Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 10:59 AM  
Yearling Member

Lightbulb cheap barn fix-up(under 100$'s)

Do any of you have any good farm fix-ups? I was reading a article in horse and riden today and I wondered if any of you guys had an ingenius fix-up? Share it with us, PICTURES welcomed/wanted of your ideas
I can think of one right now: horseshoes can become excellent bridle racks if you mold them

I've seen my horse a million times. And yet, everytime I see her, she still takes my breath away.

Last edited by DriftwoodAcres : 04-27-2008 at 01:31 PM.
DriftwoodAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:32 PM  
Yearling Member

Anyone?

I've seen my horse a million times. And yet, everytime I see her, she still takes my breath away.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via Yahoo to hezzer
Old chest freezers that aren't in working order, make great places to store grain.

When you look for the good in others, you discover the best in yourself!

Presence is more than just being there!
hezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 PM  
Bombproof Member

You can reuse empty supplement buckets for storing things since they have snap lids. Also good for keeping things water proof.

Hay string has a ton of uses. (close second behind duct tape!!)
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to equine.trailrider Send a message via Yahoo to equine.trailrider
I like the baling twine for using as a lead for hard to catch horses! Some horses run if they see a halter or lead rope coming their way, so instead I roll up a piece of baling twine and put it in my jeans pocket. I can then approach the horse and scratch their neck or otherwise distract them. Then I slip the twine around their neck and voila! I have them ready to lead to where we're going! HA!
equine.trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:45 PM  
Long Yearling

I use the container my kitty litter comes in as buckets (tidy cat) and not sure of the other brand, but I use it to haul water in the trailer for when we travel. I also put my salt and mineral blocks in cat litter pans.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to equine.trailrider Send a message via Yahoo to equine.trailrider
A friend of mine used those kitty litter buckets to put her wheat bran in since it lasts so long and keeps the big paper bag it comes in inside the house or garage. Takes up less space in the barn and more convenient to feed from.
equine.trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 PM  
Coming two

I too am guilty of storing haystrings everywhere. Also good for bridle/halter hangers are those really cheap grazing bits that sometimes come with nylon bridles...I nail upside down from the ring and hang stuff. All my guys are barefoot so I don't have the overabundance of shoes I also use the cat food buckets (delicat i think) for grain buckets or to mix a mash...has the snap on lid.

Oh, and I love those big thick bags that shavings come in, they make great trashbags because they are so thick.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Luvridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 AM  
Started

Another use for kitty litter jugs ~ I take them to the feed store to get molasses ( a full one is $7.00)
Easy to pour thick molasses with the wide opening.

I also use those plastic rolling carts with the drawers to store grooming supplies in aisle. I can roll it to the cross ties I am using or in front of any horses stall and it rolls out of the way when needed. ( fits perfectly under a saddle rack) They don't take up much space but the 3-4 drawers holds lot of stuff.

Run a piece of chain through a piece of pvc pipe and put a double ended snap on each end of the chain. This can be used as a blanket rack or a door guard. Screw in round eyes where needed to clip the snaps to. Also run electric fence through a length of pvc to make a 'gate' ~ attach a handle and it's easy to open the electric if needed.
Kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM  
Started

I love that white plastic clothesline.
It does not fade, stretch, crack, or mold. It holds up well through the Iowa winters as well.

I once fenced an entire 2 acres of pasture by using used capped t-posts, 2 strands of that white vinyl clothes line and an inside middle strand of hot wire.
I painted the posts white to match the clothes line and used the strand of hot wire to keep horses from leaning into the fence. It stayed nice and tight for over two years and looked nice too. I don't remember the exact cost but I do know it was under $200.

I am planning on making a round pen this summer the same way but without the hotwire. I will put capped t-posts in a 60 ft diameter and string up 3 strands of the vinyl clothes line. I will use just a regular stall guard for the gate.

I am guessing the whole project will be under $75.

Now, of course this would not work for rank horses, but it will work for what we do.

In Loving Memory of my Grandpa and Best Friend,
Stanley Howard Sherer Oct.3,1932-Mar.25,2007
kindredspiritsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by equine.trailrider View Post
I like the baling twine for using as a lead for hard to catch horses! Some horses run if they see a halter or lead rope coming their way, so instead I roll up a piece of baling twine and put it in my jeans pocket. I can then approach the horse and scratch their neck or otherwise distract them. Then I slip the twine around their neck and voila! I have them ready to lead to where we're going! HA!
I use it to ride Candy with in the field, just me, Candy, and a piece of twine. People do this when they drive by because they can't see the twine from the road.

Candy - 21 year old Palomino QH Mare
Shez Easin On (Lady) - 21 year old Buckskin QH Mare
enelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 AM  
Coming two

Tare or cut white plastic shopping bags into strips and use them on your electric or barb wire fence as a flag for the deer and the horses too see it better.

Kids with baseball bats are good for breaking up manuer piles in the pastures.

Life sucks some times. Give up, or get over it.
WhisperStables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM  
Halter broke

equine.trailrider, I do that too! Aren't we clever! Course the my 35 yr old Arab mare doesn't always fall for it, even though she's been retired for years.

kindredspiritsia, great tip!

I used to have to haul water in 5 gallon buckets. Still do when we go camping etc. I found the lids they came with aggravating and sometimes they would still leak. So I bought screw on lids from Gamma Seal. The were about $7.00 when I bought them. Love them!!! Will fit any 5 gallon bucket.

Also as most people know, the dollar stores have great bargains on everything. I get most of my first aid supplies there. Even bought tangles no more & brushes for their manes.
MurphysHorseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

kindred.. do you have any pictures of your white closeline fence.. I might be able to find a good use for the closeline..

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:54 AM  
Yearling Member

This may not be as inexpensive as some, but it lasts forever. We bought some tar paper (meant for roofing) and used it to line the exterior walls of our barn. It cost us about $30 a roll I think, we bought it from a contractor that was building a home near us and had leftovers. When we used it the first time we had a 20' by 20' barn, and I think it only took about three rolls to fully line it from top to bottom, and we had extra. It stayed up until we removed it this Spring when we were doing some remodelling and additions; it lasted from December 1992 to April 2008. That is some longevitiy, and keeps the barn so toasty in the winter and cool in the summer!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
Check out this thread for many, many ideas!

http://forum.horsetopia.com/frugal-living-money-saving-ideas/29247-share-your-ingenious-solutions-everyday-horsekeeping.html
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:44 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_Y View Post
Check out this thread for many, many ideas!

http://forum.horsetopia.com/showthread.php?t=29247
Just narrowing down the searching

Old 05-04-2008, 02:50 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvridn View Post

Oh, and I love those big thick bags that shavings come in, they make great trashbags because they are so thick.

Thats what I use my feed bags for !
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:18 PM  
Kid Safe

I use round tins...such as Tuna tins or Flakes of Ham tins for bridle holders.....works well
gingerfleguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:02 PM  
Coming two

For the interior of my stalls (10 x 12) I used rough cut 2 x 6 lumber from a local saw mill. White oak. Each stall cost under $100 for the lumber and could hold a stud if needed.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate