Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM  
Newborn Member

Fertilizing Pasture

I need some advice about granulated fertilizer. I have my place divided into 3 small pastures and 4 lots. I want to do fall fertilizer on my front pasture and back pasture and reseed it for spring, but I need to put my weanlings out there so they will be far from their dams. If I fertilize and top seed before I put them out there will it hurt them? I know that it is bad for horse to eat lawn grass treated with chemicals to kill grubs, etc, but what about fertlizer?
I usually have all of my foals weaned long before this, so I don't have a problem, but my foals came about 2 months apart for 6 months. What a nightmare!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:35 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I have no experience in this area and am definitely not an expert----but my gut is saying "no". I would not put my horses on freshly fertilized pasture. We kept ours off for several weeks after fertilizing this spring (several good rains). Try calling your farm extension agent or your vet. Let us know what you find out.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:58 PM  
Coming two

I asked my farmer who grows my hay for advice on our grass. He said fertilizer and lime. I was worried about the horses.

He told me to keep the horses off of it until it rains. Haven't done it yet, but it sounds about right to me.

Jena <3
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 PM  
Kid Safe

I would not recommend putting horses on a pasture immediately after fertilizing. Unlike cattle, horses eat to the ground level, so will pick up the actual fertilizer.

I wait for at least one good rain after using liquid fertilizer or if I use granular fertilizer I wait till I can no longer see any evidence of fertilizer on a test area, which usually takes several weeks and rains.

Just me...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:57 PM  
Newborn Member

Ferrilizing Pasture

Thanks everyone. The colt took weaning very well, so I have him and my old mare on one side of the barn and the other two mares on the other side, so they won't be in the pastures until next spring. We got some rain (finally, but not nearly enough) and I got the pastures top seeded and fertilized, but I think I need to put lime on the pasture too.
Babycakes, how much lime does your farmer use? I have a lawn spreader that I pull with my garden tractor and wonder if I should set the opening for granular fertilizer to spread the lime. I believe I read somewhere that if you have moss growing on the ground in your pasture that it needs lime. Please ask him if that is true.
Thanks, Sheila
Old 10-20-2006, 01:10 PM  
Kid Safe

While you're at it, ask him when is the best time of the year to lime. I need to lime my pasture, but don't have a clue what time of year it should be done...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:14 PM  
Long Yearling

the farmer next to us limes his field early in the year. I believe about March. I will ask my husband - he used to help his dad with cattle and hay when small (not willingly, LOL, forced child labor per hubby)
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate