Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 03:45 PM  
Newborn Member

Mini mare pregnancy and symptoms?

Hello, I bought a 12 r old mini mare in December of 2009, I was told she was with stallion from 12/3/09 to 12/24/09. I wasn't too worried as it was winter and she didn't seem to stray from heat after that. I saw no changes in her behavior since we have had her. It is October 31st 2010, I noticed she was distancing herself from her favorite horse friends and she wasn't coming up to eat as aggressively as usual, just minor behavioral changes that I contributed to the changes in our herd. After these changes in her, I decided to seperate her into her own stall instead of being out in the pasture, so I could check her out and observe. she doesn't seem to be overweight or fat, but her teats are squishy and giving out quite a bit of thin watery yellowish milk? I "think" I can feel fetal movement but cannot be sure as I think I might be imagining some of it. My question is does anyone know of anything I can do to be sure of pregnancy at this stage instead of a sonogram? Also, she is not very big does this matter? When do you think she will foal if she is preggo?Her bag isn't very large either, just saggy,baggy and squishy . Also, she has been peeing on herself I think as her vulva is always messy. And she seems afraid to be alone.
I don't know any of her history, as she was the first horse we bought and didn't intend to breed her. I know this is a lot of info and questions, I am just kinda lost and alone on this one as so many of my pals are full size horse owners.. aargh! Thank you for ANYY info or advice that you might be able to offer.. THANK YOU
I can't seem to get pictures to load, sorry, I'll keep trying
gamblersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:37 PM  
Coming two

Thumbs up

Well, it's close to her due date. The dripping from her teats is probably pre-milk and is normal as they near foaling. There are waxy plugs over the teats that open when she's near foaling and you will see some discharge. Some mares urinate more due to the pressure of the foal.

Other signs are not wanting company, slowing down on eating, some don't want humans to touch them. First time foalers can be insecure and want you around. So she has most of the signs.

Can you take a picture of her tail head? She will sink down on each side of her tail head when she's ready. Her vulva will also elongate. Many times the underside of her belly will point down rather than round as the foal moves into birthing position. I've found for some reason the foals quiet down right before they're born. So if you don't feel a foal that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Some mares never look preggers. Some mares look huge at 8 mos.

There are some pregancy test strips that are sort of reliable. I've never used them. Short of having a vet check her out you won't really know until the big event.

If you've never foaled a mare before I'd suggest going on one of the horse care websites (equisearch.com or thehorse.com) reading about foaling and what you should have in a foaling kit ready to go. With the weather this time of year you'll need to be extra careful that your baby stays warm.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 PM  
Long Yearling

W*E*L*C*O*M*E

Two things to know about minis is....

They tend to foal sooner than the big mares....many say 320 days is normal for minis, but they can foal "early" so you may have a foal soon.

Also minis can have issues with birthing....not just the issue of cold weather for this time of year but there are things like the redbag births, foals getting stuck....

You need to prepare...especially not knowing the history....there are sites that deal with just minis....search for a mini breeder in your area that can be on call to help as many breeders know the issues well and are willing to be sure you have a safe birth.... most importantly figure out the pics as we would love to see the baby when it comes even pic pf mama mare if no baby comes.....we love pics

You are not alone...there are great horse people here to help you through this - Birth is scary and exciting...odds are an older mini mare has foaled before, and most critters figure it out on their own but day or night we are here for you.....

Put your vet on speed dial, put on coffee and get the nursery ready just in case.......If you can get a camera to watch the stall is great....Is this your first foaling? Does your vet have mini foal experience? See I can ask lots of questions too

Hope some of that helps....Let us know what comes

Did you check out the mini section on this forum? Some of the "mini" posters have lots of experience...PM some of them for more help...I sold all our minis a few years ago, but you can PM me too.....We are here to help!

Last edited by Peter-John's Love : 10-31-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Peter-John's Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM  
Newborn Member

pictures of mini mare possibly preggo

Thank you for replying! what a wonderful thing to be able to talk about these situations, my poor husband is going crazy with my chattering
I have her all set up with a foaling stall, foaling kit and two camera views on her at all times. I am concerned that she might not be preggo, because the dates I was told put her very close, but I'm not seeing any of the symptoms described on the websites. Softening of the croup, big belly, dropped belly etc.
Just movement and milk.. Anyhow, I'll post in the mini forum also, I just wanted to say thank you for the replies and the wonderful resources !! I created a photobucket account and pasted the link beloe, hopefully that will work as far as photos?? thanks

"http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...r-2008/Sophie/"

Last edited by gamblersgirl : 11-01-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM  
Pasture Pet

Hi there, well sophia does look in foal according to her teats she will foal soon.
if you milk her what color is the fluid? it will go from clear to yellow to sticky than milk, that is when to really watch.
just have her in a stall with straw, or hay, and keep your foaling kit handy. towels, and iodine for the umbilical cord.
and try to get her to exercise. it will be good for both of you .
if you see the little feet should be fronts than all is ok, with the nose tucked inbetween the legs, just leave her alone, do not disturb her, if you see one foot and a nose or just the nose. get her up and walking and call vet or someone who can help asap. or you can reposition the foal yourself, but if you have no experience than let someone else do it.
everything should be ok, and please let mom and baby be alone with no interference from you or hubby or kids, let the baby stand and nurse on it's own. horses have been having babies for a long time, and mother nature will tell the baby what to do.

so now is the time to find that expert to help in the middle of the night just in case, or contact your vet to find out about asap visits,
good luck and keep us posted.

As for testing if pregnant, i use the hands on approach one hand on her back the other under her belly and my ear to her side tap the belly and you should feel the foal kick back. just love it when that happens. lol

Last edited by horselady : 11-02-2010 at 06:47 PM.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM  
Newborn Member

Still no baby...

No foal yet.. Still the same, she is doing some more laying down and getting up, biting at her sides etc. We have decided to stop testing her milk and let her alone for the most part. I'm still skeptical about her not being very big. I went out yesterday and did the suggestion of gently tapping her with my head and hands on her belly.. All I felt was fat jiggling.
We're just going to have to do the "wait and see "approach.
Does anyone know if it is too late to do the Weefoal test?
Thanks all !
Old 11-05-2010, 05:12 PM  
Pasture Pet

Well good idea to just let her be, I have used the kit for milk to determine how soon the mare will foal. works like a charm

how about another photo of her.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:45 PM  
Newborn Member

Milk changes

Update, not a whole lot of changes with Sophie, but I couldn't help myself I had to just see milk, as she has been laing down and getting up a bit the past few days, and backing up against the wall, also doing a funny lip curl thing, I think she's smiling for the cameras Anyhow, her milk color has changed to a more cloudy off white, three days ago was when i last tested her milk and decided to stop doing it. Three days ago it was see through and kinda yellow. Today I can't see through it anymore and it is turning an off white color, still very watery though.. So hopefull it will be soon! Maybe a thanksgiving baby?
I will post pictures of her changes tonight.
Thanks all!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:15 PM  
Pasture Pet

from what you are describing she is not going to wait that long. perhaps by next weekend,
Old 11-06-2010, 09:52 PM  
Newborn Member

new pics

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...r-2008/Sophie/

I took some more pictures this evening. Doesn't seem like much change. Her vulva keeps getting a crust under it, I keep washing it and it comes back.
I wonder if she might have an infection, I'm researching that.
Thanks again
Old 11-11-2010, 06:10 PM  
Newborn Member

This is so exciting! Have you had a foal yet? We bred our mare this summer but she resorbed the fetus...we are anxious to try again next year.
HorseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 PM  
Weanling Member

I would be concerned about the discharge as in my experieince the mares usaully don't have a discharge unless thee is a problem with the placenta or foal. I think I would check with my Vet.
flmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 PM  
Weanling Member

Wow! How exciting! I do agree with flmorgan on the discharge thing. I would have a vet take a look at it. It's not normal to be having that much of a discharge. With her symtoms I'd say she's fairly close to foaling. If her milk has changed from yellowish to more of a milky color then I would keep a close eye on her. Try to read up all you can on foaling out Miniature mares because they can have some serious problems if not monitored closely. I've always used the milk test strips, and they are right on every time. Are her teats still pointed inward? As she gets closer to foaling they will usually point downwards. Her vulva will also loosen and appear elongated. Most mares will go off their feed right before foaling, and will have loose poop much like a cows. I wish you luck, and keep us posted!
minis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:13 AM  
Newborn Member

Frusterated...

Thanks guys, I am so puzzled by lil' Sophie.. I have everything ready and have been watching videos on redbags, breech, etc. filling my head with all the emergency what to do's, the key will be actually being able to catch her in labor I think from what I have heard.
Her milk is still watery and thin, but much whiter. She seems to have dropped a bit. I just wish I knew her dates better, the people I bought her from didn't really know much about her, as they had bought her as a companion for another horse and it didn't work out so we were lucky enough to get her. We had heard that the stallion was very small, so that's a small comfort
I am starting to wonder if she is just having a false pregnancy or is just full of milk as I have read that can happen too. Our vet said the crusty stuff shouldn't be a problem, (over the phone) as she seems to be peeing and also pooing a bit down her bottom. She's scheduled to come next week, so we'll see for sure.
She just stands all night with her butt against the wall, and getting up and down. Her croup is still firm as well as her vulva. her right side is getting a lot larger than her left, but the milk strips are still pretty high PH and low calcium.. So that's a letdown. She was off feed for a few days not very interested, but now she's eating like crazy!
Maybe she will surprise us with a foal, or maybe it's just a false one.. I'll keep you posted, thanks for listening to my chattiness
Old 11-12-2010, 04:04 PM  
Coming two

Please dont depend on the strips. They can be helpful but I will say my mare this year tested high on everything and foaled 2 hrs later. The single biggest indicator I have found is a rock hard udder especially if its warm to the touch. Never take your eyes off a mare like that!

I agree the crusty stuff is no worry. Most late term mares start losing control of their tail so they cant lift it high enough when they urinate which makes it go down their backside.

Mares can also lose a mucus plug like humans so always watch for that. Usually you find it in their tail.

Some mares do have "milk" all the time but its called witches milk because its not real milk. Can make it very hard to tell. Especially overweight mares as they will have a big udder from being fat. Usually that spot in front of the udder would be getting big by now if shes really pregnant.

You could try a wefoal test but its a little late so it wont be as accurate after day 300.

Please feel free to call me or email me if you have questions or need help _
Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 PM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Usually that spot in front of the udder would be getting big by now if shes really pregnant.

Please feel free to call me or email me if you have questions or need help _
Thanks Kay! That spot in front of her udder feels pretty full, not tight in an way, but Jiggly.. I didn't even feel up that far when I was milking her
Didn't even know it was there! I'm not sure what it felt like before since I just found it. Also, she's still doesn't look very big,
but her latest due date from the dates I was given would be Nov 26th I think, but that's at a big horse gestational calculator, Based on the VERY last possible breeding date she would be 324 days in foal... That's based on a breeding date of 12/24/2009, she was with stallion from 12/3/2009 to 12/24/2009 , so if she bred at the earliest breed date she could be 345 days.. Crazy little mini, I did the nail test tonight and it said she was surely pregnant and we would be welcoming a colt, I don't know how reliable it was, but it was a fun thing to take our minds off foaling or lack of.
She's so far into this pregnancy, but not showing any typical signs of foaling soon.
Thanks again for listening to my chatter, I'm so excited I can't wait to see this little bundle of joy!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM  
Weanling Member

Its hard to tell by photos, but it almost looks like her vulva does not seal toward the bottom--like a bit of the mucosa inside is constantly exposed--- like there is a scar or divot missing in the right side lower edge of the vulva, maybe?
Eastowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM  
Newborn Member

Vulva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastowest View Post
Its hard to tell by photos, but it almost looks like her vulva does not seal toward the bottom--like a bit of the mucosa inside is constantly exposed--- like there is a scar or divot missing in the right side lower edge of the vulva, maybe?

I am so very glad you said something about that! I have always owned geldings and have never really looked closely at a mare's vulva, but I noticed the same thing and thought I was crazy! When I would look up foaling info. I would see vulva's that looked nothing like hers.. What does that mean do you think? Will that be a problem for foaling?
I really wish her previous owners had more info. I apologize for my ignorance, this was a purchase for my daughter for Christmas, and we got a bit more than we bargained for I'm very excited for a foal though. Another question for the vet when she comes this week.
Thanks for the comments, I check this forum way too often these days
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 AM  
Coming two

As mares get closer to their due date the vulva will start to hang open. This is due to the slackening of the muscles.

Also it looks like in the pic you are holding a leg up?? That may distort things?

It would be helpful to see a side view picture of her standing naturally but not so close up

Kay
Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM  
Newborn Member

We did hold her leg up for a few pics, that may be why. But is is a funny looking vulva , it seems short too. This little girl is always on my mind lately! We are getting so impatient! Every two hour checks, sleeping with the monitors way up. I think she's waiting for us to go on vacation or something! Anyhoo, still waiting

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics