Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 AM  
Coming two

how to safely get rid of rats/mice

Ok my feed room has been taken over by rats. They poop and pee everywhere and chew everything. I have all my feed in large rubber trashcans. Well they chewed the bottom of one to get to the feed. They are destroying my unused blankets, which are hanging up. I cleaned out the entire feed room today and replaced the chewed through trashcan. I also threw away a box of dog treats that they got into. Is there a safe way to get rid of them? I have dogs so I'm afraid to use poison. I'm also not really a cat fan and my dogs would probably not be a good match for a cat anyway. Is there any product or strategy that has worked for you?
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:46 AM  
Weanling Member

This is what I did last year. Keep your butter tubs or you can use any container with a lid. I cut holes in the container then put the poisen in the container. The mice or rats get in to the stuff, eat, and die. I placed the tubs behind items in the barn so the dogs would not try to get it open. Worked great for us.
Groom
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:47 AM  
Started

You can get peppermint oil and soak cotton balls with the oil and them throw them around in your tack and feed room. The peppermint oil (can get it a a nutrtion store) is expensive but it works and your rooms smell like peppermints.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:02 PM  
Yearling Member

Put your feed in Metal trash cans. With lids.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 PM  
Coming two

fg does the peppermint repel them?
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 PM  
Started

It does. When I boarded in Texas the tack and feed room were over run with mice/rats. I went and bought a couple of bottles and did the rooms. Threw some between the walls and put a few up in the rafters, and some around the feed bins. We had no problems until the smell was gone. Then I replenshed the rooms. Before then,the mice/rats were eating through the plastic tubs and destroying anything stored there. We did have big metal barrels for the feed but if we left the lid off while we went to feed there was always a mouse or two in the bin. We were usually only out of the room for 10-15 minutes.

It was nice to walk into a minty mouse/rat free area and get your feed out or you blankets out without any mice poop or pee.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:43 PM  
Halter broke

A co-worker of mine had that thing you see on informercials, the one that you plug into the wall and the electric frequencys are supposed to keep away critters, and she said it worked. I'm not sure if this is true or not, or if you have electricity in your tack room.
hellokitty41489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM  
Seasoned

Traps -- they actually make some now that kill the rat/mouse with an electric shock but I like the T-rex traps put inside something to keep out cats --
(from http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/...apperkit.htm):

glue boards or trays, little live traps, repellent sprays, or snares. Many years ago I knew a farmer that mixed kool-aid powder with powdered concrete. The rats would eat it, drink, and die. It would take a lot to kill a dog or cat, but I'm not sure I would put that out if pets were in the area.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 PM  
Newborn Member

I know when we had a mouse situation a good family friend told us to buy fresh mint & put it out in our cubboards and stuff (mind you this was in a house not a barn) but it seemed to work wonders. They don't like mint at all.

I've also heard rumor that Bounce sheets repel them, we have Bounce sheets all over our cabbin over winter to keep them away... seems to work alright

I know nothing about Rats though & imagine their probably somewhat harder to deal with?
BabiGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:41 PM  
Weanling Member

I agree that peppermint soaked cottonballs does work but you have to keep on top of it. We also bought the traps that catch several at a time and then my husband would put them in 5 gallon bucket of water to drown then empty the traps and start again. I know its sad but we had a severe problem like you where they where everywhere and so gross!
To be honest we now have not had one mouse since last winter when a stray cat showed up and now lives in the barn. I thought that cats had to actually catch the mice but just the smell keeps them away. Maybe try someones used cat box in your barn...
azhorselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:10 PM  
Started

I have also used the peppermint oil,
it works fairly well.
And the smells not to bad
country-mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:08 PM  
Kid Safe

A cat will definitely take care of the problem. And, if it's a wily outdoor barn kitty, it will leave the dogs alone and the dogs will learn to leave it alone. They do better as pairs, though, so they have a reason to stay around.

I had pack rats that were completely unafraid of me. I had mice that ate through everything, even my thrush medication. I got three wild kitties and the next day, both the pack rats were in pieces. Greatest gift ever!

Now, I tried one of those electric things. The frequency apparently bothered the dogs and they ate it - at great risk of electrocuting themselves. I got another one that proclaimed it was safe for dogs. Every day, I found the greatest amount of mouse poop on top of and around the device. Seems it was party music!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
Put out some cola and/or min. rice. Mice cannot burp, so if they drink the sweet soda, they cannot burp and will die. If they eat the min. rice and drink water, it swells inside them and will also kill them. But should not harm your dogs.

Good luck, that is what my mom has always done and it worked really well.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:35 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
FYI - we've had dogs die at the Humane Society from rat poison. The poisons were never laid out anywhere near the dogs but the mice would eat a little of it, then run into the kennels. Very sad. So even if you keep that stuff away from your pets if they eat a rodent with a gut full of rat poison ...

I like Cascy's idea. Don't know if the soda would work once it goes flat, though, since that method seems to rely on carbonation.

I also like the idea of barn cats. Sometimes animal shelters will give away free cats that aren't "pet quality' (ie: feral cats, cats that bite, etc). A good barn cat will avoid your dogs.

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." Alice Cullen
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 AM  
Newborn Member

Don't know how well it works, but I received an e-mail recently from a friend who said this method works better than anything they have tried. Put out Ex-Lax - they love the chocolate taste, eat it, go back to their nesting area, do what Ex-Lax causes them to do and contaminate their living space. They dehydrate and die, their roomates move on to greener pastures. Put the Ex-Lax where your dogs and cats can't get to it.

Home of happy Arabians & Border Collies
and one Quarter Horse
SeayBreezeFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 AM  
Long Yearling

I'm not a fan of cats either, and any strays that come to my barn are "gotten rid of." But I have one cat, a neutered male--so kittens, and no urinating on things! He takes care of the mice, fends of the dogs, and he's the only one I have to feed and put up with. Actually, I kinda like the critter now. I've had him for almost 4 years and moved him 3 times! I do feed him, and he gets good quality food--just not free choice so that he still hunts--in order to keep him around and healthy. Most of the mice and rats (and rabbits) I've seen him with, he doesn't even eat, just torments them to death. He gets his shots every year, especially rabies, since he roams the fields.
The other thing I do is as suggested above--poison in corners behind stuff! My feed room is shut up except when I'm feeding, so the cat can't get in there--he just patrols the barn. And my dogs have been taught that they aren't allowed in the feed room. I do like the idea of putting them in butter tubs or something similar...that sounds like a great idea!!! But you'd have to make a pretty big hole if you've got rats.
Rockin GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM  
Started

How many cotton balls and how much peppermint oil per cotton ball to keep the mice at a distance?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 AM  
Kid Safe

Putting out something smelly is good to keep them away from your grain bins and such but it's not going to keep them from reproducing. Your going to have to take other drastic means. Sorry!

I put my bag of rat pellets (never opened the bag) in a coffee can high on a shelf with a small hole in the cover. Thinking I was killing mice, rats found it and enlarged the hole to their liking. Soon afterward we where discovering dead bodies everywhere. I didn't know I had a rat infestation. One thing led to another and now I have barn cats. The rats moved out of the barn and are now living in my house, I think. I try to tell hubby but he thinks it's the red squirrels storing pine cones. I trap the smaller rodents all the time in my kitchen drawers. Do rats and mice co-exist?

I have yet to find anything safe that works efectively to my satisfaction but I keep looking.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 AM  
Halter broke

I have 3 ferrel cats that have adopted my barn and I never see a mouse or rat. This may sound really strange but my husband has always said this. When his parents moved into an old farmhouse years ago, that they restored, they could hear the walls crawling in mice. My husband let his pet ferret run around the house for a day, and the mice were gone. He is insistant that mice, don't know about rats, are not fond of ferrets, as you may know ferrets have a musky order. He said for some reason he ferret was a bit more smelly than typical He said all the mice left once the ferret ran around. He also took the ferrets bedding and placed it around the house for a few days for the odor.
No harm in trying if you know someone with a ferret you could borrow, or get some bedding that has the ferret order. If it does not work no harm done and no poisons in the barn.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 AM  
Coming two

At the farm where I ride he has tons of voles/moles, not sure if it would work with mice/rats but he puts out chewing gum right by holes, or with food. Their stomachs can't digest it and then they die.
cinnamon_girl10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate