Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 PM  
Halter broke

Information on Paint stallion

I am not sure this is in the right place, so please move if it needs to be moved. Has anyone heard of Sonny's Lucky chance. He is a sorrel overo stallion. I am not sure if he is still alive or not. I am looking at an eleven year old daughter of his and the owner says that he is pretty famous all around. Any information that any paint owners might have would be greatly appreciated.
I will probably buy the mare regardless of the breeding, she is wonderful and built very well, but, the seller kept emphasizing her sire, so I am just curious.

thanks,
jstacntrygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to bittersweethorsefarm
Other posters will have more information, but...

But here is the pedigree I found - it has one picture too. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sonnys+lucky+chance

Only 13 offspring listed on this site though (looked under Reports - Progeny), very certain he has a ton more then that... especially to be on a magazine.

Sonny Dee Bar is in his background... my 11 yo paint mare has a line to him, great girl.
bittersweethorsefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 PM  
Coming two

Sonnys Lucky Chance A VERY versatile horse These stats I got from an old PHJ,dec98:
2timeapha natiional show all round champion
12 national,world & honor roll titles
1991 leading sire of halter horses
1992 leading sire of halter horses
271 halter points,420 performance points

His Get have earned 5076 halter,4690 performance,12 APHA champions,
3 versatility awards,176 ROM & 59 superiors
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 AM  
Halter broke

Great, thanks for the information. The mare is 11 and is a red dun overo. She is well trained and seemed so calm. I will post pics once the sale has gone through and she is mine.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 AM  
Yearling Member

Here's what APHA has on record for him as of today.
Awards Current Year Show Detail Shows NOT Posted
2009 Halter Points: .0 Times Grand Champion : 45 Performance Versatility : 06-26-1987
Lifetime Halter Points : 271.0 Times Resv. Grand Champion: 50 Superior All-Around : 06-06-1987
2009 Performance Points: .0 APHA Champion : 06-10-1986
Lifetime Performance Points : 420.0

He was Reserve National Champ in Halter once. He has ROMs in Hunter U/S, Tie Down Roping, and Pole Bending. He has Superiors in Halter, Heading, Heeling, Steer Stopping, Trail, and Western Pl. He was National Champ in Heeling, World Champ in both Heading and Utility Driving, and Resv World Champ in Tie Down Roping. He has points in Reining, Utility Driving, and Western Riding as well.

He has 314 foals registered to date. Of those 100 have show records and 22 are enrolled in the Breeder's Trust program(including an 11 year old red dun overo mare). His last foal registered so far is a 2008 colt.

Barefoot Farms breeding AQHA and APHA horses with outstanding performance and temperament. www.bffarms.com
barefoot rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM  
Halter broke

Thanks so much. Just out of curiosity what kind of price tag would you think a mare out of him would have? I am not good with knowing how much a horse is worth. (I always just thought the horse is worth whatever someone is willing to pay) She has a bald face and blue eyes, 15.2 hands and is really thick. Has been shown in halter and has had 2 foals.
Is there any kind of an educated quess some one would like to offer? I am buying her as strickly a trail horse no breeding or showing.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:55 PM  
Yearling Member

If you're looking at as strickly a trail horse then to my way of thinking it doesn't matter what her sire, dam, or siblings did or are doing. She worth whatever amount YOU are willing to pay. Maybe that is the same as what her current owner are wanting for her both money wise and job wise maybe not. I know LOTS of great show horses that are anything but a pleasure to ride on the trail and vice versa. Some horses can do multiple things equally well. Personally, I like to get the most bang for my buck. I want a horse I can use for more than one thing. If for no other reason then the fact I may have to sell that horse at some point. JMO though.

A good tried and true trail horse can be worth a pretty penny. After all your comfort and safety is hard to put a price tag on.

Barefoot Farms breeding AQHA and APHA horses with outstanding performance and temperament. www.bffarms.com
barefoot rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 PM  
Halter broke

I am buying just as a trail horse, I have ridden her and she is very docile and gentle. I didnt go look at her because of her breeding, I went because she is gorgeous, and had the experience I was looking for. I even rode her by the road when a car went by honking and waving, she didnt flinch.
Your right, I feel like I am getting more than my moneys worth with her, just on her temperament and build regardless of breeding.
I probably wouldnt even have asked about her sire except that the seller used that as a selling point and to let me know I was getting a good deal.
I appreciate all the information and opinions everyone gave.
Thanks

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics