Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2008, 07:33 AM  
Kid Safe

Name that weed...plant experts needed

Do you have weeds that grow everywhere but you don't have a clue what they are or if they are toxic or just plain noxious? I just found out that a grass that grows in abundance in our hay field is called foxtail. No wonder the critters don't like our hay. So that got me to thinking what else are we growing. So with camera in hand I took some pics. If you know what it is please speak up. Thanks!

This is a tree that reseeds itself everywhere. The goats love to eat the leaves.

A vine that grows everywhere even in our trees. It gets so thick on our fence. Even the horses will nibble on it. I paid our son to cut it off the fence last year.

Speaking of vines here is another one.

If I have the right plant this one looks very tropical growing well over 6 ft and has berries that the birds love to eat.

And I think everyone knows this plant. The buttercup.
80% of my minis pasture is this plant. They won't eat it unless there is nothing left and they are hungry.

now for the grass

not a very good pic
Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 AM  
Yearling Member

I know we have to wage a war on the buttercup here also. It is terrible this year.
doxies13isenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:32 AM  
Started

That looks like my upper pasture. I finally went out with my riding lawn mower and mowed it down. I had the setting as high as it would go to prevent cutting the grass. It helped alot as it let the grass have more sunlight to grow. This fall, I will keep the horses in the lower pasture once it is fenced and spray the weeds and then do it again in the early spring. Hopefully I can get a handle on the weeds.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:02 AM  
Greenbroke Member

the first pic is sumac, i believe......not the poison, but the stuff herbalists can make tea out of.........it gets an upright cone "flower" that turns pink, then red in the fall

several pics down, the vine with the tiny dark purple flower is deadly nightshade......generally, not eaten unless starving, but is toxic...
tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:09 AM  
Greenbroke Member

the pic just prior to the buttercups is pokeweed........no one eats it, not even the goats (not mine, anyway)....it gets big spikes of dark purple berries...again, something previously useful, as the berries were used to dye things .....just try getting the berry juice on hands or clothes! The goats often came in with big purple streaks across their sides from walking thru it and getting berry juice in their hair. Has a wicked root system, have to dig it out with a shovel.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 AM  
Newborn Member

Yep, prior to the buttercups is Poke weed. We eat it, but the goats/horses wont.
We pick it early, slice up the stem & fry it in bacon gease & cornmeal.
mmmmmmmmm good!! We have tons of it here in our fence row.
luvnlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 AM  
Greenbroke Member

LOL...well, sheeeeeeeeesh, put almost ANYTHING in bacon grease and cornmeal and it become edible!
But seriously, i never heard of tht....interesting
Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 AM  
Weanling Member

The root of the Polk weed can be boiled and the juice used to doctor poison ivy.Warning the juice is very toxic so boil it in a gallon can and throw the can away. When applied to poison ivy infection it burns but will draw it out of the skin.We try to keep some on hand.
walkerfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 AM  
Kid Safe

Just a note about Pokeweed - every recipe I've ever seen for preparing it says to boil it three times in fresh water to remove the poison. The fermented juice of the PokeBerry was used to write the Declaration Of Independance

Buttercups are a pain in the butt. I'm told the only way to get rid of them is to use a general herbicide and replant. Don't let your horses or cows eat alot of it, it causes liver and kidney problems, and temporary neuroligical issues. Mowing it will control it somewhat.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:19 PM  
Started

We're still planning on liming our land (2 tons an acre) that has this buttercup crap! That should take care of the weeds and cedar type growths....they like acid ground so adding lime will stop it! The only thing is....we have to wait until middle of June before the CPS can deliver and spread it.

SACREDWINDWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:04 PM  
Long Yearling

Before I moved my horses home I contacted the county extension agent and she walked my pastures with me--identifying everything I couldn't so I knew if I had anything poisonous to horses. The best part--it was free! It also gave me great peace of mind to know that my horses wouldn't be chewing on anything that would make them sick. You might want to contact the extension agent in your area--they may give you good advice--
corporate cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnlife View Post
Yep, prior to the buttercups is Poke weed. We eat it, but the goats/horses wont.
We pick it early, slice up the stem & fry it in bacon grease & cornmeal.
mmmmmmmmm good!! We have tons of it here in our fence row.
My cows also won't eat the poke weed. But my peacocks love the berries. A white bird covered in berry juice is comical. I'll have to get a pic this fall if I still have my birds.

When it comes to a root system dandelions have nothing on this plant. I tried to dig one up once. It was like uprooting a tree.

I'm not sure if I'd be daring enough to eat it if my animals won't. Maybe they know something I don't.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 AM  
Halter broke

First picture is boxelder. A fast growing weed of a tree. Goats and sheep love it. Grows in disturbed areas around farms. Pictures 3&4 are nightshade. It is very toxic. The good thing is that most animals will not eat it. It has a very bitter smell when it is crushed.
Naudi2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:25 PM  
Yearling Member

Yikes! I don't know what they are,although, I have something I wrote and feel like we can all relate to this poem, here it goes, I hope ya'll appreciate it.

Ode to the Weed:

Under my breath, I curse and swear,
Simply because you are there.
Upon my nerves, you quickly wear.
I have to get you out of there!

I pluck, I pull, I spray and spray,
Hoping that you'll go away.

All spring and summer, I will toil,
Determined to oust you from my soil!
kballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 AM  
Seasoned

Check out:
http://www.invasive.org/eastern/

They have some nice descriptions and pictures of weeds in the east.

I can't tell for sure on the second photo (can't see the leaf close enough) but it might be oriental bittersweet. This stuff has a really woody stem and takes over along fence lines.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate