Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 04:11 PM  
Started

Arabian x Jack cross?

Ok this may be totally off the wall and silly, but for some reason I got to wondering what an Arabian crossed with a Jack (mule) foal would look like. Anyone ever tried this cross or know of one? I'm not going to breed for a mule and I have never owned an Arabian, I just happened to see something about arabian and at a quick glance thought I saw something about mule. But no, I guess my eyes and brain were not on the same frequency and it just all mentally blurred together...so it made me wonder what that cross would look like at maturity. Maybe a more refined mule? Kind of something to go hmmm about.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM  
Newborn Member

Mules are sterile and can't breed, sorry!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule#Fertility

The wikipedia should be able to explain it better than I can.
Keille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:50 PM  
Long Yearling

i think she meant breed with a jack as in donkey.. not a mule... but if she did not then yes a mule is sterile and cant breed... something about crossing horses and donkeys and them not being the same or something.. not too sure... i used to know though . and i think it would look somewhat goofy... but in a cute way! i bet it would have a similar build to an arabian.. lol but the nice long ears of the donkey! imagine that! arabians are known for many things and one is their cute little ears... haha
Old 04-10-2011, 06:15 PM  
Yearling Member

I was at a class A arabian show in Asheville, NC, several years ago and what was being ridden all around the grounds but a registered 1/2 arab mule. It was getting lots of attention and causing many double takes. I don't honestly know if it showed while there but the rider was having a ball. Interesting cross, not my cup of tea. Very long ears...

So yes... it's been done. Don't know if it was intentional or not.
eclectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keille View Post
Mules are sterile and can't breed, sorry!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule#Fertility

The wikipedia should be able to explain it better than I can.
Yes, I know mules are sterile. A Jack is a stud donkey - thus produces a mule when bred to a horse (mare). Sorry if I didn't put it real plain in my post. Horses and donkeys have a different number of chromosomes - one has 2 more than the other. I forget the exact numbers for each but the mule ends up with the odd number between the two.

I just pictured a mule refined in conformation and way of going, possibly slightly smaller head, dished face, but big ears! Sounds funny, but might be real pretty too. I was hoping someone would have pictures.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 PM  
Bombproof Member

If a jack breeds a mare the result is a mule. If a stallion breeds a jenny the result is a hinny. Whereas the mule looks a little more like a horse, the hinny looks more like a donkey.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 AM  
Started

I too would like to see this cross...very interesting topic.. I am strongly wondering that myself now!
eventergirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 AM  
Halter broke

Arabian bred mules are certainly out there They make a really nice, refined saddle mule. There are photos of them in my Mule magazines that I get. When you breed a really nice mare to a jack with nice confirmation, the ear will still be large, the head will become a bit more refined. I don't know what the personality comes out as however.

Mules are bred out of QH, warmbloods, Appys, Paso Finos, TWs...you name it!

I will see about scanning one of the photos later today...getting ready to go out in a ride...on my mule
FeelingFroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 AM  
Weanling Member

A friend of mine has a picture on her website of a little Arabian x Jenny foal...cutest little thing! Belongs to a friend of hers...will be interesting to see how he grows up!
Baycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 AM  
Coming two

This talks about them... not really any pictures though. I'll keep looking.

http://www.leroyvandyke.com/index.cfm?include=mules

Here is a picture of a baby..
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_IhYYs3uc5HA/R1...arsupclose.JPG

Last edited by cinnamon_girl10 : 04-11-2011 at 06:57 AM.
cinnamon_girl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 AM  
Coming two

I have 3 mules and one is an Arab cross. She is as cute as a bug - big wide eyes, small muzzle, slightly dished face and big ears that point in at the tips. She has the most attractive conformation of any mule I've seen - wide chest, short backed, hind quarters that are smooth over the top. Many mules look a little roach backed, but not Maggie. Her legs are straight and refined, yet sturdy. Her ribs are very well sprung and she has a large heart girth. She is very well muscled with really nice definition in the summer when shed out.

Her walking gait is extremely smooth with a lilting sort of movement. We call her our "cadillac" ride, as she is so smooth. She is very intellegent and extremely sensitive. She was abused and beaten before I got her and it has taken a long time to win her trust, but she now follows me around sometimes like a puppy dog. She is wary of strangers, especially men.

Her coloration is very unusual as she is brindled. Her base color is a dark seal with the black line down her back and shoulder cross. But then there is a gorgeous mahogony brindling over the dark. Maggie only stands 13.3 - 14.0, but she is as strong as any of the others and can pack and carry full weight with no sign of fatigue or discomfort. I have always thought she would be the ideal endurance animal, being both an Arab and a mule.

Yes, an Arab mule is very cute and attractive. My other mules are Paso Fino (16.0) and Missouri Fox Trotter bred (15.0) and they have characteristics of those breeds. My late appy mule (16.2) was well, an appaloosa with roan coloration and hip blanket. All of them are very pleasing to look at, but the Arab is the prettiest by far.

Sweet Dixie, always a part of my heart
DixieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 AM  
Coming two

Leeroy Van Dyke breeds really nice Arabian mules:
http://www.leroyvandyke.com/index.cfm?include=mules

"What I have to say about the Arabian mule can be summarized in a few paragraphs. Mules from Arabian mares have the distinct advantage of centuries of genetic purity, as well as breeding for performance, style and beauty. The life of the Arab on the desert, in many instances, depended upon the stamina, athletic ability and soundness of his mount.

Our observation of the Arabian mule indicates that they are extremely athletic, quick, agile and sure in all of their movements. They have good hoof and bone quality, and, in general, appear to be better balanced, end to end, than mules from nondescript females.

There's no doubt about the fact that the Arabian mule has more style and grace than the average mule. Most have only slightly smaller ears than normal, but the overall size of the head is somewhat smaller, with no Roman-nosed individuals such as you would find in mules with a non-Arabian background. Most even have a faint indication of the Arabian "dish" face, although not at all pronounced. "

https://www.facebook.com/CrownMaxLonghorn
Arabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_girl10 View Post
ok, this one is ADORABLE!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 PM  
Started

I agree Jazzy. Just what I was wondering - it appears to have the dished face and tiny nose.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 PM  
Weanling Member

cute and agree on arab face..

Honor lies in the mane of a horse
lvpaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 PM  
Coming two

The foal doesn't have the pointed in ear tips, however. I've seen other Arab mules besides mine, and they have all had the ear tips that point in - one of the very cute features of Arab crosses.

Sweet Dixie, always a part of my heart
DixieMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics