Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 PM  
Weanling Member

New Dream Barn

here is the story of Our new barn
WE bought it "on line" and they delivered it on a flatbed, it got stuck in the FL sand, but like all things, it got worked out and now its an awesome home to our 2 lucky big horses ( our minis have a small homemade barn)
The pictures tell the story start at the bottom......
Oh and please note the satellite TV dish is NOT for the horses!

CatFromFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 PM  
Coming two

That is a really neat way to get a barn! I like it. Next barn I get I am seriously leaning toward a shed row style. Congratulations!

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Luvridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 PM  
Kid Safe

How cool is that?!?! I love the barn!

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM  
Started

I love it! Congrats!

What is the web site that you found it on?

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." -Will Rogers
thunderbaby703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:46 AM  
Weanling Member

Where we found it

We bought it at www.horizonstructures.com. In fact we saw one in Ocala and asked the woman where she got hers. Check out their website. You then order the length and width and extras you want. I believe ours is about 38 ft long and 12 ft wide with an 8 ft wide porch. I have a bathing station with mats at 1 end where I can cross tie for vet work and the farrier . The building has 4 rooms, 2 are 11x12 stalls with no cement floors ( they have compacted sand floors with stall mats) and 2 are 8x12 with cement floors - 1 small room we use for tack & feed and 1 we use for gardening equipment and tools. Each of the stalls has a front and rear dutch door, and is lined with oak kick boards, there is a wall ( maybe shoulder height) with a fence of metal bars between the 2 stalls. The horses can see each other thru it and touch muzzles, which during thunderstorms gives them comfort. The end rooms each have a sliding window.Each stall has a fan and a light, we added lights and fans to the porch too so we can hang out on the porch. Right now we are storing the straw( for the birthing stall) on the porch.

The additional cuppola really does work and it draws air up and out....... which is important in FL. And I love the weather vane and copper cuppola roof

You have to get the cement slab or whatever you want as a foundation done before they deliver, and its optional for them to do painting or staining. My husband stained ours with a spray gun.

All the people at horizon were wonderful and easy to work with.They work with you to customize to your needs. The barn is everything we wanted and more! Of course I would have made bigger stalls if I knew my mare was pregnant and would need a bigger stall.......oh well...........

Last edited by CatFromFL : 10-12-2007 at 04:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 AM  
Coming two

That is a great looking barn!

One of the best things to hold onto in this world is a friend.
nomeanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:04 AM  
Pasture Pet

That is a gorgeous barn! I love it!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 AM  
Started

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out!

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." -Will Rogers
thunderbaby703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM  
Pasture Pet

What an awesome barn - I do like it a lot!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:13 PM  
Seasoned

Oh, am I jealous!!

You can only blame your problems on the world for so long
Before it all becomes the same old song.
KatieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 PM  
Started

It is BEAUTIFUL!!! It is pretty as a picture - just what a barn is supposed to look like!
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 PM  
Halter broke

That's great info! I've been looking into barns online for a couple of weeks now. I'm going to begin building a barn in the next month or two and am trying to decide if those "kits" are any good. I actually got a mailer from Horizon in the mail a couple of days ago and they look very professional... glad to hear someone used them and gives them the thumbs up!!
tlcasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:10 PM  
Weanling Member

You did an awsome job with the decorations!!!!
You should be very proud!
bazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 PM  
Weanling Member

It was not a kit.....they are prefabricated and the finishing is done on site

The horizon barns are made off site and delivered on a flatbed truck. They slide it off onto your slab and then they do all the finish work.......porch, roofing etc. We opted to add a few things......water, extra lights and porch fans, and we also stained it.

The material are all top grade pine board and batten and oak frame and oak stall walls. They even use a "hurricane kit" and bolt it to the cement slab.

We were impressed when we saw the one in Ocala, mostly because of the quality. And even though ours is smaller we are very pleased and the horses seem to love it.

The shed row style is great in Florida where ventilation is important and they get a cross breeze and it also allows them to come and go as they please.

The porch also helps you stay out of the rain during chores....mucking, grooming, farrier visits, vet visits and feeding. And we sit out there and the horses nose into every conversation!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:34 PM  
Started

wow that barn is beautiful - just like your horses!!!!!!
Stormy's Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 AM  
Halter broke

That's great info. I'm glad you liked them. It's hard to try and pick a place you know nothing about. My problem is though I want to build a 5-6 stall barn... not sure if I could do a "shed" style (do you think that would look funny?). I also want a tack room and my husband wants some space to all his lawn stuff in. I might be better off with something different. I'm also glad to hear yall did some of the stuff yourselves, that'll help to save costs.
tlcasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:19 AM  
Halter broke

That is beautiful!! I love the color he stained it too! Do you know what stain he used?
Question about the concrete - did you use concrete for the stall floors, or just keep dirt in that area?
Also you mentioned "shed-row" style for FL. Did you pick a certain direction to catch the breezes?
LOL, and you just Think the satellite dish isn't for the horses. Now that they've convinced you to build their lovely new home, you know they'll want the tv!
salairawns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcasel View Post
That's great info. I'm glad you liked them. It's hard to try and pick a place you know nothing about. My problem is though I want to build a 5-6 stall barn... not sure if I could do a "shed" style (do you think that would look funny?). I also want a tack room and my husband wants some space to all his lawn stuff in. I might be better off with something different. I'm also glad to hear yall did some of the stuff yourselves, that'll help to save costs.
Just so you know..... they custom build these, our friend Virginia who had the one we saw before we bought ours had a much longer version. I believe she had 3 regular sized stalls, 1 double birthing stall with a removable wall between 2 areas. She also had a closed room with concrete floor and also a sorta run in double open doorway ( no door) shed room where she housed her tractor and hay.

Ours is much smaller and has 2 stalls and 2 rooms- 1 on either end. My feed and tack / feed room.......and my hubbieshas a garden and tool shed room at the other end. The porches are optional and the porch width is optional as are door types, windows, etc etc.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 PM  
Weanling Member

Answers to your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by salairawns View Post
That is beautiful!! I love the color he stained it too! Do you know what stain he used?
Question about the concrete - did you use concrete for the stall floors, or just keep dirt in that area?
Also you mentioned "shed-row" style for FL. Did you pick a certain direction to catch the breezes?
LOL, and you just Think the satellite dish isn't for the horses. Now that they've convinced you to build their lovely new home, you know they'll want the tv!
The stain was Behr and the color was "Natural". We bought a 5 gal pail and didn't use it all. My husband sprayed it with a Wagner paint sprayer with a stain nozzle. I think we got it in Lowe's or Home Depot. The concrete floor was not cheap. It was $900 for the cement ( 7 yds) including delivery and the cement folks got an additional $900 to frame it and finish it. The stalls were cut out......you can see them in 1 of the early pictures before the barn came. We had the concrete slab about 2 weeks before the barn arrived....it had to "cure" ( don't know exactly what that means?) The cut outs were then filled with the sandy soil ( we do NOT have dirt here...........its sand) and compacted and wet and compacted and allowed to dry and then we sprinkled the sand with lime ( calcium something)Like the lime they use to make little league field lines I think. And finally we bought heavy stall mats that DO NOT interlock and allow for urine to be rinsed off. We use wood shavings as bedding. We allowed a border around the perimeter so the mats can be washed and drain off. So far we have had minimal curling.

As for the breeze, it was LUCK ......... we faced the barn so we can enjoy the view of them looking out the dutch doors from the house( which was facing south west) and the porch roof protects them from the setting sun which can be very hot here in the summer. Having the non stall rooms on the ends of the building actually insulates the stalls from the sun beating on the outside stall wall. We did not think of this but noticed it later. I believe this would work for insulation from the cold too. Perhaps we had devine intervention guiding us because some random things seem to have worked out with advantages we didn't foresee.

Best of luck in all your future" barn" decisions

I guess all barn designs have different advantages and depending on the wants and needs of each persons personal preference there is one out their for everyone.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:23 PM  
Coming two

Wow, that really puts my barn to shame, haha. I'd love to have one like that!!

Frustration begins where knowledge ends. -- Clinton Anderson
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate