Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 AM  
Kid Safe

Keeping a hose from freezing.

I have a hose in the barn. The last time it was cold, it froze, dang it! Now, what is a good way to keep the hose from freezing? I swear I saw a hose in a box-like container somewhere, but I can't seem to find anything like it!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:32 AM  
Started

Living in Iowa, we have that problem. What we do is simple, disconnect the hose from the hydrant and blow out all the excess water. We then hang the hose in an upside U shape until the next time we need it.

In Loving Memory of my Grandpa and Best Friend,
Stanley Howard Sherer Oct.3,1932-Mar.25,2007
kindredspiritsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:48 AM  
Weanling Member

i know what your talking about for the hose in a box. the hose winds up and it becomes flat there fore removing the water with in the hose. you can buy them almost any where nowadays. We have quite a few and they work well the only thing is that you have to real them in every time and they are not very long so you may need a few which could be a hassle depending on your situation. i'll find it on the net and post it for you.

~~___(\\
.../< >\\
bfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:58 AM  
Weanling Member

here it is, never heard of this store but i'm sure you could just order it on line, we got ours from fleet farm but they don't show thier merchandise over their website. hope it helps, this one is 50ft in length, maybe long enough for you:
http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.co...openparent=259

it is so compact that you could even bring it inside if you were really worried about any freezing being possible!

~~___(\\
.../< >\\
bfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:01 AM  
Started

At my grandparents house (where my 2 year old and my mom's riding horse are kept) we run the hoses through the rafters... Throw them up and just keep pulling until the entire hose is drained. Then we take them down and coil them up. They can't freeze if there's no water in there..

At dads, he waters every other night and the hoses are kept in our basement. So he's lugging those hoses out of our basement every other night. It's a pain!

I'll never forget you, Clyde! 3/18/02-12/30/06.
You left me too soon, Peppy. It will never be the same without you 4/18/91 - 5/1/09.
BarrelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:21 AM  
ron
Started

i have never had a problem with a hose freezing.

80* here to day

mwaaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaa

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:25 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
i have never had a problem with a hose freezing.

80* here to day

mwaaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaa
Oh yes so funny... Last week we had highs in the 40's and all over campus people were in t-shirts, and there were football games played outside... everyone wearing shorts and t-shirts!

I'll never forget you, Clyde! 3/18/02-12/30/06.
You left me too soon, Peppy. It will never be the same without you 4/18/91 - 5/1/09.
BarrelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:49 AM  
Weanling Member

Well we dont get to many freezes here.but when we do,we roll hose up lay on top of some hay,an throw a old wool blanket on it.Always has worked for us.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 AM  
Kid Safe

hoses

Hey, Ron...80 here today, too! Not that far from you. But, I'm planning ahead. Since the hose is in the barn, if the temp at night gets below freezing, it freezes the hose...and there's no sun to thaw it out the next day!

Thank you for the link.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:05 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Now, what is a good way to keep the hose from freezing?
Keep it warm?

(Sorry, just could not resist. Unfortunately I have no words of whiz-dom, just sarcasm.)
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Location: Clyde, NC > 9 miles of friendly people, plus 1 old crab
my hose is hooked up to the well, and I have to hook it up and unhook then blow the acess water out of the hose. Mines about 100ft long. The well is far from the water tanks And I try to set some of the hose in the sun, in case I didn;t get all the water.

Support the wild horses on North Carolina Outer Banks
http://www.corollawildhorses.com/
Kelly4NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:09 PM  
Yearling Member

We always unhook our hoses and drain them. They tend not to freeze that way, and they don't cause the ppip to burst. But if anyone knows of a product/method that would keep me from having to unhook the hose everytime, let me know!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:15 PM  
Bombproof Member

Couldn't tell ya. We can't use hoses without unhooking and draining them every single time from October-May.

One thing I have seen, though, depending on how long the hose is and where it is located, is to make a tall Y to support the middle of the hose, then unhook the end when you finished - the water runs right out both ends. That way you don't have to drain it by hand or by blowing it out, and all you have to do is screw it on and off each time.

As for me, since we didn't get the underground line in this fall, I'll be hauling five gallon buckets all winter. One in each hand makes for balanced muscles though!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:22 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Location: Clyde, NC > 9 miles of friendly people, plus 1 old crab
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest_moon
We always unhook our hoses and drain them. They tend not to freeze that way, and they don't cause the ppip to burst. But if anyone knows of a product/method that would keep me from having to unhook the hose everytime, let me know!
Same here!!!! Let me know as well

Support the wild horses on North Carolina Outer Banks
http://www.corollawildhorses.com/
Kelly4NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid
Couldn't tell ya. We can't use hoses without unhooking and draining them every single time from October-May.

As for me, since we didn't get the underground line in this fall, I'll be hauling five gallon buckets all winter. One in each hand makes for balanced muscles though!
I feel for you! We were without ANY water for two weeks, our pipes froze, we just got water back on Friday. We were showering at the grandparent's house, doing laundry at the laundromat, drinking bottled water, and carrying water from the creek to four horses.

How far do you have to carry water?
Miichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:18 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miichelle
How far do you have to carry water?
Not very far - maybe 30 yards, if that. After three or four trips though it gets to looking a little further each time...

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:39 PM  
Seasoned

Move said hose to Ron's house....
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:52 PM  
Weanling Member

I was just talking to my father in law,in ky. He said he bought them long foam things that the kids play in the pool with,and put his hose in them,then taped the ends.He doesent roll his up, or take in any more,cause its been working for him. Im going to try that I hate rolling up a hose.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM  
Coming two

Pool noodles to the rescue! Is there anything they're not good for?
Promise Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 AM  
Long Yearling

That is the only thing I dislike about having horses. The dreaded hose freezing time of the year. I am having the same problem and no matter what I am getting the money together to get electric and water in the barn in 2007! I am having the same problems the reel things break on me everytime I buy them so my only option is to bring the hose inside (always attractive when non horsey visitors pop in) because no matter how hard I try i never get all the water out and it freezes anyway because I have to use like 75 feet of hose. I put it in one of those big plastic containers and put the lid on it.

"To many, the words love, hope, and dreams are synonymous with horses" - Anonymous
ilovepaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate