Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2008, 03:48 PM  
Started

I need advice on solar fence chargers

Does anyone use them and if you do, how well do they work? I have to replace alot of old rusty woven wire fence in my pasture. I am going with 3 strands of braided wire with a 2" electric tape on top. I was hoping the solar chargers worked well to save on my electric bill. Any input?

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 PM  
Yearling Member

solar

I have solar and hardwired electric fencing. really depends on who you are trying to keep in or out. Lil Joe(yearling) has figured out how to duck under the solar wire to get where he wants to go.......Muffin, Gaiter and Magic..respect the solar wire. The solar wire does pack a punch, make certain all your wire does not touch anything or it will discharge.
make certain you purchase the correct size charger for the area you want to hot wire. we have been using soalr for years without any major issues EXCEPT for Lil Joe, being too smart for it!!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:00 PM  
Yearling Member

I started out with solar chargers, but they seem to wear out, They where not putting out the charge (after a year or two) that they did when we bought them.

We bought ours and put them up 2 years ago, we have already switched one pasture to the electric charger. and will be switching out the other pasture this year.

But I have an escape artist, that i am trying to keep in. He HATES being confined in fencing. Even our 2 acre pastures, he will try to escape out of. He will walk the fence line testing the charge with his nose and if there is a spot where the charge is weak, due to frayed fencing, he will just scoot under the rail......

Naughty Naughty horse..
soft rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:29 PM  
Yearling Member

does not work on the cleaver ones

SOFTRIDER: same issue with me. My one escape artist knows the drill and how to duck under the wire to not get a touched.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I used a solar charger for 15 years and then I broke the leads and bought another one. I love mine, it works great and keeps the warmblood in when others haven't. No scooting under for any of mine since I have three strands and the low one is 18 inches off ground.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM  
Yearling Member

I think if you are only using one to save a bit on the electric bill pass it by to get a good charger. The amount saved will not be worth the extra cost of a GOOD solar charger. Plus I have not found that the people I know that have them are really really happy with them. Some use them as they do not have any other option. No electic by the pasture they use. Also the pastures where small so the charger was not working on a large scall.

Heidi
nrhareiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 PM  
Started

Thanks for the input, I'm not sure which I am going to use yet but this helped.

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 PM  
Yearling Member

I bought one and hated it! So bad I took it back and exchanged it for an electric one. It never worked properly and I have heard that you have to get one that is ALOT stronger than what you think you will need. It was a huge headache wondering every day if it was working!
RebaRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate