the perfect balence of both parents.
I am courious as to how old your mares are and if they have had foals before. Because breedin older maiden mares is a whole 'nother problem.
Chrystalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 AM  
Newborn Member

The old style Morgan is different than what I think most people think of the Morgan horse. They are a larger horse mostly average 1000-1200 lbs and around 15 hands. They run long on endurance. The Arabian and Akhal-Teke may be a little better on average but not by much. They are extreme mountain bred animals with lots of common sense and very sure footed. They are pretty quick but not as quick as the quarter horse and don't have the top end speed of the quarter horse or thoroughbred. They do have a tendency to be on the stubborn side. They are very well rounded horses that can compete well at almost anything although they are the very top breed at virtually nothing. My mares are used mostly in the mountains although I do take them to team penning and sorting where they do well...we have only won a few times but place often...and the one mare also does well at team roping. The reason why we are looking for a cross is that tying onto a big bull out in the pasture usually requires 2-3 horses to hold him and there is also a type of packing called the tandum pack (see picture) where heavier horses are extremely helpful. In the picture is a belgium cross and a morgan on the pack. We have a cabin in the wilderness area and the only way to get stuff in is pack horses. The belgium cross does well however when it gets really rough country he can be a little bulky and clumsy which is why we are thinking the Friesian cross may be a little less bulky and lighter on their feet. The back horse is the morgan and he is simply a little light for the larger loads.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM  
Newborn Member

Here's that pic (hopefully I'm having trouble uploading it). Yes the one mare has had foals and the other is young. I do understand the crapshoot you're talking about as I've been breeding horses and livestock for some time now. I'm not really looking for something that excels in a particular area...the morgans excel as all around horses which is what we need however we are just wanting to add a little extra size and bone to that, and as our old style morgans are large horses with more bone than any of the common breeds in order to acomplish that it's going to take a draft or light draft like the Friesian.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM  
Newborn Member

Trying to upload pics again of the tandum pack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jess 728 - Copy.JPG (18.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Jess 701 - Copy.JPG (17.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Jess 721 - Copy.JPG (18.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 PM  
Long Yearling

It almost sounds like you need to make a mule
Chrystalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 PM  
Pasture Pet

If you are looking for a pack horse, be sure to check the hocks on the Friesian you chose. They have been bred (historically) to be light carriage horses, and in modern times, lightened to be better riding horses. Nothing in their breeding suggests that they would be good pack horses, and as noted in another thread, the more modern types seem to have joint issues, particularly in the hocks.

The ones I have ridden haven't been the most agile either.

I do think the cross has value, but not for what you are aiming for.

I used to have a boarder who had lovely old style morgans, and got a couple nice babies by breeding to a warmblood. They also have a nice QH cross (mare was in foal when they bought her). Morgans do seem to be like arabians in that they cross out well with many breeds!
EquineAlberta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:19 PM  
Seasoned

As a dressage horse or carriage horse the cross would be nice but as a pack horse and working cattle while they may look pretty I don't think that cross would acel.

For a pack horse I'd stick to more the breeds that are meant for packing and working cattle and doing that sort of thing.
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 PM  
Yearling Member

Get a Draft mule

I don't know what type of cattle you are working but here we raise Santa Gertrudas and they are big. A bull can easily weigh in at 2000 lbs. this is where a good stout QH comes in handy.
A draft mule on the other hand may be what you need to accomplish your different task. Shalom
Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 AM  
Newborn Member

We have had a couple old style larger Quarter Horses that are the Poco Bueno line and the old style Morgans actually hold up to the larger cattle slightly better than they do. They are the stoutest breed I know of excluding draft horses and such. They do better than the Quarter horses or thoroughbreds. We had one mare that was an old style QH crossed with a large Arabian that could holdup to them but thats the only horse I've seen outside our Morgans that can really hang in there. Like I said I'm looking for something to add just a little extra size and bone to out horses and our horses all weigh in around 1000-1200 pounds stand around 15 hands and most wear size 1 shoes all the way around so a Quarter horse or Thoroughbred isn't going to help. If anyone has any other ideas on what might work that would be great. I don't know much about the heavier breeds but I need some extra size without losing the agility if I can help it. I know a mule would probably be a good bet and I know they are AMAZING animals but I'd really prefer to stick with a horse lol...kinda prejudice towards my horses. What about Welsh Cobs, Andalusians...?

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics