Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2006, 06:26 PM  
Yearling Member

What is the average pay for barn help?

Hey all,

My new barn was finished last week and all but one stall has been filled. I need to hire someone to come in and feed, clean stalls and turn out for me in the mornings, about 4 days a week. My husband works til noon and I am in school all day.
What is the going rate for barn help?? I've heard as low as minimun wage and as high as $9.00 an hour. I want to be competitive but I don't want to go broke either!
It would probably be about 10am-2pm.

Thanks in advance!
J
Old 10-03-2006, 06:43 PM  
Weanling Member

What about offering free board to someone in exchange for work??
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM  
Long Yearling

Where are you located in OH? I might be able to help you out.
soccer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:16 PM  
Weanling Member

My barn (108 horses total in and out) barters board discounts with work. They have had paid help which I think, was paid around $6.00 hour.
jamied99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:38 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I made $9 per hour feeding 2x, grooming, bathing and longing halter horses, no overtime pay. At another barn I traded work for board and made $1 a stall that I cleaned. At another one I did afternoon feeding every day in exchange for board on 1 1/2 horses or $225 a month.

Just recently I saw an ad for a large sale barn that was looking for a stall cleaner for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday for $8 an hour. Cleaning the stalls after a show or horse sale.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via MSN to Morwen
My barn pays $6 an hour, and if you do a really good job you'll get raised to $7... they have about 35 horses, and clean the stalls daily along with turnouts and feeding 3x. There are probably 10+ people who clean and feed though, most of them being boarders who help pay for their board by working, or working students who gets free lessons.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 PM  
Kid Safe

I don't know what the average rate of pay is,but at one place I boarded I worked for my horse's board. I cleaned all stalls unless there was one I wasn't suppose to clean,watered ,groomed and helped exercise some of horses.

If not at home try the barn.
beckyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 PM  
Kid Safe

I was paid $6.50 an hour when I worked at a small jumper barn. I cleaned stalls, added shavings, cleaned water buckets, hayed, fed, (either turned out or brought them in at night) Groomed them, put on their blankets/flysheets, and swept every day. About once a week I cleaned out all water troughs and I dragged fields every now and again. If I was there after she rode I would clean tack and rinse the horses. If I needed to feed in the morning and night she paid me a flat rate between $100-$200.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:07 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Shiloveshorses
I made 6 an hour for 7 days a week almost all day depending on what needed to be done. I worked all holidays and almost every weekend. I only feed twice a day on weekends. I loved the work and miss it. It started interfering with taking care of my daughter, she wasn't allowed when I worked during the day. I have looked for more work doing that here but haven't been able to find anything.

Don't give up on today's dreams as they could be tomorrow's reality.........http://www.gofundme.com/71uatk
Shiloveshorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:43 AM  
A J
Greenbroke Member

I worked at some barns that exchanged board for work - sometimes 2 or 3 (or more!) boarders would participate, and the advantage is that it is also their own horse that they are feeding, so if there is one of those "I don't feel like working today" days, they are much more likely just to get over it and come anyways!

The one barn paid $12/feeding, and $1.50 per stall. I think for me it generally worked out to about $6/hour, but that came straight off my board, not taxed, so it was as if I was getting paid more. Worked great for me!

I would highly recommend paying "by the job" as opposed to by the hour - that way, if someone is slower, or just doesn't feel like hurrying that day, it doesn't make a difference to your pocketbook. Plus, no arguments about someone making more $$ just cause they don't work as hard.

My last barn paid me $60 cash for cleaning on Sunday mornings, if I hurried I could do it in 4 hours, but a more comfortable pace put it at about 5 hours (that included feeding lunch, but no turnouts on Sundays).

The boarders seem to care more, which is one reason I would steer you strongly in that direction!

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:08 AM  
Newborn Member

Hello;

I work every weekend Saturday and Sunday and receive free board. I start at 6:00am, feed, hay, turnout, stalls, water, sweep, etc. I do the turn-ins at 2:00pm, retreive feed buckets, refill water buckets and feed the last hay at 6:00pm on Saturdays. I do the same on Sundays but, after turn-ins, it's my time to ride. I also work on Tuesday and Thursday in the morning from 7:30am to 10:00am and receive gas money. It ends up being about $3.30 an hour. Did I mention there are 35 horses? Good Luck finding someone as daft as I am!!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 AM  

We paid by the hour and by the stall. We paid $2.50 per stall and you could clean 3.5 or 4 stalls per hour. We picked out the stalls at night before we went home so there wasn't as much in them.

When we paid by the hour it took longer for stall to get cleaned if they all would in the time worked. I think I cleaned more stalls then the stall cleaners.
tuffsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 AM  
Started

When I worked at the track (in NY), I was making $100 a day. Worked out to about 10 an hour, as I was usually there 10 hours a day...
That included, feeding, turnout, tacking up for excercise, cool down walking, rub downs, bathing, wrapping legs. NO stall cleaning (except my own).
Of course I also had my horses there and didn't have to pay board (stall rent) but did provide my own feed and hay.

Loved it, would do it again in a heartbeat.

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:19 PM  
ron
Started

you pay your barn help?

<<<sulks off muttering about the cheap tmom>>>

Ron

The Barn Slave

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 PM  
Pasture Pet

Your hours may be really attractive to someone who has kids in school and wants to be there when they get home from school. (Not really your question I know, but a good angle to take when hiring).

We pay the kids $7.50 an hour to help out with lessons (tacking up, sweeping the barn, cleaning tack). So far I do all the barn work, but we are looking to hire someone to work once a week or so, and plan to offer them $25.00-$30.00 to do the morning chores (turn out, feed, clean stalls). This only takes me 2 hours, but legally we have to pay for at least 3 hours labour, so I will likely add watering the arena or something to the list of morning chores. Either the pay can come off their bill, or be paid out.

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:23 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
you pay your barn help?
As usual, ron cracks me up with so few words . . . I gotta get me some of that "concise" bug . . .
Old 10-06-2006, 08:49 AM  
Kid Safe

Listen Ron, I'm pretty sure TMom pays you in other ways ...
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:05 AM  
Started

Iworked for a Standardbred farm back when I was like 19. I cleaned stalls, tacked horses, untacked horses, fed, watered and cooled down. I was paid $9.00 an hour!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:49 PM  
Kid Safe

My trainer swaps out discounted training for barn help.

Divinemisselle and I both go out during the week - she goes 3x, I go 1x.

Since I have no one over for training, I just use my time with her to gain more knowledge and experience. To me the knowledge I gain is worth the time I spend.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:52 PM  
Long Yearling

around here it depends on what you can get and need.
Barn managers around here are getting $10-$15 an hour. Regular "stable help" around $7
Not many places will do the "work off board" option,,, which kinda stinks. but I understand the whys. I was getting about $15/20 when working in NC.. but I have a business degree and horse management skills and A LOT of horse experience
RhettsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate