Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 11:53 PM  
Weanling Member

DNA testing

I am very interested in finding my mares history only because I would not be surprised if she came some really good bloodlines (plus I've always liked history ). Does anyone know if I were to have her DNA tested if they could tell me who her sire is? What breed she is? What kind of things can DNA testing uncover? Very curious! Anyone ever try it before? And how would I go about getting it done? I know, tons of questions... sorry! Any help or support would be wonderful! Thanks!

"Loving horses isn't just about loving the animal, but loving the commitment that comes with it"
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:37 AM  
Started

If you don't already know her breed, I don't think there is any DNA test you can do to identify breed. I'm not aware of any genetic markers that can pinpoint TB vs QH vs. whatever. If you already know the breed, you might be able to get some information. This winter, 40+ Morgans were re-homed from a breeder who couldn't take care of them anymore. Some of them had unknown parentage (post-puberal colts left in the field with broodmares for example). They were able to pull DNA samples from the horses and figure out who was who from that (and who was the Daddy). I think they also used DNA testing to identify which black mare went with which registration papers. In that case, they were dealing with a closed population of horses, so DNA patterns are relatively easy to sort through. I don't think you could just randomly send out DNA samples to all possible registries (not even sure which ones keep track of DNA) in the hopes of finding parentage. I could be wrong, but this strikes me as a needle in the haystack situation.
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 AM  
Yearling Member

You need to know a possible sire and dam in order to have DNA run. There is no database of horse DNA to run a random sample against.
MiniHorseFosterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Yes, you would need the DNA of both parents, and the possible breed registry(s) they are filed with
You could then order a DNA kit from the registry concerned, so it goes to the correct lab. You pull hair,(usually mane ) making sure to get enough roots

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics