Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 09:24 AM  
Weanling Member

pictures of a mares bag

is there anyone out there that has a picture of a mares bag right before they foal. I'm so inexperienced at this and don't even know how big its supposed to get right before they give birth. Thanks in advance

Ashli
Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 AM  
Weanling Member

Here is an udder about a week prior to foaling--

Here is the morning before, with full teats and a teeny bit of "shiny" at each teat opening--

Here is noon the day before, waxing--

Here is the night before, waxed and occasionally dripping. (mare foaled at 8:30 am the next morning)

This mare starts to bag up a bit more than 45 days out, and gets a big full udder. She has had several foals. Not all mares do it this way, but she is pretty "textbook" as far as average-looking udders and prep time.

(OH and here is baby, at 18 days old)

Last edited by Eastowest : 05-14-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Eastowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 AM  
Halter broke

I think Eastowest has covered it fairly comprehensively, some bags get much fuller than others, often feel very hard and hot.

My mare skipped the prolonged waxing up stage, I put her to bed one evening, checked about 9 - no wax, no signs, at all. I checked at midnight before I went to bed and she was like this, she foaled within an hour. She didn't have a huge swollen udder, another mare of mine looks as if she is about to explode and runs milk for about 24 hours before foaling.

Good luck with your foaling.
Enfys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 AM  
Kid Safe

The above photos are great.
Just remember, not all mares 'wax' before foaling.

This is Lonely's bag, 5 days before she had Toby (never changed from this) - she had been on Domperidone for 3 months, to bring in her milk, so her bag was as full as a bag could be at this point. (long story about the need for Domperidone) :

(And here's her baby at sunrise the morning he was born.)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:57 AM  
Kid Safe

All mares are different. I had one who's bag appeared the same fullness from 6 weeks out until birth. No wax, no dripping. I had another...wax 3 weeks out and absolutely streaming milk down her legs two days before delivery.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 AM  
Weanling Member

so whats this look like to you? Pretty much happened over night.

This may very well be her first foal....
Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 PM  
Kid Safe

I posted in your other topic, but I'll copy it here:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Mae View Post
She is in her foaling stall now....I didn't know that I needed to bag her tail....crap...never done this before and really didn't ever think I would.

Any other help...I'm freaking out. And its supposed to storm for the next three days or so...isn't there something about a storm that makes them want to foal?
Relax. Breathe in, breathe out.
For now, braid the tail, as suggested by Gotta Love Duns.
As she gets closer, you can vet wrap her tail to keep it out of the way, and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Love Duns View Post
To me it looks like she has a bit to go yet, he teats are still pointing "in" and she hasn't filled completely yet.
I fully second this. The teats look like they point inward, which *typically* means she's not ready. Also, the rear half of the bag doesn't seem as full as it could be.

BUT, the fact that her bag has grown that much since April is a good sign that she's getting closer.

One thing to watch is how her bag looks in the morning, and then again in the evening. If it's smaller in the evening (and mushier feeling), then she's not ready yet. The heat of the day, and the activity of moving around all day, will usually reduce some of the 'swelling' during the day.

As they get closer to foaling, the bag will remain just as full in the evening as it was in the morning.

Once it's hard to the touch all day, and takes on a 'shine' from being stretched so tight, then you're getting really close. And if you see droplets dried on the teat ends, or milk dripping, you're usually within 48-72 hours, and you should check her frequently.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics