Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 01:30 PM  
Weanling Member

Registering a Horse

I'm not sure if this should go here or not but I was curious to know if you have a Quarter horse, Paint, Appaloosa, or any other breed whos dam was grade and sire was registered could you still get the horse registered(if it showed characteristics of the breed)?

I just saw a thread that mentioned a colt whos sire was registered and dam was grade and was just wondering if you could get the horse registered with the sires breed association.

Thanks (:

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence. ~
Pam Brown
Silver_Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:21 PM  
Bombproof Member

There are some half registries but there has to be proof. With the registries tightening up I wouldn't be surprised if you need DNA of the off-spring and the registered parent. If there is no proof then anyone can pick a stallion out of a hat and say it was the sire.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:24 PM  
Halter broke

Registering a horse

Many breeds, Quarter horses, Arabians, and Morgans come to mind, have a Half Breed registery where you can register your horse if one parent is a registered horse.

I think some color breeds like Paint Horse you can registered a horse out of unregistered stock, if it shows the correct color characteristics.

You can go to the breed registeries website, and they generally give guidelines on their rules for registering Half Bred horses.
dacdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:04 PM  
Started

POA and Appaloosa registries come to mind.

POA will register by inspection. But I do think must meet breed standards.

Appaloosa will register a horse with characteristics of the breed, but only if gelded or spayed.

Racking horse registry and Spotted Saddle Horse registries have been open to registration by inspection. Not sure they still are.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:20 PM  
Seasoned

Cross AQHA off your list.

both parents have to be registered Quarter Horses and DNA checked before the offspring can be registered. The only other breed they allow is a registered Thoroughbred with DNA on file, and you get "Appendix" QH papers until the horse earns enough points at approved AQHA shows to graduate to the regular papers.
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 AM  
Long Yearling

Appaloosas, and I THINK Paints will hardship register horses with characteristics, but they must be gelded or spayed. AQHA will not, as both parents must be registered with the AQHA in order for the foal to be. If a foal has paint markings, it can be registered with the Pinto association, as they register on markings only.
I don't have any knowlege of any other associations, so I won't speak for those. But most likely, no matter which association you'd be dealing with, it will be a pain in the rear, and expensive!!!

"No horse ever goes as fast as the money you spend on him."
Rockin GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 AM  
Bombproof Member

There is a Pinto "registry" which is color only. Means nothing but it's there for those who want a paper for their horse. TWH is DNA as well and others will be making the change. Forgeries or attempted forgeries are all to commonplace.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 AM  
Weanling Member

Paints need to have two registered Paint parents or one reg. QH/one reg. Paint or one reg. Thoroughbred/one reg. Paint. The QH/Thoroughbred parent needs to be listed with APHA. This is APHA registration that I'm referring to.

If the registration is missing on one of the parents but the horse still has the paint markings, you can register with the Pinto horse registry.
Hanks Rainy Sky - 1998 Black & White Tobiano Gelding
GottaRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM  
Weanling Member

The Pinto Horse Assoc. (PtHA-- largest, oldest Pinto registry) will only register mares or geldings who have unreg. parentage-- to be eligible for PtHA registration, Pinto stallions must come from registered Pinto or registered approved breed registered parentage.
Eastowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 AM  
Amy
Yearling Member

Okay, so I have a question... my mare's dam is registed APHA solid colored, breeding stock, however it goes. I don't know who sired my mare- she and her dam were pulled from a kill pen when my mare was a yearling. Is there a way, or will there someday be a way, to send in a DNA sample from my mare and search the APHA, AQHA databases to find her sire? I'm relatively sure her sire was either QH or Paint, she's definitely stock-horse type.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 PM  
Weanling Member

There is no searchable databases of DNA with these registries at this time that can assign parentage to a total unknown-- -- The DNA they have listed is for comparing known parents to their alleged offspring, or checking a foal's DNA against a specific list of possible sires-- so far they can't just pick a needle out of a haystack like you are describing.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 PM  
Weanling Member

Your mare's dam is registered APHA? Do you know that dam's registered name? It might be possible to track down the owner at the time she was bred and get a name of the potential baby daddy that way...
Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 PM  
Newborn Member

Send a message via MSN to TKing
Question

Would someone be so kind to explain to me what the purpose is of a hardship registration please? If it is possible to hardship register but the animal has to be spayed or gelded then why would someone go through the trouble and expense? Isn't that kind of the point?

If I had a great horse that was doing very well, I would want to eventually breed it because it is such a great animal and I would want to promote it.

Or, if that animal had offspring on the ground already when I hardship registered it, would I then be able to register the offspring after the original was "fixed"?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:06 PM  
Kid Safe

I was under the impression that it was so you could show at Reg. shows, not so you could reg. any offspring.... unless it is an open registry, perhaps.
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM  
Weanling Member

>>>>> Would someone be so kind to explain to me what the purpose is of a hardship registration please? If it is possible to hardship register but the animal has to be spayed or gelded then why would someone go through the trouble and expense? Isn't that kind of the point?

>>>> If I had a great horse that was doing very well, I would want to eventually breed it because it is such a great animal and I would want to promote it.

>>>>> Or, if that animal had offspring on the ground already when I hardship registered it, would I then be able to register the offspring after the original was "fixed"?

People hardship register an Appaloosa gelding or spayed mare for showing purposes, or for participating with a registered Appaloosa in ApHC programs such as the saddle log, open show program, Chief Joseph trail ride, etc.

If there was offspring prior to the horse being fixed and hardship registered, they are not eligible to be registered.

As far as not being able to breed a good performer later on--there are many great performers even from well known bloodlines who are geldings which never go on to reproduce-- in fact there are many more geldings being shown than stallions. In some classes (youth for instance) you cannot show stallions. So if a hardshipped gelding is a great performer, he has fulfilled an important purpose. He has unknown or disallowed bloodlines, or else he would have been able to be registerable with full breeding rights as a potential stallion-- but being a good gelding is certainly not a bad or second class job for a horse to have.

Last edited by Eastowest : 02-18-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics