Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 AM  
Seasoned

TB and perch cross

When someone crosses a TB with a Perch, what traits, skills, conformation, ability and personality are they hoping the foal will have?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 AM  
Yearling Member

IMO, they are looking for an "instant warmblood," a horse with the drive and athletic ability of a TB tempered with the bone, substance and cooler temperament of the draft.

JMHO but I think that it is always a bad idea to breed two horses that are SO different in type, hoping to get an even blending of the traits. Genes just don't often mix that way. I've seen waay too many crosses like this that have major conformation flaws - Perch head w/TB neck or Belgian body w/ QH legs and feet.

Don't shoot me - I know that there are nice crosses out there - I just think that it's a bigger than usual gamble when crossing two opposite body types. It's hard enough getting a well-balanced horse when you breed like-to-like. Also, no matter what discipline you choose, there is a breed out there that is suitable - why go into the lab and experiment?
canteringkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM  
Yearling Member

Cantering... I understand what you are saying about breeding crosses but I have done this mix for the exact reasons you stated but for way less money. I have a beautiful and sweet perch mare with the nicest gaits I have ever seen on a draft that I bred to a wonderful thoroughbred stud and had the most stunning colt for $1500 instead of adding a few more 0's to buy a warmblood. I sadly lost him too young but I will be trying again to see if I can get something close. I have the advantage of being able to keep what ever it turns out to be (ugly or stunning) and will love it just the same.
Ginaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 AM  
Yearling Member

I have some friends who are breeding tb/perch crosses, and they consider them a new "sport horse" and they really like using them for jumping. I myself have not seen these horses in action, but they do not look so "heavy" as I thought they would have.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
I agree with Cantering
When it works, and you get the characterics from each parent that is desired, the results can be very pleasing
However, genetics don't always work that way. Sometimes you get the Temperment of the TB and the movement of the draft!
I saw a good example of this at a local light horse show. The first offspring from a draft mare and TB stud had the size, bone temperment of the draft and the refinement and movement of his TB sire
A FULL SIBLING looked like a draft, moved like a draft (high knee action and ground pounding movement ) and had the hotter temperment of his TB sire
I have always wondered why in most disciplines it is accepted that outcome iss more reliable and desirable when you breed like to like (dam and sire who both have the proven track record in discipline ) yet some people (not those really serious in sport horses ) breed a horse bred to pull to a riding horse and expect a horse that will excel in the riding horse's disciplines
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM  
Seasoned

It happens.

My mare is appy x TB x perch. Her neck is too short. Her body is wide. She moves VERY lightly for being as large as she is. LOVE her. Is her type for everybody? Nope. Grew up riding TBs, and NEVER have I been able to pat a horse between the ears while mounted.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 PM  
Halter broke

We own a 18 year old Perch x TB mare who we love. She's just my fiance old trail horse now, but from what I understand, she was something in her day. She was a 3 day eventing mare and did quite well! She's fat and lazy now, enjoying her semi-retirement.

She is very calm and sweet. I don't think that old girl has a mean bone in her body. She does have her days, but what 18 year old mare doesn't? We love her. She's an alpha horse for sure, but at 17.1 and 1300+ lbs, who wouldn't be? =)
CountryGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM  
Coming two

Since I own one, I have to chime in here- I wanted the athletic ability of the TB with the added bone of a Percheron. I wanted enough motor under the hood will you, but also some added "levelness" of the Percheron.
Now I think my girl turned out just how I would have liked her to, but it is definitely not always the case.
I think the biggest part of my girl turning out how she did, is that her dam was the TB. Often times the dam is the Percheron, and in my opinion its easier to add some bone to the mare, than it is to "lighten up" the percheron.

Here are two photos of her foxhunting as a 6 year old http://www.newenglandwarmbloods.com/laylapage.htm

Also wanted to add- I didn't breed this girl, but I fell in love with Tb/perch crosses when I was growing up and they were the new "hot thing" and selling for HUGE amounts. Well I found this girl while I was in college and well, she was an UGLY yearling and right in my price range (which was VERY minimal), so I scooped her up hoping she might turn into the ones I fell in love with that were selling for huge amounts.
Lucky for me she turned out as nice as she did!

www.NewEnglandWarmbloods.com
Breeding and Training Quality Sporthorses

Last edited by Amrwmblds2 : 09-28-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Amrwmblds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:37 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Good example when the cross works!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:06 AM  
Weanling Member

Here are some pictures for you ...

This full Percheron mare was bred to my Guaranteed Gold stallion (cremello TB stallion)

I REALLY didnt have much hope of the foal turning out with any lightness or elegance. There was just so much "bulk" to overcome!

Here is the filly (the grey one) at coming three. I LOVE this filly - she is gorgeous and elegant and athletic all rolled into one!

and:

Here is another one at about a month old out of another full Percheron mare:

The cross absolutely CAN work! You just really need to do your homework and go with a stallion that has a past history of adding refinement to the colder Draft breeds ...
Breeders of unique coloured TB's & Sport Horses & standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion-CSHA approved & also standing Panoramic - 17.1hh black sabino TB stallion - both AQHA, APHA & AphC listed!

www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM  
Started

I agree with canteringkids as well...
Yes, the Perch/TB cross can come out fabulous..and they can be very talented and beautiful and have the warmblood look,

but then again...

you can get an UGLLYYYYY cross as well. Thick neck, tiny legs, huge head..so many "odd" combinations...

IMO, unless you've seen the cross and know its going to turn out..
I wouldn't do it.
eventergirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics