Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2007, 12:52 PM  
Seasoned

3 sided shelter

This spring, I'll be needing to build a three sided shelter.
Just wondered if anyone here has any special features on their shelter that makes it nicer then a usual standard shelter. I have also been contemplating making it on skids so that it is moveable.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:56 PM  
Pasture Pet

We will be doing one for Smokey in the next two weeks - and we will be lining it with boards on the inside as it will be made out of rough cut lumber so that he does not injure himself with splinters...

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:56 PM  
Yearling Member

Just make sure it is heavy enough not to blow over. We have one that does on a regular basis. Luckily the horses only go in it in the rain.
Ginaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaw13
Just make sure it is heavy enough not to blow over. We have one that does on a regular basis.
Ya me too. Took me forever to convince the bf that the wind took it after we had a nasty wind storm. He kept saying the horses fought in it Common!!!!!!if they had been fighting then the darn thing would have kick holes in it. Duhhhhh!!!!!

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:22 PM  
Yearling Member

I actually watched it happen once. One minute it was there, the next it was gone.
You are right. There would definitly be holes if they were fighting hard enough to move it.
Ginaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:36 PM  
Kid Safe

I have one for my miniature horses. I need a bottom plate to pull it back together. Apparently someone thinks the outer wall is a great scratcher and they are spreading it out.

I wish I had made mine with a hay rack. Back to the drawing board I guess.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:27 PM  
Kid Safe

I've seen a big draft with his butt in the corner moving an entire 10x 24 shed...make sure you have some way to stake it down if it's on skids. That way it won't be as likely to blow away, either.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:00 AM  
Bombproof Member

I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but here is our run-in we finished this fall:

http://forum.horsetopia.com/viewtopic.php?t=18858

It's 12 x 42, very sturdy, and the horses love it when it is windy.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:18 AM  
Yearling Member

I think the best lean-tos I've seen are the ones that guard against the prevailing winds in the winter yet have windows on the prevailing wind side that open in the summer time to allow breezes to cool the horses.

Make sure to post some pics once yours is completed.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:34 PM  
Seasoned

Thanks for the link to the thread. Ours may be smaller but yes, something like that is what we have in mind. I'll be sure to post pics as it nears. Nice sand you have there. I'd love to have that!

I also like the windows idea on the non open side to let air in during summer.
I had not thought about a shelter on skids being blown over..again..good advice.
Thanks everyone.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate